RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:10:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 468964 times)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #585 on: March 04, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »

Started work on Swords and Serpents a little. Liking it so far. I got my butt kicked in but it was because I was being too careless by just trying to get a feel for the game. Played some Total Recall over the weekend didn't complete it though. I kinda enjoy the game for doing its best to stay true to the movie but at the same time leave room for fun. I will say that punching kinda sucks and requires good timing. It feels a little sluggish but I think it is something I need to get used to instead of something that is broken in the game.

@SilentScythe,  Same thing happened to me when I played it. Although, I got to the point where I could tell if it was a Bass by the silhouette under the water and the color. Some are harder to tell than others. I have found.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #586 on: March 04, 2019, 02:04:54 PM »

@crabmaster2000 you where right Snoopy was a fun game, never got the pizza down, but once I got the timing on the pole and pogo stick I was good. Just for fun I beat the Japanese version Donald Duck.  Ren and Stimpy is next for me.  [img width=700 height=340]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190304/8ad1ab5469d5006c3011fc6f349306e0.jpg[/img]
[img width=700 height=340]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190304/8942227da2f1301e1992564b4c55054e.jpg[/img]

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #587 on: March 04, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »

I totally forgot about this.  Someone else can go for 8 eyes.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #588 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »

Took down Empire Strikes Back tonight. The actual gameplay isn't too bad despite the difficulty. The sprite work is actually pretty good most of the time, but the sound is just some of the worst. Not quite 1942 level, but its closer to that bad than most other games I've played. And they are so ballsy that they think they can rewrite Empire Strikes Back??

Remember that scene when Luke wants to quit his Jedi training to go and save his friends and Yoda encourages him to?
[img width=640 height=479]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7927/47288929101_4f152ac835_z.jpg[/img]

Remember when Han gets frozen in carbonite and Luke immediately flies an X-Wing off of Cloud City to have a space battle against Boba Fett and frees Han negating the first third of Return of the Jedi?
[img width=640 height=479]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7912/40324351273_d46e4cb288_z.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=476]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7918/47236800192_5d6bbed6b0_z.jpg[/img]

Remember this iconic scene when Luke defeats Vader and he falls to an unknown outcome at the bottom of Cloud City?
[img width=640 height=479]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7819/40324349963_7095601dd8_z.jpg[/img]

I get taking creative license with the game to make it more fun to play, and they do do that like during the Hoth battle you take down 10 AT-ATs. There is a Tie Fighter battle before you enter Cloud City. There are multiple Wampas to battle. Dagobah has a whole bunch of different animals attacking you as obstacles. During a few parts of the game you get to commandeer an AT-ST and use it to take down tough enemies or traverse areas you can't go to on foot. That stuff is just fine, but the stuff I mentioned above is just too crazy of a departure for me.

Ending
[img width=640 height=478]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7823/47236696982_d1a205a39d_z.jpg[/img]

The sound effects would often change mid use and the music would cut out very frequently so you'd just be playing with your sporadic sound effects and no music. Even when the music did work it wasn't good. Here's an example of the same song from Star Wars and from Empire Strikes Back. They made changes to it in Star Wars to make it punchier and more fun to play to I think.

Star Wars:

Empire Strikes Back:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:05:37 AM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #589 on: March 05, 2019, 06:30:30 PM »

So..... It has been a while since I have been on the site. I have been working through Dragon Warrior 2 and I finally finished it today.......Like 15 minutes ago.
I am a big fan of the Dragon Quest games but this is the first time I completed this one, why I did not do it years ago, I'm not sure. I have owned the game in one form or
another but since my wife gave me this game on the NES I new I had to complete it, it was time and than this NES Challage was announced and it seemed to be the perfect time.
So, I have played from beginning to End, starting out enjoying the game and all it had to offer. From seeing all the enemies that I have seen in all the other games to following the trails to find my comrades that are on the same path that I am put on.
It was great fun.........until about 3/4 of the way into the game. I began to realize the grind in the game that is needed to finish the game. Then there is the enemies you face at the end, namely the Cave of Rhone and after. You can enter a fight at full health and Magic and a monster can simply use Defeat and kill your entire party. You soon realize if the game does not want you to win today, you will not win.

there are games that powering through is the only way to win, but everyone has a wall they can hit while playing a game and I hit that wall. I told myself that I would take a break for just a week....... that was 1 month ago. I wanted to play but at the same time would decide to play something else.

