RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:54:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | September 2017 Playthrough - The Last Guardian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: September 2017 Playthrough - The Last Guardian  (Read 21769 times)
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
Re:
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2017, 08:18:30 PM »

I was looking at the trophies and it had kill the guards with the lighting tail.  But I never found the shield again. Did I miss it or will we get it again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2017, 06:53:19 AM »

I was looking at the trophies and it had kill the guards with the lighting tail.  But I never found the shield again. Did I miss it or will we get it again?

Ah.... Only time will tell

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2017, 08:33:50 PM »

New checkpoint is up!

I posted a question a few days ago on twitter and didn't get any bites. Maybe someone here wants to chime in?

I love animal companions in games, though Trico kind of goes above and beyond what I'm used to.

Some of my favorites are DD from MGSV, Korumaru from Perona 3, Rapede from Tales of Vesperia, Dogmeat from the Fallout games, and the dog from Fable II. All dogs!

What are some of your favorites and how do they compare to Trico?

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 02:29:45 AM »

New checkpoint is up!

I posted a question a few days ago on twitter and didn't get any bites. Maybe someone here wants to chime in?

I love animal companions in games, though Trico kind of goes above and beyond what I'm used to.

Some of my favorites are DD from MGSV, Korumaru from Perona 3, Rapede from Tales of Vesperia, Dogmeat from the Fallout games, and the dog from Fable II. All dogs!

Does Ruby from Lunar count?

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »

Does Ruby from Lunar count?

I haven't played it but based on how cute she is I'll have to say OH MY GOD YES.

(She looks like Trico, too!)

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2017, 12:05:32 PM »

I'm running behind again.  I know I've passed the first checkpoint, but I don't think I've hit the second yet.

I'm enjoying the game so far.  I get a little frustrated when I can't figure out what to do next, but I'm just not very patient.  Smiley

As far as the criticisms on Trico not obeying, I'm starting to see where that's coming from.  Sometimes I feel like I think I know how to progress, but when Trico doesn't obey my commands, I start to wonder if I'm trying to do the right thing.  Personally, I've found that less is more when it comes to commanding Trico.  Spamming commands tends to confuse the AI (or makes Trico disobedient, if they programmed it that way), and one simple command is usually enough to get him going in the right direction.  Many times he will often do the right thing on his own if I just leave him alone.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2017, 05:37:01 AM »

I'm a little late to the conversation, but I basically have to echo what's already been said. Although the controls may feel "sloppy" at times they also feel very appropriate to the game somehow. I had no issues with the controls of Trico either. Like has been mentioned it's not easy training an animal so it's kind of expected that they don't always listen to you or sometimes even misinterpret commands. I thought they did a great job making an AI that behaves as such. 

I liked the narration of your character as an older version of himself too. You'd think that would take away from the tension of "is my character going to survive this adventure", but since you're just as invested in Trico as you are with yourself I don't think it hinders that feeling very much.

When I was playing my family would occasionally watch and much like Rich's they would get really into it. Lots of tense moments when a guardian grabbed me or when I was forced to take a leap of faith and hope Trico would assist me. Even remember catching my wife grimacing in empathetic pain when pulling spears out of Trico. And the whole room, myself included, would occasionally tense up when making certain leaps because of the feeling of height. As with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus I continue to be very impressed with the amazing scale of the environments in these games. It's so cool to be alongside this enormous creature and still feel so pathetically minuscule compared with the ruins you're exploring.

New checkpoint is up!

I'd second Ruby from Lunar is an awesome companion. I've always liked Nakoruru's Bird companion in Samurai Shodown and more recently in King of Fighters XIV. I don't think it has a name or is even the same bird from game to game, but she's always been a very unique fighter because of it. Strider's Horde of mechanical animal companions in the Marvel vs Capcom games are some of my favorite special moves around. The Bear you could summon as a Druid in Diablo II was a beast too. He was great. The Prinny's in Disgaea are probably the most humorous animal companions of any game. Kirby's Dreamland 2's 3 animal companions blew my mind as a kid. The was a very unique idea at the time it seemed. Pikmin are pretty simple, but great companions. The robot animal companions you get in ReCore were surprisingly charming and actually had some personality to them as well, very surprising.

Peter from Earthworm Jim was a favorite of mine growing up also.

But hands down best animal companion has to be Rush from Mega Man. Dog can make you fly, shoot extra fire power, spring you to the full height of the screen, find hidden power ups, turn you into a beefcake that can punch through walls and give you submarine powers. He's amazing and Last Guardian would be a super easy game if you could Rush Jet around Wink

Poochi from the Yoshi games would get my vote as one of the worst examples of an animal companion though.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2017, 02:05:28 PM »

Thanks for the great comments this month everyone.  We will certainly be pulling from some of them during our recording this weekend!

The feels Crabby. THE FEELS!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2017, 08:02:59 PM »

Thanks for the great comments this month everyone.  We will certainly be pulling from some of them during our recording this weekend!

The feels Crabby. THE FEELS!

So much FEELS!!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »

The tree sequence was my biggest point of anger in the entire game.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »

Believe it or not, as I played through the game I probably could identify very much with Steven. I wasn't rushing, but I did feel lost every other five seconds. The difference between this game and ICO for me though, was it usually only took me a few seconds to relax my mind and discover what I needed to do, whether by letting Trico lead the way or slowly panning the camera around.

The biggest source of frustration for me was the room before the area that was total dark, where the train car is wedged under the door. It literally took me about an hour to realize that the boy could move that train car.

EDIT: The obligatory "Finish the game" checkpoint has been posted. Thanks for playing, y'all!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:04:49 PM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2017, 05:45:11 PM »

The biggest source of frustration for me was the room before the area that was total dark, where the train car is wedged under the door. It literally took me about an hour to realize that the boy could move that train car.

I'm really glad you posted that.  This was the exact spot where I left off the last time I played and gave up after a few minutes of stumbling around in the dark.

I still don't think I've reached the second checkpoint yet, but I am really enjoying the game.  For me personally, this has been one of those 'slow burn' type of games where I didn't enjoy it so much at first, but it grew on me after a while.  It seems that the more I play it, the more I like it.  It also really helps that the farther you get the more you learn Trico's nuances and better understand how to get him to do what you want.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2017, 05:09:15 PM »

So I just finished the game.  Despite any frustrations I had with it (I swear Trico was fighting me the whole way up those two towers close to the end...), I really enjoyed it overall, much more than I thought I would.  I'm really glad I chose to participate this month.  This is one I would probably never get around to otherwise.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »

So I just finished the game.  Despite any frustrations I had with it (I swear Trico was fighting me the whole way up those two towers close to the end...), I really enjoyed it overall, much more than I thought I would.  I'm really glad I chose to participate this month.  This is one I would probably never get around to otherwise.
I also finished it today, those towers were frustrating. I fell off a few times when he jumped.  But yes it was a good game.  Was it worth how long it was delayed in devolopment I'm not sure.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2017, 07:18:28 AM »

Glad both of you guys finished and enjoyed the game.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length