RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2018, 08:27:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | NEW: Genesis/SMS FPGA-console by ANALOGUE up for pre-order! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NEW: Genesis/SMS FPGA-console by ANALOGUE up for pre-order!  (Read 175 times)
lendelin
N-Gage

Stats
« on: October 16, 2018, 02:56:26 PM »

I got an email from Analogue that their new 'Mega SG' console for the Genesis is up for pre-order. Price: $190, included is an adapter for the Sega Master System (which makes it even more attractive). Not included is the 8-bit Do wireless controller which has to be purchased from Amazon for $25. Shipping costs are $38 (!), which I find very steep and exaggerated! Available colors: black and white. Release date: April 2019.

Well designed FPGA machines are great. I have for the NES games the Retro USB, and for the Super NES games from Analogue the Super NT. I am very satisfied with both consoles, there is zero input lag, no problems playing the games on an HDTV in 1080p (in the case of the Retro USB 720p). A great way to play these games as complimentary systems to the original hardware connected to a CRT.

Great times for Genesis owners. After decades of playing my Genesis games with composite video, we got last year the HD-Retrovision component cables which make the games look fantastic on a CRT! And now we finally get a FPGA-console from Analogue which has a first-rate track record for their products.

Details at https://www.analogue.co/store
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:01:51 PM by lendelin » Logged
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »

I'm very excited for this! I still need to pool my money together to snag a Retro AVS and Super NT, but as far as I'm concerned, I need this Mega SG in my life:

The one thing that hasn't been specifically stated in any of the articles I've read, is whether or not the unit will support FM sound for SMS games. According to this page:

http://atariage.com/forum...-videogame-system/page-45

Kevtris says that his SMS FPGA core supports FM sound, so one assumes that will be included in the Mega SG. That, and the additional cartridge port options for card games & Game Gear make this an absolute must-own for me. As much as I enjoy original hardware, a device like this, especially with CD compatibility, will make streaming and recording footage for these games so much easier and cleaner.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:36:16 PM »

Now this I am interested in.  I am perfectly fine with my NES and SNES outputted via component (albeit, onto a 550 line PVM), but the Genesis/Mega Drive is very interesting, mainly because you have to try so hard to get a good signal from the darn thing.  Ii really hope they get review copies out to "My Life In Gaming" and some of the other hardware people on YouTube (I am really curious to find out how it holds up).  I've recently started playing Genesis games again and am surprised (again) at just how amazing sound and music can sound from that console, especially in light of some of the haters out there (and there are so many in the gaming press).

Anyway, this is very nice.  Kind of puts a damper on the upcoming Genesis "mini," but to be fair Atgames has kind of been earning that treatment for serving up over a decade of questionable hardware.  I am still curious, but only because I am a curious fellow.
 I want to play my favorite carts on the big screen (especially Road Rash, Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Todd's Slime World, Buck Rogers, and Starflight) but I want that amazing original sound to go with it, not compromised metallic or off-key sound.

"In France, I'm an auteur; in Germany, a filmmaker; in Britain; a genre film director; and, in the USA, a bum."

- John Carpenter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length