RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:58:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Episode #29 - RF Generation Playcast (Jaws & The Legend of Zelda) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Episode #29 - RF Generation Playcast (Jaws & The Legend of Zelda)  (Read 9591 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:18:10 PM »

Drops tomorrow with special guest, Duke.Togo!  Well.....maybe just "guest." Is he special? I dunno. Maybe.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 01:44:08 PM »

Listening now.

It was developed by westone bit entertainment... I Wonder what other games they developed?

This was a great episode. Thanks!

@Duke: You didn't yell in to the microphone?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:45:44 PM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »

@Duke: You didn't yell in to the microphone?

Was I supposed to?

I wonder if that is the same Westone that developed Wonder Boy?

Also, my mom always told me I was special.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »

Such a potty mouth. Put poor Floyd to work. Wink

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 08:23:50 AM »

@Duke: Yes. You can kill the Pols Voice in the FDS and Famicom versions by making loud noises in the microphone.

You are correct. They did develop the Wonder Boy series. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/...Westone_Bit_Entertainment

You are special  Wink

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 11:22:20 AM »

I know Duke knows about the Pols Voice in prior discussions we've had. Sucks that we forgot to mention it.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 11:25:55 AM »

@singlebanana: That's the nature of podcasting. There's always something that's forgotten or facts that aren't quite right but if everyone stopped to check it would kill the flow of discussion and wouldn't be entertaining.

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 04:30:07 PM »

I am going to have to agree with Duke and the guys who say Zelda is an Adventure game, not an RPG.  There is no party, no grinding, no random encounters, no stats really to speak of.  The weapons you get are items, some of which can be taken away.  It doesn't have any of the hallmarks of an RPG, but it does give you a sword and say go out and explore.  That sounds like an adventure game to me. 
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 08:43:38 PM »

I knew I liked you for a reason, Wempster.

Also, I call shenanigans on all the bleeping. I think there was some unnecessary censoring going on.

We also forgot to mention this difference about the 2nd quest: the stupid red and blue bubbles. Grrrrrr.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 08:13:57 AM »

I knew I liked you for a reason, Wempster.

Also, I call shenanigans on all the bleeping. I think there was some unnecessary censoring going on.

We also forgot to mention this difference about the 2nd quest: the stupid red and blue bubbles. Grrrrrr.

Sailors can't call shenanigans....

Oh wow, how did we forget the bubbles?? Ugh, worst part of the second quest for me.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 08:29:36 AM »

I am going to have to agree with Duke and the guys who say Zelda is an Adventure game, not an RPG.  There is no party, no grinding, no random encounters, no stats really to speak of.  The weapons you get are items, some of which can be taken away.  It doesn't have any of the hallmarks of an RPG, but it does give you a sword and say go out and explore.  That sounds like an adventure game to me.  

1. No party - okay, so the first Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior isn't an RPG...
2. No grinding - you do some grinding for Rupees, which you need to purchase items. Many of these items either allow you to move forward in the game (like in many RPGs), or in the case of the blue ring, increase your defensive stats by lowering your Armor Class so that you take less damage
3. No random encounters - soooooo.........you saying the Ys series isn't an RPG either?
4. Not stats - no "visible" number stats as you see in lots of RPGs, but in equipping different swords and rings, respectively, your ATK goes up in number and your AC goes down (which though not visible to the player is based on an internal, numerical formula within the game's program). This is proven in how many hits it takes to dispatch enemies based on sword quality. Blue Moblins are a great example: wood sword - 3 hits, white - 2, and magical - 1.
5. Items can be taken away - which items (plural) are you referring too?  The only item that can be "taken" is the magic shield. The magic shield provides NO benefit in terms of stats. It does not lower your AC, it merely allows you to block different types of projectiles. As stated before, the only items that benefit stats are your swords and your rings (which cannot be taken away).  Like many RPGs, the purchasing or discovering of new weapons and armor increase your ATK and DEF stats respectively. I would argue that Zelda is no different in this regard.
6. Gives you a sword and says go out and explore - Wow! You basically just described about every RPG I've ever played. How many RPGs have you played where you begin in a "starting town," walk around it, find a little gold (or start out with some), walk in an item shop (cave), and buy your first offensive weapon and maybe a cloth robe for defense if you have enough money. I really can't remember the last RPG I played that didn't start out this way.

You guys are going to have to do better...

I think that the biggest point I am trying to make is that you CANNOT specifically define what an RPG is. With the development of new games year in and year out, the term continues to fragment and evolve.  As an early game, Zelda takes a great deal from early tabletop D&D. Though seemingly different on the face, many facets of the traditional RPG are hidden within it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:34:59 AM by singlebanana » Logged

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 08:53:12 AM »

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is an RPG by these criteria.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 09:05:39 AM »

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is an RPG by these criteria.

Maybe it is.  Maybe Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the Pitfall! of RPGs. Wink

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 09:19:34 AM »

I enjoyed the episode a lot and it got me thinking what an RPG really is. To me, an RPG means playing a role. This is something like D&D, or video game-wise, Fallout or Baldur's Gate. You create a character, give them a personality, make decisions and choose abilities that shape them. Things like XP and levelling up are secondary. However, by this more narrow definition, I'd argue that most JRPGs aren't actually role playing games. Taking FF7 as a well known example, you don't shape your character. Cloud is Cloud. He levels up, he gets new abilities, but it's the exact same Cloud for you as it is for me. Looking at LoZ, Link is just an empty shell. His only role is swinging a sword. I wouldn't classify it as an RPG by my more narrow definition, but in terms of the broad "assuming the role of a character in a fictional setting" then it is. But so is almost every other game.
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 09:21:07 AM »

As I was typing this I had a feeling I've said all this before somewhere, and it ended up I had.

http://www.cannotbetamed..../09/18/role-playing-game/
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length