RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:38:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465472 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 12:11:51 AM »

Can't wait for this. This might give me a reason to go out and add these to my collection just so I can tackle the
challenges.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's a good a reason as any!! Glad so many of you are eager to get going. Gonna be a great January!

Screw you guys.  I can't wait.  I'm starting now. laugh

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 12:58:51 AM »

So it's officially the 26th right? I want to stake my claim on Final Fantasy. I've beaten the PS1 remake a long time ago but never played the NES original.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 01:33:24 AM »

Yeah what he said. TMNT2 for me

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 01:37:46 AM »

Start your claims!! Looks like we've got a couple already Smiley

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 05:10:18 AM »

I want to claim Vice: Project Doom.  I've played it for many, many hours over the decades.  Time to beat it.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 07:13:21 AM »

I'll take SNK Baseball Stars to kick it off.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 08:41:15 AM »

Doh!  Missed out on Final Fantasy.  Well, I think I will take on 1942.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 09:28:26 AM »

Updated the claim list. In addition to the ones you guys called I'm gonna take Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord for myself. Been wanting to give it a go for quite a while. One of those foundational games that I've always missed out on and been curious about.

I also added a community and single player target goal for us to achieve. I set a lofty goal of 100 games beaten by January 31st as our community goal. That may sound high, but I think it's doable. With the whole library available to us we have tons of quick easy completions open as well as games that people are familiar with and have beaten previously. If we can hit this number in one month while everybody is eager to play it'll take some stress of later in the year as well when things inevitably slow down as the games get less familiar and more challenging or lengthy.

I gave you all a single player goal of finishing one game that you've never played before as well. Hoping you guys will branch outside of your comfort zones and try some new stuff. Maybe something you've always heard about and want to see how good/bad it really is, an important game that you've always meant to try but for some reason never have, an early game in a series that you enjoy but haven't explored the roots of or just something obscure you don't think a lot of other players will have interest in trying.

I'm also curious if any of you guys have any personal goals for yourselves this year. I'm going to push myself to complete at least 135 NES games this year that are new to me. I've currently completed 365 so if I can hit that number I'll have finished a whopping 500 NES games which would be quite a personal accomplishment. There are a few specific titles I'd like to hit, but I'm not going to push too hard to get most of them. I'd rather you guys pick the games you want and I'll try and pick off titles around the fringes that I suspect will be neglected.

Anyone else have a goal for themselves for 2019?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 01:32:42 PM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 09:34:28 AM »

I'd like to claim Dragon Warrior IV.

Personal note, the Dragon Warriors for the NES are one of the main reasons I got into video game collecting. I'd see ads for them, but I'd never see them available. By the time I actually got my hands on DW4, it got stuck in a backlog, so it will be nice to put time into it.

So it will also fit the single player goal-
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »

My personal goal aligned with the single player goal you set, Crabby.  I want to play games I've never played before.  My NES collection is pretty big, leaving dozens, if hundreds I've never touched before.  I want to change that.

That said, Vice: Project Doom is an old shame of mine.  I've had it since I was a kid, played it so much, but never beat it.  (Well, never beat it legit.  I'm sure I Game Genie'd my way through once or twice.)  I wanted to rectify that off the bat.

Aside from that, I guess I would like to beat at least one game a month.  I'm usually a dabbler with games, especially NES games, and never see them through.  I want to change that, too.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »

I would like to claim Tombs & Treasure. I dont know much about the game other than its like Shadowgate. Just want to go for something I never would think of playing to start out.

Maybe my personal goal will be to beat as many games on here that I don't already own. I never know what to decide on to  pick up when I start thinking of buying NES games so this will help me out a ton.

BTW, I didn't see a victory condition for Tombs and Treasures so I assume I just need to beat it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »

I set a lofty goal of 100 games beaten by January 1st as our community goal.

Is that a typo, or do we only have one day to finish 100 games?  Tongue

As far as goals, I don't really have anything definite. When this thing was first announced, I figured I would just play all my old favorites like the Castlevanias, Zeldas, Marios, TMNTs, etc., but I've played all of those plenty of times before and will likely play them all again. Instead, I'm going to try to branch out and mostly play games that I haven't played before and hopefully discover some new gems in the process. Vice: Project Doom is a good example. I played a few levels of that the other day, and it seems like a really great game. I know it's been claimed already, but I'll probably play through it on my own anyway.

Other than a handful of games I have in mind, I'll just plug the available games list into a randomizer and see what I get.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »

I set a lofty goal of 100 games beaten by January 1st as our community goal.

Is that a typo, or do we only have one day to finish 100 games?  Tongue

Typo.  Crabby has the correct date, January 31, in the NES5 post about goals.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 01:46:30 PM »

@EZ Rider - nice claim!! That's a long game, very happy to see someone take an interest in it so early!

@Ikariniku - Vice went under my radar forever. A friend asked to play it with me last year and it was great. If I remember correctly there was one part on the last stage very close to the end that we got stuck on for a while, but since there were infinite continues in the game we just stuck with it and eventually were victorious. Glad to see our goals align!!

@Fokakis79 - Great claim as well! Tombs and Treasures is just one of those games that doesn't get any attention and I would have expected we wouldn't get to it until significantly later in the year. You're correct that the victory condition is simply beat the game. Nothing unusual for that title.

@Disposed Hero - That was absolutely a typo (which I've now corrected). I do have faith in our abilities, but 100 in one day is a little too intense, lol. I love how you're approaching this! Finding new gems on your own is super satisfying. Some of my now favorite NES games are ones I've stumbled across like that. I've also used a randomizer before too. Good way to not get overwhelmed by choices as long as you're ok with the results maybe not matching the style of game you are in the mood for.

PS - all new claims updated
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:06:20 PM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2018, 04:28:42 PM »

I would like to claim Dragon Warrior 2 for my main game. this one is the game that will take the most time. I hope I can complete random games in between my playthrough and still have them count
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length