RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:02:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | March 2020 Shmup Club - Gaiares 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: March 2020 Shmup Club - Gaiares  (Read 22001 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: February 07, 2020, 05:42:14 PM »

When it comes to shooting games on the Sega Genesis, one company that comes to mind in the West is Renovation. They published several games in the genre, such as Arrow Flash and Whip Rush on the Genesis, and Sol-Deace on the Sega CD. As the North American arm of Telenet Japan, they brought a number of games to the Western audience, from a variety of genres, and shooters were well represented in that category. What might not be as well known, however, is that, of all the shoot-em-up games they published, only one of them was their own creation. That honor went to their flagship shooting game, Gaiares. Gaiares is perhaps as famous for its ad campaign in North American game magazines and comic books, as it is for its gameplay, since Renovation heavily saturated publications with ads, which featured professional gamer Jamie Bunker, touting the game's perfect score in GamePro magazine.

In the year 3000, Earth has become a toxic dump ravaged by careless humans, leaving an uninhabitable, polluted wasteland. The space pirates Gulfer, led by the evil Queen ZZ Badnusty, plan to harvest the pollution to create weapons of mass destruction. The United Star Cluster of Leezaluth sent a warning to the Earth about their plans, stating that if they could not stop them, they would be forced to supernova Earth's sun to do so themselves; but if they succeeded, Leezaluth would use their technology to restore the Earth to its former beauty. Dan Dare, a young pilot from Earth was chosen to be the pilot of a new fighter ship to combat the Gulfer. The ship is armed with a powerful experimental weapon from Leezaluth called the TOZ System, which would be operated by Alexis, an emissary from Leezaluth. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in March 2020, to take to the skies, and deploy the TOZ System, as we play Gaiares!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
SaturdayDevelopment
steveovig
Gamer707b
Dingo
FauxMacho

High Score:
1. MetalFRO - 1,409,550
2. FauxMacho - 486,848

Original hint:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:07:33 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:12:33 PM »

Grin Seeker?
zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 09:32:09 AM »

Deathsmiles?🤔

TOB
SaturdayDevelopment
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 11:29:33 AM »

I'd recognize that mustache anywhere...

* Gaiares.jpg (176.42 KB, 500x732 - viewed 506 times.)
zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 11:46:24 AM »

Dude! Nice work! 😄👍🏻

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »

Haha, nicely done, SaturdayDevelopment!

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:40:31 AM »

Unfortunately i don't own a copy, so i'm out. 😐

TOB
SaturdayDevelopment
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 12:20:21 PM »

Just got my copy today.  Count me in.

* Gaiares.jpg (94.01 KB, 659x812 - viewed 526 times.)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 02:34:40 PM »

Awesome! Jealous of that box, I only have a cartridge copy Cheesy

Unfortunately i don't own a copy, so i'm out. 😐

Yeah, unfortunately, it's become a fairly expensive game, too, at least here in the US. Not sure about Europe, I imagine it's not cheap there, either.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 02:15:55 PM »

There was no european release of Gaiares, so importing is the only option and yeah.... you know the prices of the us and jp releases...😅

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 03:43:42 PM »

There was no european release of Gaiares, so importing is the only option and yeah.... you know the prices of the us and jp releases...😅

That's unfortunate - you'd think, with how well Sega was received during the previous generation, something like this might have easily come out in Europe. Keep in mind, you could still emulate, if you want to join in. That's not off the table.

steveovig
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 12:56:34 PM »

Can we use the Genesis Mini to play it?

Nevermind, I see the above post.  Count me in, even though I probably won't do well nod
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:30:56 PM by steveovig » Logged
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 02:32:23 PM »

Can we use the Genesis Mini to play it?

Nevermind, I see the above post.  Count me in, even though I probably won't do well nod

Absolutely, the Genesis Mini would be a fine way to play it, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how well it plays, as I haven't picked one of those up yet. Also, welcome to RF Generation!

Gamer707b
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 12:50:03 PM »

Count me in!! Love this game. Still have my copy. BAck in the day, I remember seeing the ads for this game and thinking it reminded me of another beloved Genesis series. Phantasy Star. the theme and overall style was very similar. So how does this work. Play it for a month and take pictures of high scores? Or who can do a 1cc?
SaturdayDevelopment
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 06:50:31 PM »

Count me in!! Love this game. Still have my copy. BAck in the day, I remember seeing the ads for this game and thinking it reminded me of another beloved Genesis series. Phantasy Star. the theme and overall style was very similar. So how does this work. Play it for a month and take pictures of high scores? Or who can do a 1cc?
We just go for high score during the month.  Getting a 1CC certainly would help!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length