RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:40:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Collection questions / feature requests from an RFG noob 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Collection questions / feature requests from an RFG noob  (Read 2640 times)
ugr
DB Contributor

Stats
« on: September 01, 2016, 03:44:25 PM »

Hi there!

I recently joined RFG, and I noticed an awesome community attached. I hope I get a chance to participate, even though life regular saps all of my free time away from me.

Anyway, RFG was recommended by several folks to manage and inventory my collection, which I'm awfully slow at entering but hope to solve eventually. I've had fun checking out all of the cool stuff people have, and made ONE WHOLE database submission (incredible, I know)...!

I see that there are ways to find matches for buying and selling, and I think that's awesome. One thing I was thinking would be really helpful is being able to "friend" people on RFG. This could be useful, for example, to:
  • Stat compare with friends, how many games does everyone have, etc
  • Get notifications when friends add games to their collections, buy, or wishlists
  • Do the same buy/sell matching, but limit to friends.
  • Limit collection (parts or all) viewing to people you know, if desired.
Maybe this is already under development and I don't know it? I did a search for "compare collection" and "friend collection" which didn't really yield the kind of results I wanted so I'm posting this. Hopefully it's not an annoyance. =]
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:55:53 PM »

as far as i know that feature doesn't exist, though it would be nice to have. the next best thing is a buddy system on the forums, but that has no connection to the collection tools, it only helps you see when buddies are online easier. it's under profile, then "edit buddies" on the left.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »

Hello!

Thanks for the suggestion, but as techwizard mentioned there is no concept of "Friends" in the collection tool, only the forum. I would LOVE to do something like this in the future, and it's honestly the first time it has been brought up since I've been on the site. I'll keep it in mind when I get a chance to sit down and make some changes to the collection tool later this year.

ugr
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 03:04:51 PM »

That would be awesome! I know code but have no idea how the collection tool is written, so maybe I can help with prototyping some of it out, or at least provide some logic/flowcharty stuff. Please send me a ping if you'd like me to articulate any of the ideas further.

Also, thanks techwizard for pointing out the forum buddies thing, not exactly what I was looking for but I didn't realise it existed; it's a start, and maybe we can use that as a starting point for managing friends to collection-compare with.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:30:58 PM »

Hello!

Thanks for the suggestion, but as techwizard mentioned there is no concept of "Friends" in the collection tool, only the forum. I would LOVE to do something like this in the future, and it's honestly the first time it has been brought up since I've been on the site. I'll keep it in mind when I get a chance to sit down and make some changes to the collection tool later this year.

We can become a game centric database/social network.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
ugr
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »

We can become a game centric database/social network.
I'm not really trying to suggest RFG become the next FriendFace, I was just trying to suggest some things that would help friends share their collections amongst themselves.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length