RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:40:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Episode #29 - RF Generation Playcast (Jaws & The Legend of Zelda) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Episode #29 - RF Generation Playcast (Jaws & The Legend of Zelda)  (Read 9670 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »

Nice response and article Pam!  As I have mentioned before, I played a decent amount of D&D growing up, so a lot of what I deem an RPG comes from those roots and I think all video game RPGs (and even other games we label differently, have similar qualities) to some extent, owe a lot to this history.  Personally, I define the term "RPG" through D&D and consider most games that have most, some, and even a few components of those early games an RPG.  With time, what we label an RPG has changed (your example of FF7 is fantastic) and this label is continually evolving and further fragmenting as more time passes.  We've even created sub-categories for RPGs to further differentiate this phenomenon.  As a result, I don't think anyone can neither "clearly" define what an RPG is, nor say that this game is one and this one is not.  How many elements of an RPG (if we are using D&D as a model) does a game need to be labeled an RPG?  Five? Three? Is even one enough?  What one thinks is a RPG, there is always someone who will argue, "Well, I don't know, it doesn't have this?" or "Well, this game has added this feature, so does it go too far and become something else?" 

Admittedly, I'm playing a little devil's advocate here (though I do strongly believe TLoZ has enough elements to be labeled an RPG).  However, while playing TLoZ this time around, I started having these thoughts about the game and some of the characteristics of TLoZ started meshing with elements from my D&D days.  As much as I can say that this game is an RPG, someone else can say it is not. But, at the core of it all, this definition is an impossible premise to agree upon and will always create conflict. For if you pin this definition down, you will not only eliminate games you don't consider RPGs, but also find that you will be singling out and force yourself to remove games that you love and vehemently consider RPGs.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 12:36:07 PM »

For me, in an RPG you need EXP or some sort, a way to level up your character.  You also need towns (or other place) that "enhances" the story or where you receive more quests.  Games like Zelda 1, the quest is laid out before you with no enhancement to the story.  FF, the quest is laid out before you but towns and other quests "enhance" the story.  Anything without would be in a different genre. Zelda 1: Adventure game, Zelda 2: RPG, LoZ:LttP: In between.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 07:38:59 PM »

You didn't believe me, I had to throw the Sunday Funday's in for proof. Wink  What?  You don't think the Sunday Funday's are real?  And I actually went to my parents to find Jaws.

* IMG_20160722_1856271_rewind.jpg (435.48 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 191 times.)

SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 07:49:07 PM »

That's not proof that you played it. Only that you own a $2 game surrounded by several $250 games. Wink

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 08:06:31 PM »

That's not proof that you played it. Only that you own a $2 game surrounded by several $250 games. Wink

Is this proof enough? Wink

* IMG_20160803_190355831_zps3k32fmg4.jpg (243.67 KB, 1024x576 - viewed 182 times.)

SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length