RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:45:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | March 2019 Shmup Club - Crimzon Clover 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: March 2019 Shmup Club - Crimzon Clover  (Read 25783 times)
coin_tengoku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2019, 06:24:39 AM »

What’s up @Mark_MSX. I just got through reading your post on electricunderground and I like some of the points you make about dev guides. It took me several days to figure out how to score points in crimzon. I actually ended up using a super play guide. I posted it this week on this thread. Feel free to check it out. Thanks for all you and MetalFRO and Addicted have done for shmup podcasts.  I really enjoy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The overwhelming trait of a leader is identifying pathways over, around, through and under all barriers presented.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »

What's up my dudes? :-D Just got my 2-All in ZeroRanger and I'm ready to play some Crimson Clover! I'll play both novice and arcade, as those seem like the two most popular modes. This should be a ton of fun!

Welcome aboard, dude!

@coin_tengoku - thanks so much for the kind words! Glad you're enjoying the podcast, and know that your contributions for this month will definitely be included in the next episode Cheesy

Also, this happened last night...

I managed to clear Novice/Original with 328+ billion points! Not the best high score, and I was down to my last life, but I still managed to pull it off. Very pleased with the result, all the same!

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2019, 10:18:02 AM »

@Mark_MSX: Hi Mark^^

Just got my 2-All in ZeroRanger

Wow! Great job, congrats on that! I played Zero Ranger a few weeks ago in Jan/Feb, but 1-4 was as far as i could get. I credit-feeded the rest of the game to see as much as possible and it has a lot to offer to the player. I didn't get the true ending, because i failed at the hidden final mission (or whatever you wanna call it) and had to start all over. I think it's pretty tough, but it's a brilliant game and can be really rewarding (and surprising) too. Smiley

I also wanna pick up coin tengokus words. I just listened to the Ketsui DeathTiny Episode of your podcast and really liked it, i'll listen to some other episodes soon.
It's always informative for me as a newer player to listen to STG-themed podcasts and learn about tricks and strategies. You guys (including MetalFro and Addicted) are doing an awesome job with this!

As i said i uploaded a replay of my yesterdays run, if someone wants to watch.

https://youtu.be/ncBcL0wTWro

Tips and advice appreciated. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:09:54 AM by zoydo » Logged

TOB
coin_tengoku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2019, 12:14:30 PM »

Hey guys new tip I learned from watching some videos. If you have the type Z ship you can put a type 1 skin on it by holding the break button while selecting the Z ship.

The overwhelming trait of a leader is identifying pathways over, around, through and under all barriers presented.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 02:20:26 PM »

Hey guys new tip I learned from watching some videos. If you have the type Z ship you can put a type 1 skin on it by holding the break button while selecting the Z ship.

That's an interesting little trick! I'll have to mess with that, and give it a try Cheesy

@zoydo - One thing I would say is to remind you that your ship will attract stars while you have the lock-on button held down. I noticed during this last run you posted (awesome job, by the way!), that there were a lot of instances where you had the lock-on disengaged, and were mowing down enemies with the wide shot, but were letting a lot of stars pass you by. If you occasionally trigger the lock-on for a brief moment, you can take in more stars, and just engage that every so often, so you're not losing as many of them.

coin_tengoku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 04:04:25 PM »

@MetalFRO

I got to watch your stream from 17 hours ago and started laughing so hard when you said “man...IIINnntense”.
Congrats on the clear bro!!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 05:04:51 PM »

@MetalFRO

I got to watch your stream from 17 hours ago and started laughing so hard when you said “man...IIINnntense”.
Congrats on the clear bro!!

LOL, thanks!

coin_tengoku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 08:02:49 PM »

I’m pretty happy so far. I think I’ve really got a good grasp on scoring system. Just need some tweaking. I have learned that you need to break then lock onto at least a large amount of popcorn, destroy those and then score points. Then lock onto more...destroy and double break and keep that multiplier counter going. Some runs I have seen show that you can get over 100 billion in the first level in novice mode if you strategize the breaks. Level three is where it gets tough as nails for me. But here is where I’m at.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »

@zoydo - One thing I would say is to remind you that your ship will attract stars while you have the lock-on button held down. I noticed during this last run you posted (awesome job, by the way!), that there were a lot of instances where you had the lock-on disengaged, and were mowing down enemies with the wide shot, but were letting a lot of stars pass you by. If you occasionally trigger the lock-on for a brief moment, you can take in more stars, and just engage that every so often, so you're not losing as many of them.

Thank you for reminding me, you're totally right! I often lose stars, were it would be easy to collect them while holding the lock on - button. Sometimes i'm just to focused on dodging, or distracted by all the things going on, so i miss the obvious...
But i tried working on that and also on optimising my scoring a little bit.

Here's my update from last weekend:

I finally beat my Arcade/Original score yesterday. I didn't beat the Stage 3 Boss, like last time, but i could improve my scoring a little bit.

I also played some Time Attack yesterday, did beat my former scores and got a B-Rank.

On friday i played some Boost and could beat both my Novice and Arcade scores.

TOB
coin_tengoku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »

Whoah! Congrats @zoydo. Your putting up some tough scores bro.

coin_tengoku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 01:54:49 PM »

Crimzon Clover made the top 5 best shmup list of all time...here is the posted final results of that poll from shmups.system11 forums.

https://shmups.system11.o...topic.php?f=1&t=64197

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »

Whoah! Congrats @zoydo. Your putting up some tough scores bro.

@coin_tengoku: thanks! You're doing some good progress too! I really like how you and MetalFRO got into learning the scoring mechanics from the very beginning. Maybe i was focusing a little too much on surviving and on playing all the modes with all of the ships.

Crimzon Clover made the top 5 best shmup list of all time...here is the posted final results of that poll from shmups.system11 forums.

I came across the list too and was glad too see Zero Ranger on it already!
CC's spot on top of this list is also well-deserved. I'd consider it as one of my Top 5 stg's i played, as well (maybe even Top 3).

I had a really nice run yesterday and managed to achieve my goal to break the 200,000,000,000 - mark

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:03:54 PM by zoydo » Logged

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 08:21:30 AM »

I saw that about CC in the top 5. I'm a little conflicted about that. I feel like it's a bit too new of a game to hold that spot, but at the same time, it's been out for 8 years, so it may well have earned its spot. I'm really enjoying the game, but I'm not familiar enough with the other top 5 entries to be as objective about it. Having said that, it's quite an achievement, and something we'll definitely need to bring up on the podcast.

I've been struggling with Arcade difficulty, but have managed to eek out a little progress. I'm able to reach Stage 3, on a good run, though last night I was having trouble sometimes even getting to the boss in Stage 2, because I'm not yet consistently routing that level. Despite that, I managed to get reasonably far in 3 last night a couple times, and hit my highest score in Arcade/Original so far:

I'd really like to see the end of Stage 3, though I'm a little afraid of what the boss is going to throw at me. I struggled the most with the Stage 3 boss in Novice, so I'm not sure what awaits me when I finally get there in Arcade.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 11:51:37 PM »

@MetalFro: nice, congrats for passing the 100,000,000,000 pts.! Smiley

I feel al little bit stuck at the moment. I couldn't beat the Stage 3 - Boss for a few days now.
Yesterday i was really close, but failed again. At least i did some slight progress with my scoring.

TOB
Mark_MSX
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »

Here's my Arcade Original Score, barely got through the 3rd boss. That fight is brutal.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length