RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:36:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Horror Movie Marathon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Horror Movie Marathon  (Read 7894 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: June 10, 2016, 03:40:22 PM »

So the wife and I have decided to do a 31-day horror movie marathon.  Let me make this clear, we are not doing 31 consecutive nights of horror movie watching, but instead, pushing it out over several weeks starting in July with a plan to release it in October, maybe Halloween day.  The plan is to watch a movie (just us or with friends) and immediately afterwards share out thoughts and memories (if we have any) about it.  I have around 150 horror films in my collection to choose from and Netflix, so we should be watching some pretty good stuff. We laid out some ground rules and curious about everyone's thoughts.  BTW, my wife really doesn't like horror movies, i.e. she kind of does, but doesn't like to admit it.  Grin

Rules:
(1) Watch a total of 31 horror movies over 31 days (not consecutive) starting in July. Friends are
       welcome to join each viewing;
(2)  A total of 31 alternating picks, 15 picks each, with the final pick being an agreed upon pick;
(3) Each person gets one veto, that must be used at the time the pick is made, once the next pick
       is made, the veto is moot;
(4) If a movie has been seen by either party in the last few years, both parties have to agree to
      watch it again;
(5) No back to back, horror/comedy picks; exception for the 31st pick;
(6) A recording will immediately follow each viewing; guests are always allowed to participate;
(7) All recordings will be put together into one file and released October 31st;
(8 ) Only one film can be picked per series (i.e. only one Friday the 13th film, etc.).

I also have a buddy to teaches college courses on horror films and comics and I may get him to review our picks and give some further insight and history on the films, if he has the capabilities to record.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:49:18 PM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:14:13 PM »

That sounds like a really cool idea. I don't think I could ever get Will to watch horror movies with me.
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 09:22:31 PM »

Sounds great, my wife would never do this. I love horror and its probably the genre I watch the most.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 09:26:55 PM »

Sounds great, my wife would never do this. I love horror and its probably the genre I watch the most.

It's funny, my wife is not really a fan and covers her face a lot. However, there is something about them that makes her want to watch them every once in a while. She is a big reader and really likes the paranormal romance stuff. I hate to say it, but I think that True Blood and Twilight have kind of softened her to the genre a bit. I'm sure some of the movies she picks will be more on the comical side as opposed to the more intense slasher movies. But don't fear, I love slasher films and my picks will definitely reflect that.

We watched Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter on our anniversary this year. She picked it. Ha ha

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 09:28:47 PM »

That sounds like a really cool idea. I don't think I could ever get Will to watch horror movies with me.

Maybe if you tried after baseball season??

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »

It's funny, my wife is not really a fan and covers her face a lot. However, there is something about them that makes her want to watch them every once in a while. She is a big reader and really likes the paranormal romance stuff. I hate to say it, but I think that True Blood and Twilight have kind of softened her to the genre a bit. I'm sure some of the movies she picks will be more on the comical side as opposed to the more intense slasher movies. But don't fear, I love slasher films and my picks will definitely reflect that.

We watched Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter on our anniversary this year. She picked it. Ha ha

I think the only ones she would watch are the so bad its funny horror movies. She gets nightmares really easy, lol. She would never watch anything like The Witch or It Follows

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 08:56:36 AM »

I think the only ones she would watch are the so bad its funny horror movies. She gets nightmares really easy, lol. She would never watch anything like The Witch or It Follows

Pretty sure the wife and I watched It Follows on our anniversary weekend last year.  Quite honestly, I was never a big horror movie fan growing up and kind of tossed the genre aside, viewing it as a sort of unprofessional/hack (pun intended) form of entertainment.  I also had a very odd experience with horror films growing up, which I will save for the podcast. However, in the early 2000's I met a guy who was really into horror flicks and just hearing him talk about them really changed my mind about how I viewed the entire genre.  After watching a few of his suggestions (more notably some of the Italian giallo films), I learned to really appreciate the work and art form applied to them. Sure, like films of all genres, there are some that are incredibly bad, but overall, many are very well done.  I think that introducing the right horror films to newcomers is key, and in my wife's case, the more suspenseful, detective stories are what interest her most.  I think this will be a fun time for both of us and we'll throw in a few comedies and softer films along the way to mix it up.  If I know my wife, she will try to throw in some of her favorites like "Sleepway Camp" and "Motel Hell," which was one of the first films we saw when we started dating. I know, I'm shocked we've lasted this long too. 

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »

Italian Giallo films are some of my favorites to watch. I like the weird stuff. 😊 Going to watch "The Cat in the Brain" next. It supposed to be extremely gory, it is Lucio Fulci.

Yeah, I am going to see what I can put her through. It will probably be stuff like Boa vs. Python, Sand Sharks, etc. I think that is all she can handle. I mostly watch Horror movies with my best friend. He is constantly finding and buying horror movies from the 70s and 80s we never heard of before.

Yeah, I agree with introducing the right horror for newcomers is key. My wife told me she used to watch some horror. She has watched the Evil Dead series but I think that is as scary as it gets. She likes period pieces, so maybe I need to find something that is a mix of genres. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter will probably get chosen.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:44:00 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 07:47:15 AM »

Well, the wife and I have posted the pilot episode of our new horror podcast.  Give us a listen and let me know what you think. http://shehatehorror.podb...ero-her-nightmare-begins/

johan
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 04:31:40 PM »

Hi, if can you recommend me some good horrors? I've watched almost everything and I am looking for something which will leave me sleepless.

To want to, is to be able to.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length