RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:45:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465667 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2019, 11:11:57 PM »

I really wanted to start this challenge by knocking off games that where initially released on the system, basically the Black Box games. I'm not claiming these all of course and I'm not going to finish them all for sure, just something I wanted to try. Tonight I knocked off three of them. Kung Fu, Golf, and 10-Yard Fight. I put some effort into Baseball, but the fielding really sucks in that game.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2019, 11:12:12 PM »

Donkey Kong Jr. Math done

Donkey Kong 3 done

I gave Panic Restaurant some play, but got bored at the next to last level. The early levels were easy, and I'm sure I could get through it if I put the time in, but not now. Maybe if nobody else knocks it out.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:15:41 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2019, 11:18:25 PM »

Spoiler (hover to show)
"Beat it once".  On the second castle on the 2nd play through.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2019, 11:38:08 PM »

Popeye done

I've played way more of the Colecovision version of this, and I wish there was a really great arcade port. Solid game.

Also, I made a cartoon! Tiny Toon Adventures Cartoon Workshop done.

To end the evening, I colored the crap out of some dinosaurs. Shield your eyes if you dare look.

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:29:59 AM by Duke.Togo » Logged

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2019, 03:03:03 AM »

Day 2 was nearly as productive as day 1!! Well done gang!

Despite my hopes, looks like I won't get Vice: project Doom done before MAGfest.  I still want to keep it claimed, but the earliest I'll get it done is Sunday night.

While I am still very good at the early stages, the later ones are proving tough.  Probably because I haven't practiced them as much.  Vice is a tough game, and I'm not, perhaps, as skilled as others here.  I want to hold onto Vice, though, especially as other of my potential picks are gobbled up.  getting through it is important to me, as is the motivation of the NES Challenge to do it.

It's yours as long as you need it. As long as you're working on beating it you can keep it claimed. If you decide to put it down for any reason, just let me know and I'll add it back to the list for others.

Is claiming a game mandatory? Or can I just post end screen pics without claiming prior?

Like singlebanana said you never need to claim anything to beat it. It's just there to make sure we don't have 2  or more people investing time into the same game at the same time.

... TMNT 2 is harder than I remember, I played the arcade a lot and this is so much harder, I think I'm getting it.. I hope the next try is the last... Shredder got me with the quickness last game.

TMNT2 does have some really tough spots. And both the Krang and Shredder fights at the end are brutal. Glad to see you were able to take them down, that's a lot of jump kicks!

Tale Spin is complete. I will upload my screenshot as soon as I remember how I used to do it. Ha ha

I thought using Time Attack mode on the Disney Afternoon Collection would be a nice way for me to crank those titles out for the team, but I found out that preventing myself from being able to use the rewind feature to cheat created an exchange for a crappy screenshot. You guys will see when I post, but the time attack records just like speed-runner videos, and it freezes the screen on the final hit on the boss, instead of allowing the end credits to roll.

As far as the game itself goes, I loved it, and wish I could have experienced it as a child. The flying mechanics and the upgrade system between stages were awesome. Although to beat the game, I definitely had to make sure I collected all the funds I could during the first two or three stages to be able to afford the Rapid-fire upgrades ASAP. I am not great at platformers to begin with, and not having those upgrades for the back half of the game would have easily seen me burn through my lives and continues well before the final stage.

Awesome job! I remember not liking Tale Spin at all and have always considered it one of the weakest Disney/Capcom titles. Glad to see someone found more joy in it than I did. I'll cross it off our list as soon as you're able to get that pic up for it.

@Duke.Togo - coming in with hard hitting titles right off the bat!! Who else was gonna do all those maths AND have the skills to stay in the lines while coloring??

@Shaggy - Only 2 more to go!

EDIT: All claims and games updated

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2019, 07:59:58 AM »

Trying to fend off the Alzheimer’s.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2019, 08:49:59 AM »

Did a ton more grinding on Wizardry tonight, bought some new equipment with my hard earned cash, and then decided to see if I could venture down a couple floors. Floor 1-3 seem like I can handle them now, but 4 was too much. Status effects in this game are the worst. A simple Paralysis or Poison is deadly. I'm also having a heck of time remember what all my spells do. I think I'm going to have the write myself down a cheat sheet with which spell caster can do what for me, because I'm spending too much time looking them up every time I want to cast something.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »

Day 2 was nearly as productive as day 1!! Well done gang!

Despite my hopes, looks like I won't get Vice: project Doom done before MAGfest.  I still want to keep it claimed, but the earliest I'll get it done is Sunday night.

While I am still very good at the early stages, the later ones are proving tough.  Probably because I haven't practiced them as much.  Vice is a tough game, and I'm not, perhaps, as skilled as others here.  I want to hold onto Vice, though, especially as other of my potential picks are gobbled up.  getting through it is important to me, as is the motivation of the NES Challenge to do it.

It's yours as long as you need it. As long as you're working on beating it you can keep it claimed. If you decide to put it down for any reason, just let me know and I'll add it back to the list for others.

Is claiming a game mandatory? Or can I just post end screen pics without claiming prior?

