RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:36:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465538 times)
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #315 on: January 17, 2019, 03:31:08 PM »

@Shane, The box art alone makes me want to play Ghost Lion. I am curious what makes it a bad rpg.

Pulled from the Discord channel:

It doesn't have any grinding required, but the leveling system relies on you exploring every screen of the game to find items that increase your level.

To find them, you fight a lot more battles, which doesn't do anything but waste time and add to your ruby count that you mostly need for traveling by boat a couple of times.

I think the fight with the white lion took some 45 turns. That's the thing I don't really like about RPGs. It's just lengthening the game without requiring much skill on the player's part.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #316 on: January 17, 2019, 07:46:12 PM »

I'm going to toss Mega Man V back open in case anyone wants to tackle it. Haven't had much time.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #317 on: January 18, 2019, 02:03:57 AM »

@shane, got it. Although I see RPGs requiring different skills than ones you use in action games. RPGs require the use of strategy. There are exceptions such as Dark Souls which requires controlller skills and strategizing on how to approach taking on challenges.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2019, 04:20:23 AM »

BTW I beat AD&D: Heroes of the Lance. Very short game. Just 4 stages and the last stage is just the final boss. Took some puzzle solving to kill the final boss but was able to get it done. I read the books that the game was about when I was younger. The game is basically about the last part of the first book from what I can remember.  Apparently there is a sequel to it that covers the next book but it looks like it was only released in Japan. Please let me know if I am wrong about this and it was released because I would like to play it. The music isn't half bad. The ending music is very catchy to me and I thought it was pretty awesome. I would like to claim Ultima Exodus for next long game. Might go after Batman again while I am working my way through Ultima. I am stalling out on Black Bass for some reason the difficulty of catching fish just shot through the roof. Sticking with but might need to try different strategies for catching fish.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2019, 09:06:32 AM »

Nice job on Heroes of the Lance Foakakis79! I enjoyed it as well. Short and sweet! I'd recommend using a guide for Ultima Exodus. The dungeons and the moon phase travel are both very confusing without some extra help. It's a neat early RPG, but if you're up for it afterwards Quest of the Avatar is absolutely mind blowing.

I wanted to keep the Monster Truck madness going tonight so I played through Monster Truck Rally. It was not a good game at all. If you're craving some Monster Trucks Bigfoot is a better game in every possible way.

Also noticed the lack of shmups being beaten so far (other than the two Duke took down earlier) so I decided to grab a couple to try. Played and beat Stinger with a little trouble on the top down stages. Game felt a lot better for me when it was scrolling horizontally. And like many shmups of this era once you've got your weapons and shields built up you can make some really good progress. It's a tough recovery once you get shot down though. Thankfully it was very short and every boss fight was a breeze so it was just getting through the 3rd and 4th stage mostly for me. Pretty unremarkable overall.

Also tried to play Sqoon tonight, but my cart kept freezing so I'm gonna have to tear it apart and give it a good scrub down to see if I can't fix that up. Since Sqoon didn't work for me I decided it was time to start my claim of Wizardry Knight of Diamond. Luckily it is an expansion to the first one instead of a sequel so all the the systems in place are super familiar since I had to play the first game 3 times basically. I don't think this will take me nearly as long since I learned a lot of the harsh lessons of Wizardry already. After rolling a team I was satisfied with I found my favorite grind toy (Murphy's Ghost) and spend a couple hours power levelling with him. Got my entire team to Level 12 already which is the same level I finished the last game with so unless the later areas of the dungeon are more plentiful in XP I should be good to do some serious exploring already and hopefully even take this one down next time I can play. I was a little sad to reset the save data on the cart because the previous owner had some level 30 elite characters I could have pulled from, but that seemed unfair plus if they had already collected any story items (which was very likely) I would have missed out on those parts of the game so I cleared it all to start at level 1 again.

Monster Truck Rally:

Stinger:

And Wizardry as upped it "classy" factor with some great new encounters in the expansion. Can't wait to grind me some Dinks!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #320 on: January 18, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »

singlebanana "The Dink Grinder"............ I like the sound of that

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #321 on: January 18, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »

It's officially canon now!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #322 on: January 18, 2019, 02:16:23 PM »

It's officially canon now!

If by "canon" you mean that it's in my signature now, then YES......YES it is

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2019, 09:38:31 PM »

Gun•Nac completed.

The difficulty was all over the place. There were bosses in some levels that felt like they should have been early game bosses, and it wasn't because of the weapon type I had. I kept weapon 5 for as long as possible. Pretty fun, though. The final boss is a little intense depending on where the tail is positioned.
Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2019, 09:42:51 PM »

Making progress in Legend of Zelda.  4 dungeons down!
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2019, 10:52:36 PM »

Power Blade done. Another awesome game I'm playing for the first time!

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #326 on: January 19, 2019, 12:24:21 AM »

Gun•Nac completed.

The difficulty was all over the place. There were bosses in some levels that felt like they should have been early game bosses, and it wasn't because of the weapon type I had. I kept weapon 5 for as long as possible. Pretty fun, though. The final boss is a little intense depending on where the tail is positioned.

Interesting to hear you say you prefer the weapon #5. I've always preferred weapon 3, and most playthroughs I've seen go for it as well, or weapon 4. Shows the game's balance if that many weapons can be the preferred one.
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #327 on: January 19, 2019, 07:43:32 AM »

Interesting to hear you say you prefer the weapon #5. I've always preferred weapon 3, and most playthroughs I've seen go for it as well, or weapon 4. Shows the game's balance if that many weapons can be the preferred one.

I like how the outer most beams sweep the complete screen horizontally, then run vertically along the edges of the screen.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #328 on: January 19, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »

This update puts us at 108 total completions now!! Can we make 150 by the end of January??

@shane - Gun Nac is so much fun! Great job it's pretty tough at parts too.

@Wempster - nice progress. Halfway there!!

@Disposed Hero - I  LOVE Power Blade. It's one of my favorite games on the system. I often listen to just the soundtrack as well because it's so dang good. Power Blade 2 is decent, but 1 is superior in every way.

shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #329 on: January 19, 2019, 12:20:04 PM »

I'm in the middle of Maniac Mansion. Currently waiting for the power to be turned back on.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length