RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:26:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Repairs and Mods help 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Repairs and Mods help  (Read 1133 times)
seniorSPC
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: February 01, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »

I've been collecting for a few years now but some of my original console's from when I was kid have crapped out (SNES and Sega CD). I was wondering if there was some place you guys recommended for repairs and mods so I can get the most out of my systems.

Thanks in advance.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »

If you can describe your problems in more detail, that may help. You may also want to contact @yoshiknuckles on Twitter.

Also, welcome to RFG!

seniorSPC
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:12:45 PM »

Well for the SNES it's the video, it turns on but it doesn't display on the TV. I've got it to play once since I've started to have issues. My Sega CD model 2 won't read discs and I'm not competent enought to try and replace the laser. Lastly my Game Gear needs new capacitors and I don't know anything about soldering. I just figured someone on here knows someone who's good at repairing and get people's opinions on who's good at modding.
CrossBow
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 12:39:29 PM »

On the SNES, if you ever gotten a game to come up and load, then I think the issue is more to do with dirty or worn contacts on the games, and or the cartridge connector on the SNES itself. Get you an old credit card, and bit of cheese cloth, or something similar that is strong and absorbent, but not too thick. Wrap that around the edge of the credit card and then apply some good strong alcohol, like 90% of better if you can get it, and then just move up and down through the cartridge slot to get the pins cleaned up inside it. q-tips and alcohol on the games edge connector contacts as well. Keep cleaning until the black isn't there anymore on the cloth/q-tip.

As for the Sega CD it could be the laser, but they also are at the point where it could need the caps replaced as well. There are also some adjustments that can be made on the laser itself to help with read issues.

Gamegear recapping isn't the most fun, but it isn't the most difficult either. I just did a couple of them myself recently and it takes me more time to recap most other systems as compared to the gamegear. In any event, pretty much all gamegears require their capacitors to be replaced with the exception of perhaps the Majesco made ones.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length