RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:26:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | RFGen 2019 NES Challenge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: RFGen 2019 NES Challenge  (Read 465470 times)
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1125 on: September 25, 2019, 09:25:34 AM »

Any thought on next year?  I think we should tackle another system next year!

One thing to keep in mind is that most games on later systems become deeper and longer experiences than those on the NES, which has a vast library of games that can be beaten in a single sitting.  That said, I'd love to have an excuse to go through my SNES games hardcore.
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1126 on: September 25, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »

One thing to keep in mind is that most games on later systems become deeper and longer experiences than those on the NES, which has a vast library of games that can be beaten in a single sitting.  That said, I'd love to have an excuse to go through my SNES games hardcore.

The thing is though there’s about 600 or so SNES games and only 300 roughly N64.

I also find the n64/ps1 era is where games take a big change. Talking on average, games before n64 tend to be fairly short in reality. However they tend to require a lot of attempts for most players to be good enough to beat, if you ever get good enough.
N64 onwards the balance shifts. The game becomes longer but you only tend to do stuff once. It’s pretty easy to complete most games from that point onwards and it’s just about experiencing the story. Because of this we may get more casual players joining in.

But as Crabby said it may be a little premature to be thinking about next year
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1127 on: September 25, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »

I definitely meant retro system.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1128 on: September 25, 2019, 12:49:56 PM »

I was thinking about this. Though I don’t want to step on Crabby’s toes if he already has plans, I was wondering if a vote for the next console would be in order.

Perhaps SNES would make the most sense, and N64 in 2021. But my vote for next year would be N64. I have much more connection with the console, completing all the games would be easier than snes, and I hope to complete all the n64 games myself someday so a year focusing on them would help.

We don't have to cap it at one year.  It could be casual and ongoing until completed.

SMS set complete!
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1129 on: September 25, 2019, 01:16:43 PM »

I’m all for continuing the current NES challenge into 2020 in the unlikely event we don’t complete it this year.

However I do think these challenges need the 1 year goal at the start to add some sort of sense of urgency.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1130 on: September 25, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »

I’m all for continuing the current NES challenge into 2020 in the unlikely event we don’t complete it this year.

However I do think these challenges need the 1 year goal at the start to add some sort of sense of urgency.

That's my thought as well. I also feel like maybe our community is too small to split between two challenges simultaneously.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1131 on: September 25, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »

That's my thought as well. I also feel like maybe our community is too small to split between two challenges simultaneously.

I don’t think we should do more then one at a time. Wait until we finish the current one. I think we’re looking good with the NES challenge, though.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1132 on: September 25, 2019, 04:43:27 PM »

I’ll do roundball.

SMS set complete!
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1133 on: September 26, 2019, 06:08:46 AM »

Home Alone 2 complete.

Not a particularly good game. Though it is functional and I guess doesn’t control too bad.

It is one hell of an ugly game. The spritework is awful. Especially since it’s so late into the NES lifespan. Here’s the amazing sprite of the main character:
Spoiler (hover to show)
And their attempt at digitising a photo:
Spoiler (hover to show)

I’m not sure how well it follows the film as it’s not a film I’m too familiar with. Something to doing with a little boy, played by Donald Trump, who’s parents don’t love him and try to abandon him. I’m pretty sure the film doesn’t have killer blood covered mops and, even worse, grannies who jump in the air with their legs spread wide to land on little Kevin’s head.

It’s not too difficult a game. It’s only about 20mins long, half of which is level 1. Patterns are easy enough to learn. You do have a very limited amount of lives and no continues though with no options I found for harvesting. So that adds some challenge. But if you want to knock out an easy game this could be one to go for.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:12:22 AM by Schlibby » Logged
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1134 on: September 26, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »

Awesome schlibby! Yeah it's definitely an ugly game. Other than taking place in a hotel I don't think it really cares about following the source material too closely.

Sorry I havn't been too active lately. Was applying for a new job and had an interview yesterday so I've been doing some research and prep work the past several days to make sure I did well in the interview. Also have a couple other games I've been playing for review purposes so that's put me a bit behind. Have a big review coming up this following week that's gonna slow me down pretty good, but should be able to come back hard starting in October. I'm nearing 500 games beaten on my personal list so I'm going to make an effort to smash out a few quicker titles to get to 499 then the plan is to only pick from the hardest and longest games on the list to help cross off some titles that are likely the lowest on everyone's priorities.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1135 on: September 26, 2019, 08:52:39 AM »

Awesome schlibby! Yeah it's definitely an ugly game. Other than taking place in a hotel I don't think it really cares about following the source material too closely.

Sorry I havn't been too active lately. Was applying for a new job and had an interview yesterday so I've been doing some research and prep work the past several days to make sure I did well in the interview. Also have a couple other games I've been playing for review purposes so that's put me a bit behind. Have a big review coming up this following week that's gonna slow me down pretty good, but should be able to come back hard starting in October. I'm nearing 500 games beaten on my personal list so I'm going to make an effort to smash out a few quicker titles to get to 499 then the plan is to only pick from the hardest and longest games on the list to help cross off some titles that are likely the lowest on everyone's priorities.

Good luck with getting the job!

BTW, you missed Shaggy's completion of Lolo 2 yesterday
Misto
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #1136 on: September 26, 2019, 06:07:56 PM »

I've been quiet lately, but I'm almost wrapped up with world 7 of Fire N' Ice.  Hopefully I'll have it done this weekend sometime.
shane
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1137 on: September 27, 2019, 04:47:08 PM »

I'm nearly done with Battletoads. The race to the bottom to defuse the bombs is killing me.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1138 on: September 28, 2019, 07:50:40 AM »

I'm nearly done with Battletoads. The race to the bottom to defuse the bombs is killing me.

That level and the surfing level were the two spots that took me the longest to get comfortable with.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1139 on: September 28, 2019, 07:56:57 AM »

I’ll do roundball.

The original list isn't updated.  I'm doing Roundball and it sucks.

SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length