RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:42:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 468337 times)
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2019, 01:47:14 PM »

@bombatomba: Nice! 2019 has barely begun and we're already knocking games out left and right!

I'm definitely not going to do an entire video playthrough for Final Fantasy, but I'm planning on recording a few videos here and there, mainly trying to capture the highlights. Here's a 'getting started' video:

Yes, those weird squiggles you see in place of the text is Japanese. I've been attempting to learn Japanese for a while now and thought that playing a relatively simple and repetitive game like this would be good practice for me. According to what I've read, there are no real content or balancing differences between the Japanese and NA versions, so I hope it's cool that I'm playing this version.

Also, in the spirit of this being a community effort, I decided to take some of you guys along for the ride! In order, my party consists of Hero, Banana, Bomba, and Crabby. Sorry for leaving everyone else out, but there's only so much you can do with a 4-man party.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2019, 02:23:42 PM »

I hope I fight well!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2019, 02:29:32 PM »

Well I guess Tapatalk wont let me load a video from my phone.  So for now you just get some screen shots.  LOL

Felix the Cat was fun to play.  A great platformer that plays and looks a lot like Super Mario Bros 3. There are 9 levels with 3 sub levels for each level except level 8.  A little easy except for level 8.  Had a hard time with that.  But overall a great game.  One of the few mid-level/expensive games worth buying.

Spent about 4 hrs with it.  The biggest time consumption is that there is no save states.  So after you use your lives up and your couple of continues you have to start back from the beginning.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2019, 02:32:37 PM »

What party are you using, Disposed? I always liked the Fighter, BB, WM, BM, party.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2019, 02:58:21 PM »

All beaten and claimed games have been updated. Do me a favor and when you beat or claim something keep an eye out that I didn't miss your name when I update the pages. If I did just shoot me a friendly PM and I'll fix it next time I hop on.

Great pace so far guys! If we are going to hit 100 for January we need to finish at little more than 3 a day so this is on pace for us to hit our first target and the day is only half over in my neck of the woods!

@Disposed Hero - That's awesome! What kind of character did you make me? A badass thief perhaps? I tried to do that on Wizardry, but then they all died and I didn't want to recover the members and then realized it was going to be tough keeping track of everybody so I just started naming them Fighter1/2/etc. Made things easier for me :/

also no problem playing the Japanese version for Final Fantasy. Thanks for doing the leg work to make sure there weren't any significant differences in the game.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2019, 03:05:58 PM »

What party are you using, Disposed? I always liked the Fighter, BB, WM, BM, party.

I went with Fighter, Thief, WM, BM, so it's a similar setup. I wanted to do something a bit more interesting, but with this being such a tough game, I thought I should go with a traditional well-rounded configuration. I might play the PSP version in the future and do something different.

@Crabby: Due to your affinity for FFIX and Vivi in particular, I made you the Black Mage. Smiley

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2019, 03:50:42 PM »

I knocked off Baseball Stars this morning completing a series. This could have just been a one-game series according to the rules, but I decided to play each of the top 5 teams once. I won all 5 games and didn't give up a single run. I still contend that this is the best baseball game ever made for any system. I love the RPG elements of being able to name your characters and powering up their abilities. There are so many great touches to this game that it's amazing they got it right in such an early title.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2019, 03:57:54 PM »

I wanted to start out with another piece of comfort food today and play through Gunsmoke. I played this game a lot as a kid and was surprised that even after all of these years, I knew where every wanted poster was. This is one of my favorite Shooters of all time and the Western theme is really cool. Did the shock at the end when you take out the boss, but then realize he has a brother. Haha!

For my next claim, I'm going to put myself down for Mario Brothers. I've already made a few attempts and reached stage 14, but I'm going to have to do some work to make it to stage 19. These old arcade games are a challenge and I want to knock off one of the Black Box games this month.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2019, 04:10:51 PM »

I went with Fighter, Thief, WM, BM, so it's a similar setup. I wanted to do something a bit more interesting, but with this being such a tough game, I thought I should go with a traditional well-rounded configuration. I might play the PSP version in the future and do something different.

I always recommend BB, BB, WM, BM (or BB, BB, Th, BM), though on the NES that instantly adds another 10-15 hours of grinding (though if you do an all BB band you can skip the Tower of Ordeals).  Still, it is totally worth it at level 42 when every boss dies in one hit from your BB.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2019, 04:16:51 PM »

@Crabby: Due to your affinity for FFIX and Vivi in particular, I made you the Black Mage. Smiley

That's a LIT choice! I hope your enemies QAKE in my presense! Glad to see you didn't add NUKE.togo to the team, he's always holding me back. Gotta go now, time to RUB one out??

@singlebanana - awesome job Rich!! I really love the Baseball Stars games too. It doesn't have as much depth, but I really like Dusty Diamond also, tons of fun.

EDIT: All claims and finished games updated
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:25:10 PM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2019, 04:32:12 PM »

I will lay claim to Tale Spin to start this off. Should be a quick one for me to complete. I'm even going to start it right now. I will be playing it on the Disney Afternoon Collection, but I will do so on time attack mode so I am not able to use the compilation's rewind feature to cheat.

Also, aside from the extremely rare titles only a couple of us may own and not have the time to play quickly, I'm guessing we will plow through this list in 3-4 months, maybe less.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2019, 04:39:42 PM »

I will lay claim to Tale Spin to start this off. Should be a quick one for me to complete. I'm even going to start it right now. I will be playing it on the Disney Afternoon Collection, but I will do so on time attack mode so I am not able to use the compilation's rewind feature to cheat.

Also, aside from the extremely rare titles only a couple of us may own and not have the time to play quickly, I'm guessing we will plow through this list in 3-4 months, maybe less.

You are a crazy person if you think 3-4 months is doable. Don't underestimate how many games are in this library that are hard as heck, long slogs to beat or are just not games that many people want to play. If we do this it's gonna be a nail bitter I'm pretty sure.

I'll mark you down for Tailspin! Thanks for joining in!!

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »

You are a crazy person if you think 3-4 months is doable. Don't underestimate how many games are in this library that are hard as heck, long slogs to beat or are just not games that many people want to play. If we do this it's gonna be a nail bitter I'm pretty sure.

I'll definitely stay motivated to pick up some of that slack to not sound like a complete tool in my majority completion guess, I figured with like 10-20 of us playing, and so many of the titles I was hoping to snag already taken, I figured it would be quick, and I stand by it. Ha ha I wanted all of the Dragon Warriors when I first read the blog post, but three of the four have already been taken, so I will have to look at the rest of my library for games I haven't ever played to keep it going.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2019, 04:52:09 PM »

I'll definitely stay motivated to pick up some of that slack to not sound like a complete tool in my majority completion guess, I figured with like 10-20 of us playing, and so many of the titles I was hoping to snag already taken, I figured it would be quick, and I stand by it. Ha ha I wanted all of the Dragon Warriors when I first read the blog post, but three of the four have already been taken, so I will have to look at the rest of my library for games I haven't ever played to keep it going.

I feel your pain!! Mighty Final Fight and Baseball Stars were games I was hoping to nab myself. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong. Bring it on!

cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2019, 05:05:00 PM »

Claiming Tecmo NBA Basketball. 

Already 5 games in.  It will take a while so I am going to tackle some smaller games during the grind.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length