RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:52:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | April Community Playthrough - Ys Books I & II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: April Community Playthrough - Ys Books I & II  (Read 36090 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2016, 10:03:31 AM »

Is the SMS version just Book 1?  I actually know where it is and will play that far if that is the case.  Can't find the Turbo Duo or the games. Sad

Yep, the SMS version is Book I only.

I have some kind of mental block about playing pre-PS1 RPGs, but I'll try out book 1 on TurboCD and see how it goes.

Cool, hope you enjoy it.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2016, 10:05:30 AM »

Today is the first day of the Ys: Books I & II playthrough.  I'll be hosting this month, so I'll be interested in seeing all of your comments regarding the game here.  I have posted some basic checkpoints in the initial post, so try to keep plot spoilers out of the general conversation unless you use a spoiler tag.  Thanks and enjoy!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »

@Addicted: All Turbo/PCE CD-ROMS are region free. Ys just needs a basic system card, so you should be fine.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »

Is the SMS version just Book 1?  I actually know where it is and will play that far if that is the case.  Can't find the Turbo Duo or the games. Sad

Yep, the SMS version is Book I only.

Add me to the list than!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2016, 03:41:38 PM »

@Duke: I should have clarified. My PC Engine Duo probably needs its caps replaced so I'll be surprised if it plays anything.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »

@Duke: I should have clarified. My PC Engine Duo probably needs its caps replaced so I'll be surprised if it plays anything.

If 8bitBernie was in charge, you'd get that cap replacement for free!

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2016, 06:01:14 PM »

If 8bitBernie was in charge, you'd get that cap replacement for free!

I found 8 Bit Donald posting in the 3 word story thread.  Does that count?

SMS set complete!
theGrue
Android Developer
Programmers

Stats
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »

Fired this one up on the Wii Virtual Console and had a blast! Count me in to finish it. I haven't really played anything on the TG-16, so I'm excited to broaden my retro gaming horizons a bit.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2016, 09:34:15 AM »

Started last night and went from absolutely hating Ys to really enjoying it. Initially I couldn't get the game to open in a properly sized window (I'm playing on PC) and it could about 2 hours of changing game settings to finally get it to work. I like that I have the option to play in full screen or a 4:3 window with nice borders and character/enemy info.

Once I finally got everything up and running it was a nightmare adjusting to the movement which is so fast and hard to control. Then I would get lots of game overs because I didn't know you can save anywhere you want. It's was very frustrating to replay the same 20 minutes over and over again. But now I've become accustomed to all the game's nuances I'm really enjoying it. Last night I made it to the second town and did a lot of level grinding. It's so satisfying to just steam roll through enemies. Wink

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2016, 10:22:59 AM »

Taking my son to his art class, but when I get back I'm firing it up.  Super stoked, as i haven't played the original release is years!

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2016, 05:04:22 PM »

Just finished Book 1.  It took a little time for me to get used to the game mechanics, but once I got the hang of it, I really started enjoying this one. 

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »

Hey Rich, guess what?

SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »

You actually found a system you can play?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2016, 07:38:33 PM »

Just finished Book 1.  It took a little time for me to get used to the game mechanics, but once I got the hang of it, I really started enjoying this one. 

I finished Book I this week too. About halfway into the 2nd

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »

You actually found a system you can play?

Spoiler (hover to show)

SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length