RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:21:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | NEW: Genesis/SMS FPGA-console by ANALOGUE up for pre-order! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NEW: Genesis/SMS FPGA-console by ANALOGUE up for pre-order!  (Read 5671 times)
lendelin
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: October 16, 2018, 02:56:26 PM »

I got an email from Analogue that their new 'Mega SG' console for the Genesis is up for pre-order. Price: $190, included is an adapter for the Sega Master System (which makes it even more attractive). Not included is the 8-bit Do wireless controller which has to be purchased from Amazon for $25. Shipping costs are $38 (!), which I find very steep and exaggerated! Available colors: black and white. Release date: April 2019.

Well designed FPGA machines are great. I have for the NES games the Retro USB, and for the Super NES games from Analogue the Super NT. I am very satisfied with both consoles, there is zero input lag, no problems playing the games on an HDTV in 1080p (in the case of the Retro USB 720p). A great way to play these games as complimentary systems to the original hardware connected to a CRT.

Great times for Genesis owners. After decades of playing my Genesis games with composite video, we got last year the HD-Retrovision component cables which make the games look fantastic on a CRT! And now we finally get a FPGA-console from Analogue which has a first-rate track record for their products.

Details at https://www.analogue.co/store
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:01:51 PM by lendelin » Logged
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »

I'm very excited for this! I still need to pool my money together to snag a Retro AVS and Super NT, but as far as I'm concerned, I need this Mega SG in my life:

The one thing that hasn't been specifically stated in any of the articles I've read, is whether or not the unit will support FM sound for SMS games. According to this page:

http://atariage.com/forum...-videogame-system/page-45

Kevtris says that his SMS FPGA core supports FM sound, so one assumes that will be included in the Mega SG. That, and the additional cartridge port options for card games & Game Gear make this an absolute must-own for me. As much as I enjoy original hardware, a device like this, especially with CD compatibility, will make streaming and recording footage for these games so much easier and cleaner.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:36:16 PM »

Now this I am interested in.  I am perfectly fine with my NES and SNES outputted via component (albeit, onto a 550 line PVM), but the Genesis/Mega Drive is very interesting, mainly because you have to try so hard to get a good signal from the darn thing.  Ii really hope they get review copies out to "My Life In Gaming" and some of the other hardware people on YouTube (I am really curious to find out how it holds up).  I've recently started playing Genesis games again and am surprised (again) at just how amazing sound and music can sound from that console, especially in light of some of the haters out there (and there are so many in the gaming press).

Anyway, this is very nice.  Kind of puts a damper on the upcoming Genesis "mini," but to be fair Atgames has kind of been earning that treatment for serving up over a decade of questionable hardware.  I am still curious, but only because I am a curious fellow.
 I want to play my favorite carts on the big screen (especially Road Rash, Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Todd's Slime World, Buck Rogers, and Starflight) but I want that amazing original sound to go with it, not compromised metallic or off-key sound.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
lendelin
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 03:58:20 PM »

Good news for the 'Mega SG.' Digitally included with the console comes the unreleased 'Hardcore' game for the Genesis/Mega Drive. The game is renamed Ultracore. (copyright reasons?)

The first time I heard of Hardcore last year when Strictly Limited Games announced that they will release a physical copy of the game which was at the last minute cancelled by Psygnosis in 1994. Developed by Dice it was to 99% finished. Original staff members of Dice are finishing the game and then will port it so it can run on modern platforms.

Great for game preservation and great for us guys who will buy the Mega SG athough I'll buy the physical version as well if and when Strictly Limited will release the game.
lendelin
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 10:49:36 PM »

I got mine today. I contacted Analogue because on the unit wasn't Ulracore installed. Otherwise, it is fantastic! Like the Super NT, the games look great, play great without input lag, and the options give you enough to fiddle around and optimize various aspects to your liking.

I played Castlevania Bloodlines, Lightening Force and Crusader of Centy, and damn look the games great. It is a wonderful addition to my original Genesis on a CRT with component cables.

If you're still undecided about FPGA-systems, the Retro AVS (from RetroUSB), Super NT and the Mega SG are just great. Personally, I like the 8bit Retro AVS for my NES games the most because the less pixelrich 8bit games are ideal in HD and look wonderful. Sometimes the 16bit games are too pixelated for my taste even though I use specifically for these 3 systems a 32" HDTV. (also for the Dreamcast,, the Retron 5, the NES- and SuperNES-mini, and the first model PS3 because I always check how the PS2 games look on the PS3 on a smaller screen) Since I have the Retro AVS I never used my original NES.

Analogue and RetroUSB really deliver high quality systems. I never regret that I got these systems.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 02:33:39 PM »

It's called Ultracore, because "Project Hardcore" the working title of the original game, but was renamed recently.

lendelin
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 10:21:12 PM »

It's called Ultracore, because "Project Hardcore" the working title of the original game, but was renamed recently.

Yep, and I hope Strictly Limited will release the game on physical disc.

Analogue answered to my problem very fast, I just needed the most recent firmware update as I suspected. In this update is the newest version of entire Ultracore game, and now the full set of options shows up which didn't before.

I bet you are streaming Crimzon Clover, I'll hit you up. I liked in particular your BoW streams, really great streams.
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 11:14:14 AM »

Yep, and I hope Strictly Limited will release the game on physical disc.

Analogue answered to my problem very fast, I just needed the most recent firmware update as I suspected. In this update is the newest version of entire Ultracore game, and now the full set of options shows up which didn't before.

I bet you are streaming Crimzon Clover, I'll hit you up. I liked in particular your BoW streams, really great streams.

It would be nice to see a physical release of Ultracore. Strictly Limited Games is handling it on Vita and PS4, so one assumes that means a physical release of some type.
https://ultracore.strictlylimitedgames.com/

Also, thanks for the kind words! I finished BotW on stream, and as you saw last night, have been streaming Crimzon Clover quite a bit. Hoping to explore the other modes this weekend, to get a feel for them, before moving on to Einhander in April Cheesy

Buttneck
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 10:32:12 PM »

I have 3 SNES systems lying around, as well as the official "mini."

I also bought the Analogue Super NT. If you love playing Super NES carts it's worth it just for the convenience alone. It really is a no muss no fuss way of playing on a modern (HDMI) television with great image quality and options. I really can't recommend it enough. The money is deciding factor in this one.

That said....

OF COURSE I will buy the Mega SG. Based on the reviews I have seen and my own experience with the Super NT, it's a no brainer. I don't even have that many Genesis or Master System games, but I predict I will in the near future. Again, money should be the only thing holding you back. I didn't buy controllers for either system, so it was "only" $189 for each system, plus shipping of course. I wanted the wireless controllers, but I have plenty of official wired ones and they work fine.

1st post btw. Hello everyone.
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 11:59:46 PM »

Welcome to the site! I haven't put down the cash for this yet, despite wanting one, because I have other expenses right now, but assuming availability in a few months when other obligations are met, I may still jump on this bandwagon.

lendelin
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 08:39:33 PM »

Strictly Limited Games from Germany announced today that they will relase indeed Ultracore (Hardcore) this Saturday. The game will be on the PS4 and Switch. It will be an open pre-order from April 28th (American time April 27th) to June 30th.

They also offer limited Collector's Editions. Like the Limited Run Games-nonsense they will be available in two batches. Because of the time difference between Germany and the US, that means that these games are available on Saturday, April 27th at 5pm (Central Time in the US) and Sunday, April 28th at 11am Central Time in the US.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:44:35 PM by lendelin » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length