RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:36:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465497 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2019, 08:01:51 PM »

EDITING....... PODCAST........ UGHHHHHHB

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2019, 08:19:48 PM »

Got back from MAGfest Sunday, worked Monday, watched a Vice: Project Doom speedrun on AGDQ, and got back at it yesterday.  Still haven't beaten it, but I got to the last boss today before my skill collapsed and I couldn't play anymore.  Feels like tomorrow will be the day.

Also, found a flaw in my capture setup, so I have to fix that to ensure my completion video has audio.

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2019, 11:42:23 PM »

Beat Jeopardy 25th Anniversary Edition.  This was harder than I expected because I had to think of current events from 1990.
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2019, 12:50:58 AM »

Beat Blue Marlin today! Had a lot of fun with this one. It makes me want to try out other NES fishing games.

Meanwhile Amagon is pretty challenging for me. This game really is a test of patience.

@crabbie, Days of Thunder is ridiculous but I need to put more time into it to see how difficult it really is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2019, 07:53:52 AM »

Good progress again you guys. 60 games taken down so far!! Was just teasing about the day with no completions also. With several of us plugging away at RPGs it's to be expected that we'd have an odd day like that.

Got back from MAGfest Sunday, worked Monday, watched a Vice: Project Doom speedrun on AGDQ, and got back at it yesterday.  Still haven't beaten it, but I got to the last boss today before my skill collapsed and I couldn't play anymore.  Feels like tomorrow will be the day.

Also, found a flaw in my capture setup, so I have to fix that to ensure my completion video has audio.

So close!! Bet you can taste that victory already!!

@Fokakis79 - The racing itself was pretty hard, but you can get used to it after enough time and every track is an oval so once you've got it down you're golden. It was getting in and out of the pit that was so challenging for me. It was very easy to mess up the sloppy controls and spend way too much time in there so that everyone that you've passed overtakes you again. If you can get the pit down you can beat the game though.

Was able to finish Digger T Rock. Never hear anything about it so I was curious to find out what it was all about. Surprised me that it was a RARE game. In each stage You have to stand on a pillar which opens a stone slab later in the each level and rush to it before it closes. Pretty basic at first, but becomes more maze like later on. No continues, but it's only 8 short stages so it wasn't too bad. Once you figure out the bonus stage you can score a free life nearly every one so that helped a ton. I spent a few hours on it learning the levels, but my final playthrough from start to finish was like 12 minutes. Super short game. Sloppy controls and hit detection kind of kill the fun, but there were a few really good songs in it!

Check these tunes out!!

And my personal favorite:

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2019, 08:48:02 AM »

Alright, I have been chipping away at some of the black box games.  Mario Bros. up to level 15 (need to reach 17), half of Balloon Fight finished, and Excitebike nearly done, just need to shave off some seconds.  I'm going to go ahead and release Mario Bros. in favor of a platformer. I'll still make some runs at it, but if someone knocks it off first, that's fine.  I'm going to switch to the original Wizards & Warriors.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2019, 11:22:02 AM »

Was able to finish Digger T Rock. Never hear anything about it so I was curious to find out what it was all about. Surprised me that it was a RARE game. In each stage You have to stand on a pillar which opens a stone slab later in the each level and rush to it before it closes. Pretty basic at first, but becomes more maze like later on. No continues, but it's only 8 short stages so it wasn't too bad. Once you figure out the bonus stage you can score a free life nearly every one so that helped a ton. I spent a few hours on it learning the levels, but my final playthrough from start to finish was like 12 minutes. Super short game. Sloppy controls and hit detection kind of kill the fun, but there were a few really good songs in it!

I didn't know Digger T. Rock was an NES title until I saw it on the list. (In fact, I have become a little overwhelmed by my feelings when I see the great many titles on the list that I had no idea were on the NES. It is actually pretty awesome to realize this so many years later.)

I have played it within Rare Replay on the XBone and mirror your feelings about it. Wonderful soundtrack, frustrating controls. (Honestly, that is how I feel about almost every RARE title I have played through on the compilation that came out before like...1992. Ha ha)

I have really fallen in love with RARE more than ever because of Rare Replay. As you progress, you get stamps for playing each game to mark your progress that go on 12-stamp "cards". After completing each card, you unlock a new video of bonus material to enjoy, and watching those really is worth any and all effort to unlock them. I have learned SO much about them and the old school video game industry as a whole from some of those interviews and explanations. The compilation touts 30 titles, and I thought that included everything they produced aside from the Donkey Kong games Nintendo wouldn't release for them to use...I was wrong. They developed something like 120 games that were successfully released, (Including the Silent Service port we all go so crazy over on the NES. leo) and I learned they got pretty deep into development on almost just as many projects that were scrapped over the years, not to mention doing so while enduring some of the most interesting and dramatic business changes I have ever heard of, gaming or otherwise.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »

Well...... That didn't take as long as I thought it would. Wizards & Warriors down. Let's add Rygar to my claimed list next. Smiley

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2019, 03:32:51 PM »

I am no good at Amagon. Can't even get past 1-2. Going to give myself more time with it but wow is it frustrating at times. 

Starting to understand Days of Thunder but yeah those pit stops are hard to get done quick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2019, 09:42:18 PM »

Tiger Heli done. I couldn't get a picture of the game over screen since it goes so fast, but you can see my score here.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2019, 11:28:58 PM »

Finished Town 7.  Onto the last Town.  This came is sooo frustrating.  The controls are very sloppy which results in a lot of deaths.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2019, 01:04:28 AM »

Late Night gaming again but I had to try and finish Whomp'EM! i have loved the game growing up and finilly finishing the game for the first time and seeing how close I was to finishing it kind of bums me out. Still love the game though!

* Whomp 'EM.jpg (1607.75 KB, 4032x2916 - viewed 302 times.)
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2019, 06:12:44 AM »

Done with work for the week, so that means MORE NES GAMES! Haven't played much of Alfred Chicken before this, but after playing through it I think it's been added to my replay list. Great puzzle platformer with tight controls and a float mechanic. Boss fights are a very basic shooter, so they're a little disappointing, but on the whole a great game. Once you know the stage layouts it'll probably take a couple hours to play through.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2019, 07:41:19 AM »

Imagine My surprise when I logged in just now to post my Alfred Chicken completion to see I was beat to it by mere hours!! We have 600 games to choose from, what are the odds two of us in the middle of the same night decided to play Alfred Freakin Chicken!! You win this round shane......Looking at your time stamp I could have even posted mine earlier, but I thought "No one is gonna play Alfred Chicken tonight and maybe I can post two win screens today so I'll play something else too". It's not a total waste for me though since I keep a personal record of the NES games I've been beating and I was at least able to cross it off that list.

@Boshamp - I didn't even think of trying it on that collection. I should boot it up and slam through it while it's fresh in my mind rather than trying to relearn it down the road to unlock that extra content. Thanks!

@Duke.Togo - That works just fine. I know lots of the early and arcade style games don't give you much of a chance to snap a pic if they even show anything at all.

Other than my Alfred Chicken win being ninja'd I also played a bunch of Athena tonight. Whoa boy is this "game" a dumpster fire. Made it to the world of Sky tonight and couldn't quite break through that stage. I'll give it another go in a couple days again.

EDIT: All claims and completions updated

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2019, 08:10:20 AM »

Can we put end screen pictures in spoilers, please?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length