RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:20:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November 2018 Shmup Club - Steel Empire 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: November 2018 Shmup Club - Steel Empire  (Read 26584 times)
lordb0rb4
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 03:21:32 AM »

Square, congratulations my friend, amazing score!
It will be nice to see if the score is even between all version, did you remember if you have a no miss bonus at the end?
I ask because my version showed this at the end:
[img width=640 height=349]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4852/44952773904_67a98700e8_z.jpg[/img]
Square_Air
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 05:50:30 AM »

After taking a closer look at the steam version, I am now 100% positive that the scores are not comparable. Take a look for yourselves.

As you can see, stage scoring & overall scoring is much higher in the original version, whereas the steam version has less stage scoring & overall scoring, but has a large no continue bonus at the end that isn't in the original. In terms of survival, the Steam version seems to be a mostly faithful (~80%) remake with a few big noticeable changes. Some of the bosses like the first boss seem to have been redesigned.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 05:56:19 AM by Square_Air » Logged
lordb0rb4
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 07:04:52 AM »

At least i was not utterly destroyed by your score XD
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 08:50:10 AM »

Welcome aboard once again, Square_Air! Impressive that you guys have already 1CC'd the game, but for those who have spent more time focusing on the genre than I have in recent years, all I can do is marvel at your skill and keep practicing!

I was playing last night with the plane, through to Stage 4, and at least made the score board in the 4th position, on the Genesis version:
[img width=700 height=525]https://i.imgur.com/ZXWsTmY.jpg[/img]

I was hoping to get to the point where I can do a full 1CC run with the plane on all stages, and the dirigible on all stages, so it's interesting to see layout of which craft is best for which stage. I might try that, and see if it will help me get a 1CC more quickly, which should also help me learn the later stages faster, and then go back and see if I can accomplish it with a single craft through the whole game. I found the plane easy enough to use at least through the first 3 stages, so I don't think it's out of the question. To your point about the lack of challenge, Square_Air, save for a no-miss, a 1CC with a single vehicle might be another way to challenge yourself, especially doing a 1CC run with the dirigible. I imagine the Stage 2 speed trap section would be very challenging with that thing.

I am not surprised that the scoring has been tweaked for subsequent releases. I plan on checking out the Steam release this month as well, to compare. I know the game came out in Europe on the Game Boy Advance, and then later on the 3DS, but I have to believe those versions have made concessions for the small bullets and projectiles that get thrown at you, because some of that stuff is hard enough to see on the Genesis original, but if those things haven't been made easier to see on the tiny handheld screens, that would make the game that much more challenging, and downright unfair. I'll be curious to hear from anyone playing either version, as to what they find. I'm on the fence yet, but have thought about grabbing the 3DS version to mess around with on my 2DS. I may yet be convinced, depending on how well I do as the month progresses...

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 10:45:58 PM »

I played my first official run of the game today. I played it on normal and choose the plane for every stage and this is what I got. I recorded my run but I will just put my score here so far. I will try the next difficulty to see how far I can get. must say, i'm loving this game so far.

* first run high score.jpg (2371.34 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 423 times.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:47:37 PM by Normatron » Logged
lordb0rb4
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2018, 03:52:00 AM »

Nice score Normatron, the game is indeed amazing, no-hit run i presume?
Golem
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 03:46:56 PM »

Damn, everyone got to work on this quick!

I remember this game being mind-numbingly boring, so I was all ready to post and complain. But now that I've tried it again, I can't clear stage 2. :b So, I'm excited to get back into it. I'm also surprised to hear advice to switch crafts--I always figured you would want to stockpile experience all on one vehicle.

Here's my 3DS score, which I'll be trying to reach and pass on Steam: https://imgur.com/nicPMRA
(Can't have been that easy if I took 70 damage...)

Hey--how come lots of projectiles are destructible in the remake are indestructible on Genesis?

lordb0rb4 - Sent you a Steam invite as "golemio".
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:51:33 PM by Golem » Logged

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »

never thought of a no hit run but on Normal I beleave it is possible. I finished the game I guess with beating the true final boss. found out if you do continue and beat the game that you miss out on a big part of the final boss.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »

Glad to have you back again this month, Golem! I don't suspect you'll have a lot of trouble with the game, but good luck nonetheless!

