RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:06:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Modern local multiplayer games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Modern local multiplayer games  (Read 1186 times)
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:40:06 AM »

What the heck happened to local multiplayer? I didn't think it would be too much to expect there to be 4 player split screen racers on current gen consoles. I mean they have so much more power than previous consoles and somehow can no longer handle this? Have gamers suddenly become hermits unwilling to share their gaming joy with other actual people in the same room?

It really seems crazy, considering like I mentioned earlier, systems have a lot more power behind them now, no more control tangling since it's all wirless, and finally our TVs are big enough to make split screen not so painful... Its like everything we needed all this time is right there, so why the neglect from major parties. Why is it only the indies who are really still doing this?

I've never played Cel Damage, but think the beginning of their trailer illustrates this well.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:03:33 AM »

I did a whole write-up on this last year:
http://www.rfgeneration.c...les-is-the-Couch-3058.php

Racers, yeah, sadly not as many as there should be.  The new Trackmania is superb though, and Mario Kart 8 is the first full-blown racer in the series to me.

There are some fun couch co-op gaming on modern systems, as our gaming crew can attest; they just don't get a lot of press.

Keelah se'lai
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:04:50 AM »

Cool write up! Mario Kart 8 and Smash were awesome on the Wii U and the go to multiplayer games for us for a while. Since upgrading to a PS4 I've been a little disappointed that with the extra console power and much bigger library, we haven't had as much 3+ player fun yet.

It's been a blast for solo adventures and 2 player fighters, but add another player or two and it's been a bit of a struggle. So far Helldivers and Gauntlet have been good but we need something a little more, a little different to add some variety. While we'll probably not get a good Mario Kart 8 alternative, perhaps I can hold out hope for a much improved PlayStation All-Stars for this gen... Might have to keep an eye on Trackmania if it goes on special. I played a PC version of it WAY back that wasn't very good so avoided it like the plague since... but that was some time ago.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length