Like singlebanana said you never need to claim anything to beat it. It's just there to make sure we don't have 2  or more people investing time into the same game at the same time.

... TMNT 2 is harder than I remember, I played the arcade a lot and this is so much harder, I think I'm getting it.. I hope the next try is the last... Shredder got me with the quickness last game.

TMNT2 does have some really tough spots. And both the Krang and Shredder fights at the end are brutal. Glad to see you were able to take them down, that's a lot of jump kicks!

Tale Spin is complete. I will upload my screenshot as soon as I remember how I used to do it. Ha ha

I thought using Time Attack mode on the Disney Afternoon Collection would be a nice way for me to crank those titles out for the team, but I found out that preventing myself from being able to use the rewind feature to cheat created an exchange for a crappy screenshot. You guys will see when I post, but the time attack records just like speed-runner videos, and it freezes the screen on the final hit on the boss, instead of allowing the end credits to roll.

As far as the game itself goes, I loved it, and wish I could have experienced it as a child. The flying mechanics and the upgrade system between stages were awesome. Although to beat the game, I definitely had to make sure I collected all the funds I could during the first two or three stages to be able to afford the Rapid-fire upgrades ASAP. I am not great at platformers to begin with, and not having those upgrades for the back half of the game would have easily seen me burn through my lives and continues well before the final stage.

Awesome job! I remember not liking Tale Spin at all and have always considered it one of the weakest Disney/Capcom titles. Glad to see someone found more joy in it than I did. I'll cross it off our list as soon as you're able to get that pic up for it.

@Duke.Togo - coming in with hard hitting titles right off the bat!! Who else was gonna do all those maths AND have the skills to stay in the lines while coloring??

@Shaggy - Only 2 more to go!

EDIT: All claims and games updated
I don't see the Fisher Price game claimed for me on the list?

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2019, 12:02:53 PM »

Just finished Duck Tales yesterday and will beat Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers today.

Both of their sequels seem pretty doable for me, but I tried Darkwing Duck and it really showcases how bad I suck at platformers, so I might not be able to complete that one. Ha ha

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »

@douglie007 - fixed that for you. Thanks for catching my error.

Just finished Duck Tales yesterday and will beat Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers today.

Both of their sequels seem pretty doable for me, but I tried Darkwing Duck and it really showcases how bad I suck at platformers, so I might not be able to complete that one. Ha ha

Totally agree with you. Duck Tales 2 and Rescue Rangers 2 are definitely doable if you can beat the first games. They are a both longer, but about the same level of difficulty. Darkwing Duck is probably the hardest of the Disney/Capcom games. Get some pics up so I can cross your games off the list!!

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2019, 02:24:50 PM »

Great to see everyone chipping away at the list. Haven't been able to start up Tombs & Treasures just yet but will finally have several days to work on it starting tomorrow. I got a couple other games in mind to play along with it. If I start those up, I will post my progress as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2019, 04:56:08 PM »

@douglie007 - fixed that for you. Thanks for catching my error.

Totally agree with you. Duck Tales 2 and Rescue Rangers 2 are definitely doable if you can beat the first games. They are a both longer, but about the same level of difficulty. Darkwing Duck is probably the hardest of the Disney/Capcom games. Get some pics up so I can cross your games off the list!!

Just finished Rescue Rangers. Working on pics for all three of my completions over the last three days now.

My biggest problem with Darkwing Duck is the "Hook" system. Some of them automatically grab, others require you to hold "Up" as you cross them, and after grabbing, I have the worst time controlling my movements afterwards. It was a lot easier to work with the hooks in Duck Tales 2, but with Darkwing Duck, sometimes it won't register my "Down" being held and I jump instead of releasing, or I forget that I don't need to hold "Up" when jumping off of them, creating movements I don't want, or I find myself moving to the joystick on the XBone controller and I don't realize it until I really screw up a jump or an attack. Also, the D-Pad on the XBone controller feels like it plays much crappier than it should. I'm also pretty impatient, which doesn't help the situation. Ha ha If I owned them on the NES itself, I would probably do better with my trusty "Dogbone" controller, but I only physically own Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers, so someone else may end up having to tackle it if I can't get it beat.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »

Had help with Firehouse Rescue. But its done, I think I'll take Golf if no one else got it.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »

Tale Spin. I am really proud of myself for being able to beat this one, and during my first rewind-free attempt no less. Again, awesome game.

Duck Tales. I played this game dozens of times growing up, (if not hundreds). I know this game inside and out and was able to blow through it in under 11 minutes! That shows up as 75th all time fastest on the leaderboards. I even died twice before I was able to beat Dracula Duck. If I had beat him without dying, I would have been right around 8:30 for the completion, which is in the top 10 all time fastest. I almost want to try it again to see what I can accomplish.

Rescue Rangers. Another game I played a lot growing up, but not nearly as much as Duck Tales. I was also never able to beat it in my youth, so I wasn't going to try to set any speed records with this one. Ended up beating Fat Cat on the first attempt with only one health remaining, so I was very happy there, even if I hadn't used any continues getting to that point.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2019, 08:15:29 PM »

@douglie007 Sorry bud, I polished off Golf last night. Wink

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length