Using the strategy outlined by Square_Air, as to which craft to pick for which stage, I have made much progress, and have now reached 6-B, and achieved a much better score this time around!
[img width=700 height=525]https://i.imgur.com/OUfs9QE.jpg[/img]

3,810,800 points is much better than last time, and that's after playing for around half of this afternoon. 6-B has some challenging bits, and a couple spots that are hard to avoid taking damage, so that will take a bit of practice to get through, and I credit fed earlier, to see Stage 7, which also has some trickiness, but overall shouldn't be too difficult to overcome with a bit of work. Hopefully, I can get the 1CC before the end of next week, and can then attempt to do either a full plane run, or a full dirigible run. I also grabbed the Steam version, so I can compare with what the rest of you guys are doing on that.

lordb0rb4 - I sent you a friend request on Steam. If anyone else wants to friend me on there, I'm metalfro777.

Golem
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 05:16:43 PM »

Congrats, FRO, sounds like you are on track!

I popped on the Steam version and accidentally cleared it? The last stage is Sisyphean, with a final boss long enough to make Metal Slug 3 blush.

The Genesis version was giving me way more trouble. Above, Square said that Genesis and PC scoring weren't comparable. I understood that on some level, but it didn't hit me how different the two were. Check out the stage 2 midboss:
Genesis: https://www.youtube.com/w...eature=youtu.be&t=100
PC: https://www.youtube.com/w...eature=youtu.be&t=565
Seriously, look at how much faster the projectiles are on Genesis.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:18:20 PM by Golem » Logged

Square_Air
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2018, 06:11:00 PM »

The Genesis version was giving me way more trouble. Above, Square said that Genesis and PC scoring weren't comparable. I understood that on some level, but it didn't hit me how different the two were. Check out the stage 2 midboss:
Genesis: https://www.youtube.com/w...eature=youtu.be&t=100
PC: https://www.youtube.com/w...eature=youtu.be&t=565
Seriously, look at how much faster the projectiles are on Genesis.

There's definitely a few big changes made between versions. It seems to mainly just be with bosses and mid-bosses as far as I can tell.

Using the strategy outlined by Square_Air, as to which craft to pick for which stage, I have made much progress, and have now reached 6-B, and achieved a much better score this time around!
[img width=700 height=525]https://i.imgur.com/OUfs9QE.jpg[/img]

3,810,800 points is much better than last time, and that's after playing for around half of this afternoon. 6-B has some challenging bits, and a couple spots that are hard to avoid taking damage, so that will take a bit of practice to get through, and I credit fed earlier, to see Stage 7, which also has some trickiness, but overall shouldn't be too difficult to overcome with a bit of work. Hopefully, I can get the 1CC before the end of next week, and can then attempt to do either a full plane run, or a full dirigible run.

Well done on that progress, MetalFRO! Nice to get more Genesis scores going. I must unfortunately let you know that I believe your score is actually 3,210,800, though I don't blame you for thinking otherwise, as the 2 & 8 digits are very difficult to discern from one another. I was prompted to take a closer look after I realized that 3.8 million by 6-B would be world record pace, and probably even a no-damage run up to that point.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I didn't want you to be confused about better runs potentially turning out oddly lesser scores. Still though, you're not too far off from the clear, so best of luck on the climb. Grin
lordb0rb4
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »

Metal and Golem added...
Man, Steel Empire on Genesis is A L-O-T harder than it's remake, it's going to take some real training to get close to those scores.

Edit:
Just to be clear, are you Genesis players using only 1 credit?  Shocked Huh

Edit2:
NVM, score resets if a continue is used.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:40:34 PM by lordb0rb4 » Logged
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 09:49:59 PM »

Finally got to try it out today after getting the Genesis back out. Getting stuck on the second half of Stage 2, but love the aesthetics of this title so far.
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2018, 11:46:06 PM »

That was one crazy run! if I knew it was going to turn out this way I would have recorded it! this is where im sitting at scorewise.

also its crazy how the all clear and no continue bonuses add to your score.

* Hard lvl score.jpg (2990.04 KB, 3995x2607 - viewed 392 times.)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »

I haven’t tried it yet, because I’m focused on the Genesis version right now, but is there an end-level No Death bonus in the Steam version?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length