I did finally beat this game. I hate this game, I love this game. I may never play this game again but vary happy I have it in my collection.
I will say this....Dragon Warrior 2 was a great and rewarding experience (which you need alot of before the games end) if you can break through that wall.

Now that I have finished DW2 I hope I can claim Pinball Quest if it not completed yet.

* Dragon Warrior 2 Ending.jpg (1261.68 KB, 3023x2623 - viewed 197 times.)
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #590 on: March 05, 2019, 06:48:43 PM »

I started playing all the Dragon Quest games a while ago, I agree the instant kill magic can be frustrating.  But I got to, I think it was 6 where you get turned to stone, and need to find your spirit, i just got lost, and could not find what the game wanted me to do. So it I put that down and never picked it back up.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #591 on: March 06, 2019, 06:27:44 AM »

@Normatron - What an accomplishment man! I've always heard II was the the most challenging of the NES DW games. I'm so glad you were able to break past that sticking point and see it to the end. Really great job! That makes all 4 games in the series done now! Pinball Quest is still available and I've got your name on it whenever you're ready.

I beat Adventure Island 3 tonight. That was the last game in of that trilogy that I needed to finish. Not sure why it took me so long to get around to it. Very similar to AI II. These are not my favorite platformers so I'm kinda glad to be done with them.

[img width=640 height=478]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7864/40333435643_1ca85ec45f_z.jpg[/img]

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #592 on: March 06, 2019, 07:37:35 AM »

Thought I'd break down the list of licensed property games for this months single player goal into categories to hopefully give you guys some ideas of what each game is like and maybe which ones you want to try:

Licensed Game suggestions:

Easy to beat:
Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle - A little Janky, but very short
Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - If you liked the first one this is more of the same just slightly longer
Fisher Price I Can Remember - Piece of cake
Fisher Price Perfect Fit - You got this
Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak - mediocre platformer. Last stage make take a few tries, but quite simple otherwise
Home Alone 2 - short straightforward platformer
Hudson Hawk - short puzzle platformer
Incredible Crash Test Dummies - unusual controls because you have a wheel for feet. Not to hard once you get the hang of moving around
Peter Pan & the Pirates - not a great game, but a short and easy platformer
Puss n Boots: Pero's Great Adventure - maybe the easiest platformer on the system?
Super Jeopardy! - just gotta remember your 80s trivia!
Widget - decent cartoony mascot platformer

Short, but challenging:
Back to the Future - getting your car up to speed at the end can be frustrating. Otherwise not too bad
Batman Returns - pretty good Konami beat em up. Game is stingy with lives though so use whatever cheap tactics you can to conserve them
Blues Brothers - extremely short platformer, but fairly unforgiving difficulty and slippery controls
Bram Stokers Dracula - action platformer with some minor exploration
Captain America and the Avengers - Some trial and error will be required to figure out the best levels to use Captain America or Hawkeye on. Once you figure that out it should come together
Darkman - pretty short, but extremely slippery controls and a constant timer gauge to keep an eye on
Ghostbusters - very short and mostly easy except for the infamous staircase. There is a well known glitch that can help you out with that section though
Ghostbusters II - forget everything you know about action platformers!! Left is Right and A is B in this one!
Gremlins 2 - Tough top down platformer and a few challenging bosses
Home Alone - Super short, but will take some time to find a rhythm to lose the criminals as well as the patience to keep it up for 20 minutes
Little Nemo the Dream Master - Last game levels ramp up the difficulty. Very fun though
Platoon - Probably the shortest game on this entire list. First stage is a confusing maze. Use a guide to reduce the play time and it's not too bad.
Robocop 2 - Much like Darkman this one has extremely awkward controls that make it tough
Robocop 3 - Also very short, but some very hard bosses, particularly the final fight. Body parts take damage as you progress through the game so you'll have to prioritize where to repair damage which makes the late game even tougher
Rocketeer - Nothing too crazy, just lots of different styles of game to get good at
Simpsons: Bartman Meets Radioactive Man, The - slippery controls
Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants, The - slippery controls and obscure puzzles
Simpsons: Bart vs. the World, The - slippery controls
Spider-Man: Return of the Sinister Six - just straight up hard beat em up style game, with few lives
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - take advantage of swapping turtles and respawning pizzas if needed
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters - Find you're favorite move to spam to victory and it's very short
Terminator 2 - platforming and beat em up parts are not too bad. Confusing building maps can be challenging
Tiny Toons 2 - several styles of game to get good at
Tom & Jerry - action platformer with some hard bosses. No time limit so you can farm 1ups via score if needed
T&C Surf Design II: Thrilla's Surfari - awkward controlling game, but very short. Early game warp can skip a couple stages though
Untouchables - The cursor moving shooting sections can be challenging due to slow cursor movement
Wolverine - just pretend you are not wolverine and run and jump past most enemies and obstacles instead of fighting them and this games will be over in no time
Yo! Noid - unforgiving hit detection and few lives

