RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:01:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465520 times)
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2019, 09:51:19 PM »

One suggestion for you crabby. 

Can we mark out the games that have been completed in the top post.  Like maybe in red front or something.

Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

They are removing them from the list of games once they are completed.
Oh ok.  Thanks shaggy

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2019, 01:56:34 AM »

long day at work, dont feel like working on the first real grind on dragon warrior 2 so I quickly destroyed Megaman 4 for the list

* Megaman 4 ending.jpg (2268.4 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 306 times.)
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »

We are officially over the halfway hump for January's target of 100 games and we did it in the first week! You guys are killing it!

@Disposed Hero - I grew up with Super C and it wasn't until many years later I found out about regular old Contra. I've always preferred it slightly, but that could very easily be the nostalgia speaking.

@Fokakis79 - A friend of mine had a bass fishing game for the SNES we played a little bit as kids. Never played Blue Marlin on the NES though. How is it so far?

@cverz2 - Doesn't Arch Rivals feel like a pre-curser to NBA Jam? Also shaggy is correct that we are simply removing the beaten titles form the available games list and moving them down to the completed games list. As long as it's in the available list you're good to go.

@EZ Racer - I think where your head is at. Every once and a while I go back to something I played as a kid, but never finished and dedicate myself to taking it down. A couple months back I finally beat X-Men for the Genesis after it kicking my ass for the last 25 years or so. Was very satisfying.

Very surprised that Mega Man 1 and 4 were taken down before 2 and 3!

I was able to put a ton of time back into Wizardry tonight and I'm basically back where I died last time and nearly ready for the final boss. Just been heading down to the 10th floor to grind out some slightly better equipment. One of my fighters got tagged with a -2 levels spell though so I've got a little extra grinding to do now to get him back up. Assuming I don't screw up like I did last time I should be able to finish it off tomorrow when I play. Think I'll go for a couple shorter games to cleanse my palate and then maybe try the other Wizardry game while it's fresh in my mind and I wont have to relearn too many cryptic systems again down the road.

EDIT: All completions updated

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #198 on: January 07, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »

long day at work, dont feel like working on the first real grind on dragon warrior 2 so I quickly destroyed Megaman 4 for the list

A top loader, eh? Is it one of the models with composite out or are you running coax through a series of converters? I've never found the right combination of converters from coax that allow me to use the top loader and the Atari systems.
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »

Finished up Willow this morning! I know I have been going on and on about this game and how much I like it. But it was a joy to play. It had great music. It felt true to the movie for the most part. I mean they had to take liberties to make a game out of it, but it had some memorable scenes from the movie. Difficulty wise the boss fights were pretty easy if you were high enough level and had the right gear. The areas were maze like and you had no map but you could quickly learn your way around the different areas. Willow will be my second game to complete for the challenge and the second I have never played on this challenge.

Going to continue playing Blue Marlin but was wondering if I could claim Amagon as I just picked it up and have never played it at all. I am trying to play games I have never ever played or touched. Not sure if thats allowed if not thats cool, I will just try to play them in tandem and hope noone else jumps in on it.

@crabbie, Blue Marlin is kinda fun when it comes to fighting the fish part. Its got some weird QTEs that seem to be random on the results. I played it a bunch yesterday and I am finally understanding how to reel in fish successfully. I used to play Bass Masters Classic on SNES with my little brother all the time. It got to be a game we rented multiple times, not sure why we didn't just go buy it.

Well great to see we are making great progress on the list. On to the next challenge!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2019, 01:20:39 PM »

I made it up to the boss in the 5th town.  I'm having trouble with him, though.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2019, 02:08:56 PM »

Great job Fokakis79!! I've got Amagan marked off as yours now. I've heard it's pretty short, but quite challenging. Good luck!

@shaggy - Have you upgraded your kicks? I found that was the easiest way to get through the game. Just make sure you keep having that fast flurry of kicks and then it's simply spacing your character just out of the baddies range and kicking them a couple times then moving back just enough to dodge their jump forward and repeat. Get's a little trickier with the later bosses that shoot projectiles, but since you restart right after the last orb thing you collected you can just keep retrying until you nail it.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »

@Disposed Hero - I grew up with Super C and it wasn't until many years later I found out about regular old Contra. I've always preferred it slightly, but that could very easily be the nostalgia speaking.

I could go either way since there are things about both games I like over the other. I prefer the levels, bosses, and music in the original, but prefer the overhead stages in Super C to the Base stages in the original, and I also like that Super C is a bit longer than Contra.

