RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:19:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465701 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1020 on: August 05, 2019, 10:39:00 PM »

Bad Dudes is a game where you try your best to keep up your health until you can get to the boss of each stage and mop the floor with them.

Ehh.  I will do Burgertime next I think, but tomorrow.  Too tired now.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1021 on: August 07, 2019, 06:52:35 AM »

Back after my latest shot hiatus with another double header. Beat Isolated Warrior and Klashball tonight!

Isolated Warrior was pretty a pretty decent auto-scroller shmupish kinda game. Got to what I thought was the end and........ got a message to beat it without a continue if I wanted to actually beat it. I probably used 7 or 8 continues so that seemed like it might be a steep ask. But all that learning the first time through was apparently enough since I did a no death run on my next attempt including the newly introduced final stage and boss! Felt really good.

Klashball was ok, but nothing special. it was kind of like pong/soccer. You can earn coins in between games to spend to upgrade your team for the next match of even buy more time in the previous match if you want to try and do better. You can even buy a goal before you even start the match which seemed pretty cheap. Had a couple losses in my league, but still ended up at rank 2 which gave me access to the Power Bowl!!! Which was just two more games of the same thing and you could even use your coins from the league to better your odds. Might be a fun two player head to head game.

That puts me at 54 games in 45 days now.

Love to see the progress while I was away from everyone and happy to have you back Boshamp!!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1022 on: August 07, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »

Don't know if we officially decided on this or not, but months ago Nupoile gave me permission to take over Metroid from him anyway so here's Metroid. Beat it twice so far this year.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1023 on: August 08, 2019, 07:07:05 AM »

Don't know if we officially decided on this or not, but months ago Nupoile gave me permission to take over Metroid from him anyway so here's Metroid. Beat it twice so far this year.

Sounds good to me!

I beat another one tonight also with Stanley: The Search for Dr. Livingston.

It was kind of like Dr. Chaos where they had a neat concept, but just ended up making it pretty boring and tedious. Very simple action platformer with a bit of exploration. Nothing too memorable about it.

That puts me at 55 games in 46 days now.

Looks like I messed up again and played a game that shane had beaten just a couple weeks ago. I have to pick my games more carefully.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:10:44 AM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1024 on: August 09, 2019, 05:02:13 AM »

It was kind of like Dr. Chaos where they had a neat concept, but just ended up making it pretty boring and tedious. Very simple action platformer with a bit of exploration. Nothing too memorable about it.

Yeah, it was a pretty boring game. There's a lot of screens that are reused, and because the temple keys can be used interchangeably I had to backtrack halfway through the map to find one I missed toward the end of the game. Not one I'd play again.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1025 on: August 09, 2019, 07:05:41 AM »

Yeah, it was a pretty boring game. There's a lot of screens that are reused, and because the temple keys can be used interchangeably I had to backtrack halfway through the map to find one I missed toward the end of the game. Not one I'd play again.

Yeah I had to backtrack for temple keys a couple times too.

Beat Terminator tonight. Was a really unforgiving game, but thankfully pretty short. After several failed attempts I found a spot to farm some lives and ended up using half of my play time on my final run in the same spot shooting Terminators for the points until I maxed out my 6 lives. Bad jumping, bad shooting, no idea how they assign damage (same enemy would sometimes do no damage, a little bit or half my health hitting me with the same move) and a few very bad vehicle sections.

Also started up Prince of Persia. Interesting game so far, but the combat is horrendous! I'm on stage 3 currently so hope to keep progressing on that one over the next few days.

That puts me to 55 games in 47 days now.

Normatron
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #1026 on: August 09, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »

Sorry I have not been able to get to playing much but I'm still planning on finishing zodas revenge. Hoping that my life will get balanced out in the next 2 weeks.
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1027 on: August 09, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »

Just started the long task of getting through Bases Loaded II, so I'd like to make it a claim. If someone else really wants to do it, or has already been working on it, I'm fine with relinquishing it before I start getting deep into it, but I know it's going to take me a long time (probably a few months) to finish. 4 wins down, 71 to go.
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1028 on: August 09, 2019, 04:03:57 PM »

Just started the long task of getting through Bases Loaded II, so I'd like to make it a claim. If someone else really wants to do it, or has already been working on it, I'm fine with relinquishing it before I start getting deep into it, but I know it's going to take me a long time (probably a few months) to finish. 4 wins down, 71 to go.

This makes me think, how many games on the list are there that do take a really long time to tackle? We don’t want to get really close to the end of the year and realise someone still needs to put 100 hours into miracle piano
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1029 on: August 09, 2019, 05:59:24 PM »

This makes me think, how many games on the list are there that do take a really long time to tackle? We don’t want to get really close to the end of the year and realise someone still needs to put 100 hours into miracle piano

There are a bunch of ten hour-plus games (if my memory serves me) but not a ton.  Might & Magic might be the longest of what is left (30 hours?), followed closely by the Bases Loaded games and the Koei games..  Many of what remains would normally be serious time sinks (like Legacy of the Wizard) but are very doable with guides/maps.  Not terrible.  Some need a serious ninja to take down though, like Ikari Warriors.

- Han Solo
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1030 on: August 09, 2019, 06:30:20 PM »

Crabby will take down any truly difficult games :-)
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1031 on: August 10, 2019, 04:36:58 AM »

There are a bunch of ten hour-plus games (if my memory serves me) but not a ton.  Might & Magic might be the longest of what is left (30 hours?), followed closely by the Bases Loaded games and the Koei games..  Many of what remains would normally be serious time sinks (like Legacy of the Wizard) but are very doable with guides/maps.  Not terrible.  Some need a serious ninja to take down though, like Ikari Warriors.

There's a lot of war strategy games, which each take 4-6 hours if you know exactly what to do. Those are going to be the bottleneck. I tried one for a bit and had no idea what I was doing even after reading the instructions and a strategy guide.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1032 on: August 10, 2019, 07:49:17 AM »

Burgertime is done.  Sooo much harder than I thought it would be.  I'm actually pretty terrible at pre-1985 arcade games in general, where it really helps to strategically move around the level so to herd enemies in specific places.  It doesn't help that this isn't the best port of the game, and it can genuinely be difficult at times to tell if you are on a platform or not.

I guess I will do AD&D - Dragonstrike.

- Han Solo
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1033 on: August 10, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »

Think I’m going to claim Die Hard.

Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1034 on: August 10, 2019, 12:33:38 PM »

@EZ Racer - glad someone is picking up a Bases Loaded game. Those may very well be the most time consuming games left to beat, beyond most RPGs for sure.

@bombatomba - I agree that the NES version isn't a great port of Burgertime. I also remember having issues getting off ladders onto platforms when you weren't perfectly lined up. Hope you like Dragonstrike, I really enjoy that game. Very unique shooter with a few really good songs in it.

To address concerns about the length and difficulty of the remaining titles: I'm hoping by the end of the month to take our remaining list to beat and add more info to each title we have left. Each title will have an estimated time to complete, the genre, and select titles will be marked if they are known to have extreme difficulty.

Once I'm done my 100 day challenge I plan to stick pretty much to strategy, RPG and crazy hard games for the rest of the year myself.

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length