Interesting and unique:

AD&D Dragonstrike - a shmup with an open map and story elements? pretty cool game with some deadly boss fights. Has a password save after each level though
Conan Mysteries of Time - definitely use a guide for this one. pretty easy to beat if you can solve all of the obtuse puzzles in the game
Die Hard - very open in terms of where you can go and what you can do top down shooter (like gta 1/2) several time bases events depending on your decisions and location. Quite and interesting game

Wanna take one for the team?(These are not good games and also very challenging, these are the types of games I'm worried about us beating at all):

Back to the Future II & III - Even with a guide this game is an absolute nightmare to navigate. The different areas combined with different times you can travel too combined with puzzle elements that use time and location make this game one of the least fun to play.
Bill & Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure - Kind of like Back to the Future II & III, but not nearly that bad. This one is more doable with a guide, just slow and not much fun.
Days of Thunder - super boring racing combined with a pit stop that is crazy hard to control
Dirty Harry - The first stage is a doozy of a maze and will take up 90% of your playtime. If you can get past stage 1 it's fairly smooth sailing thouhg
Highspeed - The in game highscore for this table is massive and pretty hard to overcome. Also they have monsters that attack your ball while you're playing that can disrupt your flow
Krusty's Funhouse - Very challenging puzzle game even with a walkthrough as some of the puzzles take some precise timing and movements
Mad Max - just a general slog with poor controls
Mission Impossible - last stages live up to their name. This game is just super tough!  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:42:31 AM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #593 on: March 06, 2019, 10:54:22 AM »

@crabby, Awesome breakdown of these games. Will definitely help me inform my next decision. Thanks for doing this.

Duke0619
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #594 on: March 06, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »

I would like to take Commando if that’s ok
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #595 on: March 06, 2019, 06:44:56 PM »

@crabby, Awesome breakdown of these games. Will definitely help me inform my next decision. Thanks for doing this.

No problem. Let me know if you need me to elaborate on any of those titles as I've beaten nearly all of them in the past.

I would like to take Commando if that’s ok

That would be awesome!! Go for it!

Duke0619
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #596 on: March 06, 2019, 09:35:39 PM »

Awesome. I’m on it.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #597 on: March 07, 2019, 07:31:15 AM »

Was able to beat Defenders of Dynatron City tonight. Another feel good game for me as I tried and failed to beat this a few years back. It's a very cool concept, but doesn't come together very well. You have a city to defend that you can progress through however you like, lots of building to explore for items and power ups. You start with 4 very unique characters and you can swap out a least 2 more that I found. They all play extremely differently and some where more useful in certain situations than others so I had to use all 4 of my characters throughout the game. It's got some pretty bad hit detection and the music is awful. The 4th area has you fighting robot versions of some of your team which isn't too bad, but there are these toxic bubbles floating around that just eat up your health. All of my failed runs ended right there. Once I got past that spot the final boss wasn't hard at all.

I'm gonna claim one of the games off of my "take one for the team" list and try to beat Mad Max this month.

[img width=640 height=478]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7895/47255838322_9f16a65b83_z.jpg[/img]

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #598 on: March 07, 2019, 10:21:51 AM »

Well that was super refreshing to play. Great fun in this game! the standard pinball tables are a little boring but where this game shines is the RPG mode. vary basic story for the game....you are a pinball and you have to save the princess. going back and forth between the stages can be tedious but once you get the gold to buy the permastop and the strong flipper it gets a bit easier.

The only thing im bummed about is I thought it would take me longer. this is a really fun game!

* Pinball quest ending.jpg (2550.23 KB, 4032x2780 - viewed 245 times.)
Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #599 on: March 07, 2019, 10:26:23 AM »

If I can im going to claim the guardian Legend
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length