RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:56:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2019 Shmup Club - Blazing Lazers aka GunHed 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: August 2019 Shmup Club - Blazing Lazers aka GunHed  (Read 19360 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: July 10, 2019, 08:21:12 AM »

1989 was an important year for the shoot-em-up genre. Not only did arcade technology continue to advance, but many important games were released that year. From Area 88 to Cotton, to sequels like Gradius III, Darius II, and R-Type II, lots of quality shooters released during that time. 1989 also marked the North American release of both the Sega Genesis, and TurgoGrafx-16 consoles. While the former eventually saw healthy success in the West, the latter, unfortunately, never quite took off. Despite its Japanese counterpart, known as the PC Engine, which experienced major popularity and sales in its home country, the Turbo line of consoles barely made a dent elsewhere.

However, there are a handful of TurboGrafx games that are held in high regard, and remembered fondly by enthusiasts, and by people who discovered the system posthumously through collecting, emulation, or services like the Wii Virtual Console. Among those is Blazing Lazers, known in Japan as GunHed. The original Japanese version was based on the film of the same name, though references to the film were removed for the North American version. Although not part of the TurboGrafx 16's August 1989 launch line-up, Blazing Lazers was out by November, and has since become one of the more recognized shmups in the TurboGrafx library. The game was co-developed by Hudson and Compile, and you can definitely see connections to both Hudson's Star Soldier series of games, as well as similarities with Compile's Zanac and Aleste series. Since its release, it has also seen a digital reissue on both the Wii Virtual Console and PSN systems, though both are now unavailable; however, it's still available on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in August 2019, and celebrate this classic shooter, 30 years after the launch of the TurboGrafx, and nearly 30 years after its North American release, as we play Blazing Lazers, and its Japanese counterpart, GunHed!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
Crabmaster2000
Duke.Togo
zoydo
coin_tengoku
Douglie007
dtungsten

High Scores:
1. MetalFRO: 13,11,180
2. zoydo: 4,477,950
3. Duke.Togo: 3,031,470
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:27:38 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:15:49 AM »

Yes please

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 11:34:24 AM »

Wish I had a way to participate, but I'll have to wait till March (TG16 mini) to dive into this one.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 12:53:51 PM »

Wish I had a way to participate, but I'll have to wait till March (TG16 mini) to dive into this one.

If you have a Wii U, it's on the e-shop. If not, maybe you can enjoy a few streams Cheesy

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 02:50:49 AM »

I'm in. Smiley

TOB
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 07:20:57 PM »

I got to Stage 9 and died in the Boss Rush. It was pretty hard trying to get through that part for me, and I blew through a lot of lives. If I had some bombs left after State 8, it would have helped. I'll try to conserve them more next time.

I tend to stick with weapon 3 and the shield, and occasionally switching to the Firepower with weapon 3 for the homing shot.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 10:48:03 PM »

Lost my weapon during the boss rush in Stage 9 and couldn't recover.
I'm still experimenting on my weapon strategy. Weapon III with missiles or pods works good, but my weapon of choice so far is I with missiles.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 11:00:02 PM by zoydo » Logged

TOB
zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 10:39:20 PM »

Same story. Good run until the boss rush (St. 9) and died shortly after the stage 1 - boss. It's nearly impossible to recover from this checkpoint.

Also struggled a bit in Stage 5. Maybe i need to change weapons for that, to take out the pyramids more quickly.

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 08:18:41 AM »

The pyramids and Moai heads in 5 will definitely give you trouble, if you're not powered up enough, or prepared for them. That's where my runs have ended thus far, but I've only had time to do a small handful of plays. Hoping to jump back in this evening, and stream some more.

coin_tengoku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 10:27:54 PM »

Grin I'm playing

The overwhelming trait of a leader is identifying pathways over, around, through and under all barriers presented.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 10:34:55 PM »

Haha, welcome coin_tengoku!

I managed to get past Stage 5, and made it to 7, before getting eradicated.

* Blazing Lazers high score 1.jpg (785.06 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 563 times.)

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 07:11:12 AM »

I just got a led screen on my Express.  I might join in and see what I can do with this fine game.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »

I just did another run and it ended at the exact same spot in Stage 9 as the last two runs. No new score though.

TOB
coin_tengoku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 06:34:00 PM »

Read some of the manual today. Tidbit of info ... did you know the GunHed weighs in at 80 tons!  Man it moves quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The overwhelming trait of a leader is identifying pathways over, around, through and under all barriers presented.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length