RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:40:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July 2018 Shmup - Gradius 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: July 2018 Shmup - Gradius  (Read 20937 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:12:05 PM »

The galaxy has been taken over by the Bacterian Empire, and you, a lone star pilot, must take them down using a formidable new craft known as the Vic Viper. With each new area you liberate from Bacterian forces, you also face a larger threat, each with a core defense system that forces you to target their weak points. Along the way, you'll face mechanized enemy forces, strange Moai creatures that can shoot laser rings at you, and enemies that seem to appear from nowhere, all of whom are bent on your destruction. Power up your ship quickly, with bombs, lasers, and optional companions that increase your firepower, lest you fall in battle and allow the Bacterian forces to rule the galaxy. Jump into the cockpit of the Vic Viper, and save the galaxy!

Gradius is an arcade shoot-em-up, released in Japan by Konami in 1985, which came to the West as Nemesis. It was originally developed as a follow-up to the earlier Konami scrolling shooter hit Scramble, but quickly outgrew that inspiration to become its own unique title, spawning a long-running series of successful, and well-loved games. It's unique power-up system became a major attraction for the game, and subsequent titles in the series expanded upon that formula in a number of unique and interesting ways, all while keeping the core functionality that was so ground-breaking upon its release. Gradius also introduced the "core" mechanic, whereby the enemy bosses had a specific weak point, or core, that you had to destroy, in order to take them down. Each of these cores were usually protected by a series of shields, so you had to work to remove those barriers before you could actually damage the bosses. The colorful, detailed graphics, memorable soundtrack, and interesting game play mechanics all combined to make a great game that still inspires today, as seen by the recent release of Super Hydorah, a game that borrows heavily from the formula this game established.  Gradius received a port on the NES, as well as several microcomputer platforms, the PC Engine in Japan, and the Sega Saturn in Japan as well. The US didn't see another release of the original game until the Gradius Collection on PSP, which is a direct arcade port. More recently, the game has been made available on the PS4 under the Arcade Archives line, with the ability to play the JPN, US, and EU specific iterations of the game. Join us in July for the RF Generation Shmup Club's second game, Gradius! Pick your version, and let's get blasting!

Versions:
NES/Famicom
PSP via Gradius Collection
PS4 via Arcade Archives
Sega Saturn & Sony PlayStation via Gradius Deluxe Pack (Japan only!)
PC Engine (Japan only!)
Various Microcomputers

The Gradius Deluxe Pack was also released for Windows in 1997, so presumably, it works with Windows 95 and 98.

Participants:
MetalFRO
douglie007
Pam
Addicted
Kollision
EZ Racer
Golem
zophar53
Nefarious Wes
singlebanana

HIGH SCORES
NES/Famicom: 1,121,600 (Golem)
PSP: 412,400 (MetalFRO)
PS4:
Saturn/PSX: 388,100 (MetalFRO)
PC Engine/TurboGrafx:
PC Engine CD:
Arcade: 427,300 (Golem)

Original game teaser:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 01:13:03 PM by MetalFRO » Logged

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 02:28:59 AM »

Vic Viper

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »

Vic Viper

Indeed! Any guesses as to which game we might be playing? Wink

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 05:37:46 PM »

I'll take any in that series.

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »

Otomedius Excellent?! Cheesy

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 08:31:34 AM »

Otomedius Excellent?! Cheesy

Sorry, not this time. I would have used, erm, *other* hints if it were that particular off-shoot of the series.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 08:33:10 PM »

I'll sign up

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »

Woohoo! Any thoughts on which version(s) you might want to play?

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 01:54:44 AM »

I have a famicom, nes and psp. I think I'll go for nes.

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »

I will play this! Most likely the NES version, though I might give the PC Engine version a shot (on the RetroPi).
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »

I ran a test playthrough last night to make sure everything was working correctly.

All set!

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »

Very cool! Thank you for the participation heads-up, everyone!

Kollision
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »

I think I might join to play late at night on my PSP Smiley

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 08:35:12 AM »

Welcome aboard, Kollision!

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 11:35:04 PM »

Is it too late to get in on the Gradius action (I'd be playing on the NES)? I'm pretty new to RF Generation, but a certain friend of mine suggested it to me...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length