RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:25:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | February 2020 Playthrough - South Park: The Stick of Truth 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: February 2020 Playthrough - South Park: The Stick of Truth  (Read 13115 times)
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 12:35:35 PM »

I'm in!  Started this years ago, really enjoyed it just never finished,  I'd like to give it another go

Degenx
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 09:06:37 PM »

I just bought a used copy of South Park The Fractured But Whole and in it was an unused code for The Stick of Truth on Xbox One. So I think it's destiny that I should join in on this playthrough!
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 09:18:04 PM »

Just installed my ps4 version. Going to start tomorrow.[img width=209 height=241]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200202/81103cbf85356bd287beb4530430ebc6.jpg[/img]

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »

Do we have check points.. I just got out of the alien ship.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 11:57:59 AM »

Do we have check points.. I just got out of the alien ship.

No, just play at your own speed.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 12:04:20 PM »

Sounds good. So do you have a choice not to join Kyle, or is it a set story?

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 03:11:29 AM »

Well, it helps when you are sick at home, and your car dies on your days off.... I finished it last night.  It was a fun game, but not easy to play around the kids, you know explaining what an abortion is and why a kids is doing it to a man.  I missed 3 chimpokomon, and only found 93 friends.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 10:17:46 AM »

I thought I had a copy of this game but now I remember that I had borrowed it from a friend.  No worries, picked it up and started yesterday.  Not sure what the spoiler rules are so I will be careful.

New Kid
Creating your own South Park character is a really cool experience.  There were enough customization options for me to make a good likeness of myself and Its just flat out cool to see yourself dropped into the world of South Park.  from very early in the game its clear that you are a silent protagonist and that point is hammered home with a very funny line that your dad delivers to you when you leave the house for the first time.

Finding new friends
The way you stumble on the kids in your new town playing "Lord of the Rings" is pretty great, also making fun of some common video game tropes when you enter what you want your name to be and then confirming "are you sure?" was pretty great.  My wife was in the room when I was playing for a bit and she is not the biggest SP fan but she lol'd more than a few times.

Choosing a Class
I won't ruin the joke but its really funny and I went with that last option.  I think I did the warrior on my first playthrough so I thought I'd mix it up.  I will say I popped onto the internet to see the abilities that each class would be able to unlock.

Exploration and Puzzle Solving
Even just an hour or 2 in, my quest log is starting to fill up.  Some quests are simple and straight forward and it seems like others will be in the log for a while.  I've already solved some minor puzzles through exploration and trial and error while I am following the main storyline.

Like I said, I've played the game before, though I didnt finish it, What I forgot was just how great it is to be completely immersed in the world of South Park.  There are TONS of references to random characters, songs, and plot lines from the show and I even picked up a SUPER Obscure reference to Matt and Trey's College film Cannibal the Musical.  Very happy to be givng this game another go.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2020, 07:19:37 PM »

The game is funny but the beginning has been slow for me.  I'm exploring the whole town before "starting" the game and the town is pretty big.  This is making it slooooow for me.  I'm assuming it will pick up once I start actually playing the story.  So far I've picked up three of the trophies on the PS4.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2020, 11:37:44 AM »

not easy to play around the kids, you know explaining what an abortion is and why a kids is doing it to a man.

I'm dying laughing at this, Doug. Speaking of that section, BOY does the game take a nosedive at that point, or at least it did for me. I had a really hard time with the three minigames at that part. I read tons of message boards and was *this* close to rage quitting the game forever when I finally got it.

Hoping I can get back to enjoying the game, which I really was up until that point, but that was awful. The only thing more offensive than the subject matter in that section was the gameplay.

Anyway, I really dig the customization options on all the weapons and armor. Pretty standard Obsidian stuff there, but I enjoy tinkering and piling on the status effects when a weapon comes with one and you can add two more, so right now I have a dagger that causing bleeding, gross out, and fire and it's pretty gangster. The game does constantly throw new equipment at you though, so I'm always tinkering and removing and applying the weapon add-ons depending on what new thing I just got.

Taking a few minutes to take a break from the game and type this out has calmed me down a bit. Going back in and hoping for more smooth sailing, but GOD DANG did they screw up that minigame section.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 08:05:14 PM »

Meanwhile I finally started playing Fractured But Whole and I can't stop hunting down Craig and Tweek pictures and new toilets to poop in.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Mr_Stubbes
SNES
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »

I've been dragging my feet on this one. I've only played about 30 mins or so, and I really am enjoying the game. I just need to set some time aside to play more...

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2020, 04:59:47 PM »

I've made my way to the top of Craig's tower and am now on an adventure with Mr. Slave.

If you aren't there yet, for a little fun, before you start, try to walk out the door to find some items first...

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
zophar53
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 10:37:49 PM »

This game is just as fun for me as it was the first time I played it. First playthrough was on PS3 so now I'm going through it on Xbox One. I do like the customization options with your character and abilities, but it gets a bit tedious after a while sorting through all your badges and buffs trying to min/max all my stuff.

I do think one's enjoyment of this game is pretty dependent on their enjoyment of the show. There's a lot of people I know who fell off the show a long time ago, but I still think it can be really funny and topical when it tries. It's pretty obvious that Matt and Trey are gamers because all the poking fun at game tropes is well done.

I agree that the game is slow going at first, esp if you don't stick to the story. Once your quest list builds up it makes things more fun and interesting. At some point though this game feels to me like a bit of a South Park reference checklist, especially with the fact that some characters are reduced to cameos. Crab people, for instance, don't even have anything to do with the game, they're just hanging out in the background at one point.

I don't remember the minigame gimmick some have mentioned and I'm not there yet in this playthrough, but I'm sure it'll come back to me when I get there. I'm curious to hear what people think of the Canada level. One of the best parts of the game in my opinion, but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't gotten there yet.

Anyone fight Al Gore yet? For me this was the hardest boss battle in the entire game. He's an amusing character, but the side quest was pretty meh, and the boss battle was def the most frustrating part for me.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 11:25:38 AM »

I finished this last night. Holy crap, what a fantastic game! I'm super stoked to play Fractured But Whole now!

I didn't do a lot of customization after the fact, but even though I haven't watched the show in years, I recognized basically every character I ran across. There are a couple of small mini games, but I feel like they are more poking fun at other genres rather than being a serious addition to the story.

Al Gore I had trouble finding all of the locations at first, but then finally made my way through. I highly recommend using Speed items to get the double attacks in.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length