RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:18:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | June 2018 Shmup Club - R-Type 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: June 2018 Shmup Club - R-Type  (Read 22448 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: May 08, 2018, 05:06:53 PM »

Get ready to blast off and attack the evil Bydo empire!

Hello shmup fans, and welcome to the RF Generation Shmup Club! This inaugural month of June 2018, we'll be playing through a major classic, and one of the seminal games that helped to define the genre in the modern era. That game is R-Type, developed by Irem, and release in arcades in 1987. The game saw a release across many platforms in the years that followed. It arrived on the Sega Master System (Mark III) and TurboGrafx (PC Engine), the PC Engine CD in Japan, and even Nintendo's Game Boy, as well as a number of microcomputers, ranging from the ZX Spectrum to the Amiga. It was ported later to the Playstation, in the form of R-Types, which compiled the first 2 games in the series into a single package. In 2009, it was released on the PS3 and Xbox 360 again via R-Type Dimensions, which, like R-Types, compiled the first two games, but also reformatted them for widescreen, and added new graphics and a redone soundtrack. However, this version allows you to, on the fly, switch between original graphics and sound, and the newly "remastered" versions.  R-Type was popular enough to warrant not one, but actually five sequels, as well as two spin-off strategy games, and R-Type DX on the Game Boy Color, which mashed up levels from the first two games in a unique package.

R-Type Dimensions is purty!

For this first month, let's keep it casual. The original R-Type is a difficult game, and is well known as being a "memorizer" - each level has a particular path to follow for success, so part of the challenge is learning that path, and in what order to take on the incoming enemies and obstacles. Feel free to share strategies, talk paths, share YouTube videos of play throughs or speed runs, etc. Also, let's compare scores! Tell everyone which version or port you're playing, and show off your high scores with pics or photos. If anyone manages to 1CC (1 credit clear) the game, feel free to show off, so we can all congratulate you on your victory!

A WORD ON THE GAME BOY PORT: The game defaults to the "HARD" difficulty. If you want to switch it to "EASY" difficulty, you'll need to hit the Select button at the title screen, where you can choose between the two settings. There is no "NORMAL" or "MEDIUM" difficulty setting. Also, there's no high score table in the Game Boy version, so the only way to capture your final score is to look at it on the screen as you die, before the screen changes to the "Game Over" message. Don't worry about grabbing a screenshot of your score, if you can't do so. Instead, just post what your score was when you died. This means we're all on the honor system, me included!

SPECIAL NOTE FOR R-TYPE DIMENSIONS: For those who may have difficulty with some levels, or aren't concerned with score as much, R-Type Dimensions has "Infinity Mode" which gives you unlimited lives, but I believe the concession is that all checkpoints are eliminated, and you have to clear a stage in a single life to progress. However, in the standard "3 Lives" mode, the regular checkpoints return, but as you complete levels and progress to the next, you unlock the ability to jump right to a stage, so it gives you the ability to practice a stage specifically. This is a great way to lean the levels and gain some mastery of each, so that you can eventually string together a full play through, and possibly work toward the elusive 1CC, as well as maximize your score!

6-7-18 QUICK UPDATE: I totally forgot to include R-Type DX on the Game Boy Color! DX has the original GB version packed in, as well as a colorized version that works on the new hardware, so that is also an acceptable port to play and discuss/score/etc. Sorry for the obvious exclusion!

PARTICIPANTS:
MetalFRO
singlebanana
Pam
Duke.Togo
Addicted
slackur
Voodoo Monkey
Despatche
NefariousWes
Douglie007
davyK
mightyqdawg
Zagnorch
Square_Air
D-rock

HIGH SCORES PER PLATFORM!
Game Boy:
Sega Master System: 367,200 by Square_Air
TurboGrafx/PCE: 608,500 by Square_Air
PlayStation: 246,200 by Addicted
PS3/360: 284,400 by MetalFRO
Game Boy Color:
Arcade/MAME: 1,088,300 by Square_Air
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:09:37 PM by MetalFRO » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 05:09:13 PM »

Bitchin'. Sign me up!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »

I'm in!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »

My trigger finger is ready, just need to decide on a platform. I may end up giving several a go.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »

My trigger finger is ready, just need to decide on a platform. I may end up giving several a go.

That's what I'm going to do. Definitely going to dive into the Game Boy version, and I've had R-Types for years, and pulled it out recently to fire up. Plus I bought Dimensions on PS3 the other day, in anticipation of this, and it's pretty sweet. I'm giving serious consideration to grabbing either the SMS or Turbo versions, for comparison, but I'm not sure I want to drop the cash.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 09:11:28 AM »

Great choice, and if I can nab a little time this month, I'll jump in. Smiley

Keelah se'lai
Voodoo Monkey
Donor

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »

Sign me up too!  Never played any of the R-Type games.  I didn't realize the series was inspired by Giger art.  Very cool.

Hungry for the Chievos!
Despatche
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 11:48:25 PM »

I'll play, probably arcade, Game Boy, PC Engine, and maybe Mark III. Might give me an excuse to finally beat the first loop in the arcade version. I also need to do more testing with R-Types.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:30:07 AM by Despatche » Logged
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 08:35:32 AM »

Welcome aboard, everyone! And welcome to RF Generation, Despatche! Good to see someone from the Shmups forum coming over for the play through.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »

What a coinkydink; I just completed the Bravo Sector on Rookie mode on Raptor: Call of the Shadows... that I downloaded from Steam a few days back. That's right, ya whippersnappers, I finally climbed aboard the Steam train! Hey, better late than never, right?

ANYhoo: I do own a copy of R-Type DX for game Boy Color... I'm afraid I lack a regular R-Type for any of the platforms listed in the initial post... I think. Is the PS3/360 version part of a compilation release? Or are they downloads from their respective online stores?

UPDATE: I just bought a Japan-region Game Boy cart off of eBay... I hope you're proud of yourself.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:34:17 PM by Zagnorch » Logged
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 04:54:38 PM »

I'm incredibly proud of myself  Grin

davyK
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 03:18:55 PM »

Have the RTypes disc for PS1 so hope to get some time to get stuck into that.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 03:47:41 PM »

Have the RTypes disc for PS1 so hope to get some time to get stuck into that.

Excellent! Does this mean you're on board for June?

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 09:52:53 PM »

Guess I'm busting out the master system, I'm in... I think this has fm sound, so my mod will get some love.  I suck at shumps so 250 cc for me

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 10:14:42 PM »

Yes, I do believe that the SMS port of R-Type has FM sound. Thanks for jumping in!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length