RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:49:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | March 2017 Playthrough - Diablo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print
Author Topic: March 2017 Playthrough - Diablo  (Read 29502 times)
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »

Played for just under 2 hours, completed Level 1 of the Cathedral, found Wirt, and got the poisoned water quest.  Just not sure where to go to find the source..Cain says there is a tunnel somewhere but I haven't found it.  On to Level 2 tomorrow night.

You will find it pretty easily down in the labyrinth. I think it is level two or three. Just a heads up, just finding the source does not complete the quest. You will need to clear that entire area. Good luck!

Speaking of quests, I find that none of them are very difficult in terms of figuring out what to do and that you eventually run into your objective as long as you keep clearing levels.

I'm curious Crabby, what was your favorite section of the game?  I enjoyed the Caves the most. I really liked the atmosphere and enemies there the best. The larger sprites and the inability to hide in rooms made it rather fun and challenging.

Interesting. The Caves was easily my least favorite area. I love the Cathedral section the most. Gets me really nostalgic for Hero's Quest. That type of setting is typically my fav in these games. The dungeon you fight Andarial in Diablo II feels very similar and I love it.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »

I guess for me, the Caves felt the most different in terms of terrain and lack of walls. Also liked the bigger demon sprites.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »

I'm with Crabby. I liked the Cathedral section. It made me feel like I was entering a foreboding place. I played a lot of the Ultima and Gold Box games as a kid so maybe this is why.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2017, 11:26:47 AM »

I loved the Cathedral as well. Then again, I felt like anything past it was kinda uninspired and there weren't really any quests or anything to do besides just find the next exit. Everything felt very front-loaded.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2017, 11:27:53 AM »

Also, how about the music in this game?  20 years old and it still gives me chills.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »

Totally. Really helps drive home the atmosphere. I even feel uncomfortable in Tristram cause of the eerie tunes.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2017, 12:51:13 PM »

@singlebanana: The soundtrack causes me to stay a while and listen.  THE facepalm  Wink

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »

I'm having trouble remembering all of the music, but I love the acoustic guitar in the town theme.  A lot of the dungeon music was cool too, and I have to agree about the atmosphere.  The music during the Hell levels reminds me of music from Super Metroid.

Anyway, I finished the game last night.  I'm pretty sure I completed all of the achievements except for number 6.  Diablo himself ended up being a total pushover once I lured him away from all the other enemies and fought him one-on-one.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »

I feel like I've gotten over that hump in western RPGs where the game stops being terribly difficult and becomes almost too easy. I do have a pretty nice loadout with stat buffs all over the place. I've gone through floor 6 and 7 and the bone chamber with hardly a scratch and I'm one-shotting pretty much everything. I actually love when games reward the player for pushing through a tough beginning and I've gone from being scared and saving constantly, to having some comfort and saving only after a room or two is cleared. The ground of the town is a museum of all my loot. You know you're doing okay when you're dropping 5000 gold piles everywhere.

I told Rich last week that the game felt like work, but not necessarily in a bad way. Now I feel like I am completely having fun. Killing every single last enemy doesn't feel like a means of survival anymore.

I'm a big fan of the "funnel all the enemies through a doorway" strategy. Is this a flaw of the game's design or a feature?

I do love the music. Can't say much that hasn't already been said. It's just haunting and perfect.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2017, 02:03:29 AM »

@singlebanana: The soundtrack causes me to stay a while and listen.  THE facepalm  Wink

Ha!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »

I actually love when games reward the player for pushing through a tough beginning and I've gone from being scared and saving constantly, to having some comfort and saving only after a room or two is cleared.

I told Rich last week that the game felt like work, but not necessarily in a bad way. Now I feel like I am completely having fun. Killing every single last enemy doesn't feel like a means of survival anymore.

I'm a big fan of the "funnel all the enemies through a doorway" strategy. Is this a flaw of the game's design or a feature?

Yeah, I think that the game does have a tougher beginning and that when you settle in, it gets easier.  However, there are some moments where it gets a little hairy and your life bar starts to plummet quick.  I had some issues with a large group of Acid Beasts in one of the dungeons. I kept getting surrounded and when I would kill them, I would accidentally move my toon into a pool of the acid they leave behind. These pools do heavy damage and it was only magnified by being surrounded and hit by other ranged attacks.  I hate how ranged attackers run in this game.

I'm really glad you are having fun with this one.  I always get concerned when I pick a retro title. Ha ha!

Yes, I think that the doorway strategy isn't a flaw in the game's design, but one implemented on purpose. I feel this way because you have the option of pulling some enemies into a room and closing the door to shut off others. I can't recall, but can some enemies actually open doors after they see you do it?

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2017, 01:39:07 PM »

I can't recall, but can some enemies actually open doors after they see you do it?

Some of the enemies can open doors.  I specifically remember the Succubus-type enemies on the lower levels opening doors.

I started the game over again with the Rogue, and after clearing the first floor, the game seems easier with the Rogue than the Warrior.  I'm ready to get my revenge on all of those annoying ranged enemies who constantly run away!

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »

OK, so I finished level 2 last night and it was noticeably harder than level 1.  It was easy to get overwhelmed if you don't watch your positioning and I found my first bow and I was trying to pick things off at a distance, but my dude it blind and misses 4/5 shots at least.  Found the crack in the wall in level 2 but I am not strong enough for that area yet.  I got down to level 3 and cleared just that one little entrance area.  Finally have the book of healing so I don't have to rely on just potions.  It really picks up after level 1.  Music and atmosphere are insanely good.  Being a first timer, im never sure if I should use the scroll to retun to town or save that.  Or if I should go back to town as soon as my inventory is full or just drop useless stuff.  I'm still learning but I'm enjoying it more than the first hour I sat down with it.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »

Yeah, I use the hell out of Town Portal scrolls. They are super key. You can buy more from the witch outside of town to the East.

Increasing your Dexterity increases your hit %. This is huge for rogues.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »

Yeah, I use the hell out of Town Portal scrolls. They are super key. You can buy more from the witch outside of town to the East.

Increasing your Dexterity increases your hit %. This is huge for rogues.

Being so early, I didn't know if 200 gold was a lot to keep spending on those things.  Is there a quick way to get back to the dungeon level you just left?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length