RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:50:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | April 2017 Playthrough - Child of Light 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: April 2017 Playthrough - Child of Light  (Read 15330 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:28:32 PM »

This month we're taking a look at a game that has been on my radar since its release because of its unique style and almost universal critical acclaim. Also, it was developed and published by Ubisoft (yoo-bee-soft), a company well known for its prominent AAA series' such as Far Cry and Assassin's Creed.  

Child of Light is, incredibly, a turn-based RPG! Blending classic elements of Japanese RPG mechanics with a fresh watercolor art style and an innovative battle system, the game is easy to learn, difficult to master, and impossible to put down once you get started due to a provocative story and intriguing characters.

One of the great things about playing this game now is that it is pretty much the opposite of Diablo in almost every conceivable way. Where Diablo is brutal, dark, gritty, and unforgiving, Child of Light is relaxing, meditative, and colorful. I played Diablo in the morning over a hot cup of black coffee. I find myself playing Child of Light at night right before I go to bed. I loved Diablo, but I am finding Child of Light to be a perfect contrast to it.

The game is available on everything so there's no excuse not to join us!

Participants:
grayghost81
douglie007
disposed hero
raidou
zophar53
singlebanana
buriedonmars
crabmaster2000

Checkpoints
Week one - (4/1 - 4/8) - Chapter 1-3
Week two - (4/9 - 4/15) - Chapter 4-6
Week three - (4/16 - 4/22) - Chapter 7-8
Week four - (4/23 - 4/30) - Chapter 9-10

Tips and Tricks
-Explore every nook and cranny of the map for maximum lootage. Although you can rely on magic for much of the game, you may find you need to lean on items later on.

-Utilize Ignictus, especially in battle! Your little helper can heal you and slow down enemies on the timeline. Paying attention to Ignictus during battle will give you an incredible advantage.

-Don't get too comfortable with a specific set of party members. Experiment with different pairs, you may be surprised which ones work well with each other. Also (hint hint, wink wink) you never know who will actually be available for your party (from a story standpoint) at any given time.

-Put your headphones on if you can. The music and sound design in this game are breathtaking.

-At times, it can seem like almost your entire party is leveling up after every single battle. If distributing skill points every time gets annoying, put it off for a while, then do a bunch in a big chunk for each character. It can actually be way more satisfying to reach a powerful spell that once seemed way out of reach.

-Speaking of powerful spells, Unstoppable (full party) combined with Lull (full party) damn near break the game. You may think that should be under spoiler tags but it's not a spoiler, just a valid strat, my friend.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:11:56 AM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »

Announcement on today's front page. Who's joining us next month?

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »

I'm in of course

zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »

I'll join in this month. I've been meaning to try this game since I bought it when it came out but have never gotten around to it. It's looks gorgeous.

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 04:43:18 AM »

I'm on a massive Vita kick right now, so I'm in.
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:55:02 AM »

I've been playing my handhelds more lately and have been interested in this game for a while, so I just picked up a copy for the Vita and will plan on playing through this next month.  Looking forward to it!

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

BuriedOnMars
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »

This has been on my backlog for a long time.  Count me in.

Check out my youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/buriedonmars
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »

Tempted. Let me see if I can get it on vita

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now your playing with power!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »

Was told that Child of Light was a GOTM on Steam. Right now it's 50% off. Great timing!  Thanks BuriedOnMars!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »

Tempted. Let me see if I can get it on vita

If you need a copy for the Vita Russ, let me know. Tons of GameStops here with copies. Same goes for anyone else.

I don't want to speak for Shawn, but I think that I can safely state that Child of Light is a game you will not want to miss out on if you haven't played it yet.  As you know, we typically get started early so that we can map out the playthrough, and even though it's not my month to host, I find myself not being able to put this game down and thinking about during the long work lulls throughout the day.  It's as fun to play as it is beautiful and I don't want anyone to miss out on it.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 07:48:26 AM »

Just got a copy traded into the store yesterday! Persona 5 is gonna eat up most of my gaming time this month, but if I can squeeze in some Child of Light I will

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »

Persona 5 is gonna eat up most of my gaming time this month

I feel that! Luckily you can either blast through CoL this weekend of play it when you take breaks from P5.

Welcome to the playthrough everyone!

Checkpoints are in the op but I'll just say the game is ten chapters long so you can chop it up however you like, but as always please keep any spoiler talk on schedule.

I was inspired by Rich's "tips and tricks" segment in Diablo last month to put in some of my own for CoL. They have also been added to the op.