Progress report on Final Fantasy: I just got the ship! Spending some time grinding for money to buy new spells and equipment before moving on.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2019, 04:38:13 PM »

Finished up Willow this morning! I know I have been going on and on about this game and how much I like it. But it was a joy to play. It had great music. It felt true to the movie for the most part. I mean they had to take liberties to make a game out of it, but it had some memorable scenes from the movie. Difficulty wise the boss fights were pretty easy if you were high enough level and had the right gear. The areas were maze like and you had no map but you could quickly learn your way around the different areas. Willow will be my second game to complete for the challenge and the second I have never played on this challenge.

Adding this to my "to get" list.

This challenge is making it very hard to play FFIX, lol  I need to be getting through disc 2, but instead I am spending all my time playing through Zelda II.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 04:39:59 PM by bombatomba » Logged

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2019, 07:04:05 PM »

Adding this to my "to get" list.

This challenge is making it very hard to play FFIX, lol  I need to be getting through disc 2, but instead I am spending all my time playing through Zelda II.

I'm so torn!!

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2019, 09:12:44 PM »

to shane,

mine is a coaxial set up. and my monitor is an emerson tv with (in my opinion) a cool setup only thing i need now is a capture card and my desk would be complete

* Monitor.jpg (2219.05 KB, 2216x4013 - viewed 249 times.)
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »

to shane,

mine is a coaxial set up. and my monitor is an emerson tv with (in my opinion) a cool setup only thing i need now is a capture card and my desk would be complete

Crazy! My displays don't have coax inputs or TV tuners, so I've got to at least run it through an RF modulator. With as much electronic equipment plugged in here, though, I always get RFI that isn't fully filtered out with the magnet clamp-ons so the picture has interference. I just end up using the rPi to emulate those systems through HDMI instead.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2019, 08:44:40 AM »

Freaking Wizardry!!! So the single most ridiculous thing that has every happened to me in a video game happened tonight. Worse than any glitch or crash I've ever had. After a few more hours of grinding and save scumming the final boss to get him locked down I was finally able to defeat him!! Yeah game over, right? Not in Wizardry! Seems I've got to take the Amulet I was awarded for the battle back to the initial Castle you start in, problem is that the final stage is a series of warps that lead to that fight and there is no warp back anywhere in the stage. After a bit of frantic running away from every enemy because I was on the brink of death (and terrified that a random encounter would get priority in battle and take me out before I could run) I finally figured out you can "use" the Amulet to warp around the dungeon! Sounds pretty cool. It lets you input co-ordinates and even floors. Not understanding exactly what I was doing, and having absolutely no direction from the game on how this works I plugged in a few numbers to check it out............. "Your party has teleported into a rock. Everyone is dead"...😭😭😭😭😭

Being that my team was stuck in an unknown wall with the Amulet I needed to end the game I had no way to recover it. I was forced to look up how to clear the save data from my cart completely and start over for the 3rd time! I feel like I've got this down to a science now though so I rolled yet another new team (inspired by Disposed Hero's FF Party I named my party after a few of you guys), and got to grinding immediately once more. Good news is I don't need maps at this point. I've run this dungeon so many times now I can navigate it pretty well as long as I don't get teleported via a chest trap. So even though I failed spectacularly last night, I'm nearly back to the level I need to be to take my 3rd run at W E R D N A (final boss), and finally cross this game off the list. I can't imagine what would get in my way this time other than user input error so as long as I'm slow and careful during my late game battles and I'm going to look up a safe spot to teleport from/to after the battle. I keep saying this, but this time I mean it. Gonna beat Wizardry next time!!

Thanks for keeping me company in the dungeon during all of this you guys Smiley

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »

Wow, that's harsh, Crabby! The Retronauts podcast from last year where they interviewed the Wizardry main dev/designer said the NES version was the best one, but obviously even with that, it's still broken in some ways. Keep at it, and you'll get there!

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2019, 09:35:50 AM »

Wow, that's harsh, Crabby! The Retronauts podcast from last year where they interviewed the Wizardry main dev/designer said the NES version was the best one, but obviously even with that, it's still broken in some ways. Keep at it, and you'll get there!

Yeah I listened to that show too. Was really great. The game isn't broken, it was very intentionally destined like this. I found out after if you teleport a level or more above the castle the game tells you that you fall to your death. I just didn't understand how the coordinates worked. Turns out they match up to the 10 x 10 grid that each floor maps out too. Most areas are safe to teleport to on any of the floors, but apparently I found an exception Sad

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length