RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:26:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Episode #55 - RF Generation Playcast (Monster Party) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Episode #55 - RF Generation Playcast (Monster Party)  (Read 4608 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: November 07, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »

COMING MANANA!  freakboy

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 04:02:59 PM »

Yay! Looking forward to this episode, to hear what you guys have to say about the game.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 08:16:37 PM »

What will be longer - the podcast or the time to beat the game? Wink

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:48:43 PM »

What will be longer - the podcast or the time to beat the game? Wink

I think you know the answer to that. 😬

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »

Its LIVE!

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »

Great episode guys, probably one of my favorites to listen to despite not being so hot on the game itself. I though the discussion was very fair and 100% agree with your final thoughts that it's not a game to grab right away if you're new the library, but could be worth checking out if you want to do a deeper dive into the library as it does some fairly interesting stuff even if it doesn't execute a lot of it as well as I'd have liked. Very compelling case you built for Monster Party as being a neat oddity for the NES.

Boneyard is my favorite channel on XM as well Rich. Really pumped to hear you're into Angel Witch (I'll give it a pass that you called them Witch Angel Wink ) and Diamond Head. Most people wouldn't know Diamond Head if it wasn't for Metallica covering a few of their best songs. I much prefer the originals to the covers myself. That New Wave of British Heavy Metal is one of my absolutely favorite styles of music. If you want to some more band or song recommendations from that era shoot me a message and I'd be happy to try and turn you on to a few more forgotten bands from the early 80s British Metal scene .

Because I'm not on social media with you guys I always miss out on the listener questions so I'll just throw mine up here. The first movies that scared the heck out of me were E.T. and Jaws, but I wouldn't consider either a horror movie. The first horror movie I remember seeing was Bordello of Blood though. A friend of mine got a hold of a copy somehow when we were like 13 or 14 and we watched it in his basement. I knew early on that horror movies weren't my thing after that. Years later I watched Event Horizon thinking it would be a cool sci-fi movie and remember waking up with nightmares for weeks afterwards. I've basically avoided the genre since those 2 movies although I've had a few friends drag me to a couple and my wife and I rented one once as well. I am really oblivious to the genre for the most part although hearing about some of them they sound really cool and since it's probably been about a decade since I last tried to enjoy one maybe I'm due for another attempt. I do like really gothic and dark and sinister themes and visuals to my entertainment so I know there has got to be a handful of horror movies that I could really get into I've yet to find them though.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:44:58 AM »

Thanks for listening to the show and also for the awesome feedback Crabby! I think that Shawn and I try to be as fair as possible when it comes to reviewing these games.  If we don't really care for a game, we seem to always find some thing(s) that the game actually does well, and vice-versa, if it's a game that we have a great deal of nostalgia for, we typically admit that up front and try to weigh it out fairly.

I've never seen Bordello of Blood, but I will say that I saw E.T. in the theater and the opening scared the hell out of me as a kid.  I'm pretty sure I also saw Jaws before the films I mentioned too, but for some reason, Jaws has never felt like a horror film to me, though it obviously is.  I think that it has somehow traversed that boundary and has somehow become a day-to-day part of mainstream culture. A lot of people dislike horror, but nearly everyone has seen Jaws.

For me, horror is a genre that I very much disliked and avoided as a kid.  I really didn't pick back up on it until college. The sad thing is that it is a genre that is almost exclusively blackballed by film critics and societies, and that is a real shame (yep, still no Oscar category for horror, it's still treated like heavy metal used to be).  If you think about it, the purpose of a movie is to draw out emotions in the viewer. Some films make us very happy, some draw on our love to make us evaluate and sometimes shape our relationships (dramas/rom coms), some make us sad and ask us to take action to solve world problems (documentaries), and of course horror draws on our fear.  I think that it wasn't until I got into college that I realized how much talent it took for someone to draw out that emotion.  As much as horror directors are often depicted as uninventive and talentless, I think it takes quite a lot of skill to do what many of them do, and as a slighted genre, they wear multiple hats to keep everything under a small budget. Sure, there are tons of bad horror films out there as in any genre, but the films that are done well can stand alongside award winners. I think that horror is turning the page and becoming more of a genre that offers up some rather eye-opening social critiques.  If you have not seen "Get Out" yet, I highly recommend it; it's not gorey in the slasher sense, but a nice thrill ride that will make you think about its message for days.  The wife and I also enjoyed "It Follows" quite a bit.

And yes, I will take some of those British metal recommendations. Smiley    
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:58:53 AM by singlebanana » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length