Thank you all who are participating! I know there have been some crazy hot releases this year so far (I took two days off of work to play Persona 5 this coming week) so we really appreciate the participation.

Enjoy the game!

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 05:43:35 AM »

Trying to put as much time in as I can before Persona so I got to Chapter 7 tonight. Fairly quick paced game.

You're totally right about feeling like someone in your party goes up a level every after every damn battle. It feels lame when you don't go up a level!

I'm not really feeling the story so far. I played through Song of the Deep pretty recently and the story telling and art style feel super similar and I didn't get too into the story on that one either. Something to do with the way it's being told I think. Just not very captivating even if the premise is neat.

Feels kinda odd having so many party members when you can only ever have 2 active ones. Finn is my boy though and I've been sticking with him exclusively since he joined. Slammed out his path for the Lightning attack that targets all enemies and have been spamming that like crazy along with my own Slash All attack. Took a few battles for the combat to sink in, but it is a lot of fun. I basically ignore my little fire fly though. Once in a while I remember he is there and just plop him on a teammate to recharge their health.

Is there any sort of bonus for getting all the collectibles in a certain area? I'm only missing like 3 chests in the second spot and wasn't sure if it was worth trying to find them.

I had my headphones on in bed tonight while playing and it does sound pretty great. I don't like the battle victory music, but pretty much everything else has been fantastic.

My one big complaint is that as beautiful as the backgrounds, buildings, enemies, allies and NPCs are it's like they went out of their way to make your playable character the ugliest thing on screen. She is often glaringly polygonal in an entirely 2d environment. Not sure if that as done to make her stand out, like she doesn't belong there or something, but it is very distracting. Not a fan of that decision. If that character was changed I think this would be up there with Odin Sphere and Muramasa as one of the best looking and most artistic games, but as it is there is constantly one big gross eye sore on the screen at all times. Her profile pic in the menus is great though so I really don't know why they did that.

I havn't had to use a single item yet either. Seems weird for how often I've been collecting them. 

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 04:14:45 AM »

Finished the game tonight. Was a lot shorter than I expected. I'll do my best to discuss without spoilers. I used 3 potions during the course of the game.....and that was it for items. I feel a little mislead in the item department since I open upward of 200+ treasure chests worth of stuff I largely didn't need to play the game.

I think it was also a mistake to show the player the skill trees available to them. Like I mentioned above I just stuck with Finn as my partner for the entire game (except when you are forced to use someone else story-wise). Being able to plan it out so that Finn was my Magic guy ad Aurora was my Muscle with some Light Magic that Finn was lacking made those two unstoppable. To the point that I beat the final and second to final boss without a single heal. They were putting out so much damage that the bosses little helper guys were out of the battle in 3 attacks. The bosses in this game are not threatening in the least once you kill their back up. 3 Star Lightening Attack and 3 Star Light Attack was wiping the board through the entire last couple dungeons even against enemies that were not vulnerable to those types of attacks. Made the combat a lot less interesting since I literally just did the same thing over and over with the occasional "darn I got interrupted...." then my second character would fry anything still standing. I almost exclusively was using "very long" attacks at the end was didn't get interrupted very often in battle as long as you used a defend when necessary. Made the whole battle system feel kinda meaningless as I learned to subvert it.

Child of Light really seems like an RPG-lite. Like a modern Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Incredibly easy and straight forward. Lots of rewards for little work (constant streams of items and gems, leveling up after each battle, very little progress required for story to advance, short game overall). It never requires you to actually learn how to use the systems effectively that are in the game to do well (gem crafting, item management, igniculus in battle, skill tree).

It also seemed like they were having trouble keeping up with the rhyming near the end. Igniculus would just pop into conversations that he wasn't a part of to add one single word that just happened to rhyme several times or they would use modern language that didn't fit the medieval Celtic feel of the game. The worst offender being when someone used the word "extreme" like they were a 90s neon-clad youth.

There was a side-quest near the end that I would have ignored if I realized it was optional that required me to backtrack to each area I had already visited and recruit Igniculus's buddies. It really showed off how small the world actually is when you can run across each area in like 1-2 minutes.

All in all I was thoroughly underwhelmed by everything Child of Light had to offer outside of it's art style and occasional song by the end of the game. Seems like it might be a great title for someone who is adverse to jRPG style games as an easier entry into the genre. They should have called it Child of Lite.......... ha............

Behold my game breaking Aurora!!

PS - Child of Light wishes it was as cool as FFIX!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:22:10 AM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 04:16:25 AM »

I just got to the thorn tree and beat the giant.  I like the art also but agree the story is ok.  I have only found the jester so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length