RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:42:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November 2017 Playthrough - Final Fantasy Adventure 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: November 2017 Playthrough - Final Fantasy Adventure  (Read 21139 times)
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »

Couldn’t find one copy at Retro World Expo or Portland. I’ll hBe to grab the one at work ha. Or check eBat real quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now your playing with power!
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »

Well great I got a your game is delivered message and nothing in the mail

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 06:35:38 AM »

@douglie007: Sorry to hear that. I hope it's resolved quickly so you can join in.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »

I jumped the gun a bit and started the game already.  I know I played this game some back when I was a kid, but I remember virtually nothing about it, so I'm going into it pretty fresh.  Some early thoughts are that I can't believe I didn't pick up on all the similarities between Final Fantasy Adventure and Secret of Mana way back when, or maybe I did and just don't remember.  The enemy sprites alone should have been a dead giveaway.

Other than that, I feel pretty confident in saying that this game was probably Square's attempt at creating a Zelda game.  It reminds me a lot of Link's Awakening, just with some Final Fantasy-esque RPG mechanics added in.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »

@douglie007: Sorry to hear that. I hope it's resolved quickly so you can join in.
It was delivered to the wrong address Two Doors Down[img width=700 height=393]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171027/16ea45dcd547f95b3752b55799d42cfe.jpg[/img]

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 05:22:30 PM »

@douglie007: Glad to hear you have the game!

I just finished South Park and should have time to start this game soon.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 09:15:50 PM »

I'm all in on this bad boy!  I remember playing this as a kid, borrowing it from my younger brother's friend, and liking it, but not getting too far because I couldn't borrow it very long.  Looking forward to this discussion!

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 07:23:33 AM »

I wired everything up over the weekend and now I'm ready to go:

[img width=700 height=933]https://i.imgur.com/CzbJba1.jpg[/img]

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 06:57:58 AM »

Nice!!!!

I'm probably 3/4 or more through the game now. Started off a little slow for me, but I've really gotten into it.  Looking forward to a great month of discussion.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 07:39:16 AM »

@singlebanana: Nice! I'm over 1/2 way through.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 08:15:14 AM »

Welcome to Day 1 of the November playthough.  As a bonus, GrayGhost81 and I have complied a few tips and tricks in the initial post that will aid you in your journey.  If any of you have an other suggestions, please let me know and I can add them.  Enjoy the game!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 09:54:01 AM »

I would throw in always try ASK from the menu when you have an ally. I was stuck in a part without any mattocks and used ask. The ally opened up a shop and sold me some.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »

I would throw in always try ASK from the menu when you have an ally. I was stuck in a part without any mattocks and used ask. The ally opened up a shop and sold me some.

Awesome advice!  I will add it

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 12:07:31 PM »

I'm just past the first checkpoint and liking the game so far.  I was having some issues with dying a lot at first, but leveling up and getting better weapons has solved that problem.  I was also really put off when I first saw the map.  It makes the game world look large, and the lack of detail on the map made me think that I would always be lost, but the game world is actually quite linear so I haven't even needed to use the map.

So has anybody been going for a particular 'build' with their character?  I've been allocating stat points pretty evenly, with maybe a bit of preference toward Power, and slightly neglecting Wisdom since I almost never run out of MP.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 01:40:10 PM »

Great points all around Disposed!  I agree that from the beginning, the game is pretty linear; however, toward the middle of the game, the world opens up a bit.  The map isn't very helpful at all when this happens, but you get some nice hints from NPCs, which you should always talk to, since there are so few in this game.

In terms of "build," I'm not sure that there is much of a strategy toward making your character better.  I started off distributing points out evenly, but I noticed that with every level you get a stat increase in everything anyway (so think of the points you put in as a supplement).  After level 10 or so, I started putting points into Power and Wisdom (basically damage increase & magic points).  The other two, Stamina (additional HP) and Will (quickens weapon power bar) seemed a bit useless to drop points in, since they go up a little every level anyway. I did find that on the end boss, I had to heal quite a bit, so it is probably not a bad idea to put some of your points into Wisdom. Wisdom is good in the beginning and middle of the game, because you don't get many mana replenishing items around that time and there are many mobs that are only affected by magic. However, by the end, 80% of my points went into Power.  

Just to bring up another point, I noticed that when equipping armor my DEF went up, but when I equipped a shield, my DEF points stayed the same.  It made me wonder why I was upgrading my shield, so I decided to look into it.  Turns out that the difference is shields is not DEF, but actually in what projectiles they block.  The better the shield, the more it blocks. Huh!  I thought this was a pretty neat concept that I had never seen in a game before (or perhaps missed it).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:41:53 PM by singlebanana » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length