RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:18:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGen's Top 20 N64 games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: RFGen's Top 20 N64 games  (Read 24917 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2020, 04:38:03 PM »

So guys, what are some of your favorite soundtracks/tunes for the system? I'm going through various soundtracks while trying to put music to the top 20 video and am discovering some really great stuff!

Banjo Kazooie comes to mind right away for its music. Otherwise nothing jumps out at me.
  I was going to say Banjo, too, but honestly, I haven't played the N64 in 10+ years so I don't remember much about the music.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2020, 05:53:38 PM »

Cool, I've never played the Banjo games and haven't listened to the soundtracks, but I'll have to check those out.

Some of the ones that I was really getting into were Goldeneye, F-Zero X, and 1080 Snowboarding. I love the thrashy goodness of 1080's title screen:

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2020, 11:45:21 PM »

Apologies for overlooking one of the single vote games-

One 18th place vote

007 The World is not Enough

And now for the Multi-vote Also Rans-

Extreme G (#17, #16)

Goemon's Great Adventure (#18, #14)
"Supposed to be the sequel to the Mystical Ninja game, but who the heck knows.  What I do know is that this game features a lot of 2.5D gameplay, and while it still isn't great, it is still fun enough to see through to the end, and not because terrible dialog!"

"Super goofy and colorful action heavy game that messes around with some other genres in small doses. Very fun and very funny."

Pokemon Stadium (#16, #14)
"Nothing was more satisfying then battling your friends with your own pokemon on the TV."

"Along with Pokemon Stadium 2, seeing my Pokemon in 3D was immensely cool as was the ability to play my Game Boy games on the 64. These have great collections of mini games."

Hybrid Heaven (#19, #10)
"A neat little Christmas RPG! The combat is the selling point here where you use wrestling moves in a turnbased combat system! You can disable opponents apendages by breaking them which in turn limits their attack options and vice versa when they are used on you. It’s got some really awful dialogue to go along with it’s bizzare sci-fi story. If you’re in the mood for a good gaming “B-Movie” this should scratch that itch."

A weird turn based fighting RPG.  I've never seen any other game try something similar.  I loved the battle mechanics in this game and it's still a game I like to revisit."

Beetle Adventure Racing (#15, #7)
"My dad has always been into American cars and has never shown an interest in racing games featuring foreign cars. I was definitely surprised when he brought this game home and we all absolutely loved it. There are a ton of secrets in each level, and this game was a constant in our multiplayer sessions."

"A racing game themed around Volkswagen Beetles sounds so so very dumb. The really amazing track designs make this game really shine though. Very inventive courses with amazing shortcuts for those looking out for them."

WinBack (#14, #7)
"Introduced a brilliant cover system that would be popularized by later games.  This one still holds up really well and has a solid and entertaining story mode."

WCW vs NWO World Tour (#18, #14, #12)
"AKI & THQ really nailed the wrestling formula with this game and established the formula that many future wrestling games were based on."

"I didn't watch a lot of wrestling growing up, but I really loved the N64 wrestling games. 4 player fun!"

"I'm not that interested in wrestling games but I played this at my brothers and it became an instant favorite.  This was at a time when wrestling games became more involved and included different move sets and being four player made it all the more fun.  We had TONS of fun playing four player and is recommended for four player fun!"

Gauntlet Legends (#19, #18, #9)
"Another great arcade conversion that hits the N64 complete with 4 player support. So much fun with a crowd!

"I've mostly played this game in single player, but it does support up to 4 players. I've never been a huge fan of hack and slash games, but I think the settings and relative simplicity of the game are what drew me in. This game makes me wonder if the unreleased Dragon Sword would have given this game a run for its money."

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (#19, #16, #9)

Mario Golf (#13, #13, #12)
"Its Mario. Its Golf. Its a really fun, quirky golf game that provides a challenge, while not taking itself too seriously."

"Simple is best with sports games on console and Mario Golf keeps it easy to understand and hard to master. Lots of great courses and some interesting modes to play around with."

"A fun arcade style golf game with Mario characters. More 4 player fun!"

1080 Snowboarding (#20, #18, #17, #13)
"A fun "extreme sports" game that appealed to the skateboarder my youth.

"The first of many great racing games to appear on my list. It’s got a small cast, board selection and tracks, BUT everything that is included is great. No crap to cut. And it’s got some fun unlockable characters and boards that take some serious skill to open up."

"The first snowboarding game I ever played, and the only one since that I have gotten invested in. I remember really enjoying this game back in the day."

Conker's Bad Fur Day (#17, #11, #7)
"This is such a weird adventure game that got people to care about it by being gross.  I didn't get a chance to play it until a couple years after it was released (when it was about $5) and was blown away that it was even a thing.  I mean...  wow.  I don't think there is even a PG-13 way of describing what even happens in this game.  Given the time it came out (and the console) it feels very much like a swan song from a dying company, and includes everything from heavily inebriated and belligerent animals, well endowed flowers, operatic feces, and tons of movie references and fourth wall breaking.

"Another one of the games I wasn't allowed to watch my dad play. Going back years later made it obvious, and I'll play this game when I'm in the mood for a more adult version of Banjo Kazooie."

Mario Party 2 (#6, #3)
"I love the Mario Party franchise. It was the most innovative way of utilizing the N64's 4 controller ports, for a completely revolutionary action/board game. Mario Party 2, just stands out as my favorite, of the three on N64."

I didn't save quite as many Honorable Mentions for this list, as there was a large gap in points between Mario Party 2 and the lowest scoring HM. Stay tuned...
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2020, 12:01:27 AM »

Awesome to see all the involvement in this month's list.

A personal note-

My hope for all the lists is that they can be a resource for finding games to take interest in. This morning I picked up a game from a local shop mainly because it appeared on 2 lists (so far) and was cheap. I doubt I would have noticed it otherwise.

When this is done, let us know what game it is.

For sure

So, as promised- the game I picked up was Hybrid Heaven. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but again I hope the lists can be a bit of a resource for finding out about otherwise unknown games, as well as discussing the classics.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2020, 08:50:55 AM »

So guys, what are some of your favorite soundtracks/tunes for the system? I'm going through various soundtracks while trying to put music to the top 20 video and am discovering some really great stuff!

Conker's actually has great iconic music

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »

A personal note-

My hope for all the lists is that they can be a resource for finding games to take interest in. This morning I picked up a game from a local shop mainly because it appeared on 2 lists (so far) and was cheap. I doubt I would have noticed it otherwise.

For sure

So, as promised- the game I picked up was Hybrid Heaven. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but again I hope the lists can be a bit of a resource for finding out about otherwise unknown games, as well as discussing the classics.

Oh awesome! Who was the other guy I need to high five for putting this gem on their list as well?

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2020, 07:50:11 AM »

A personal note-

For sure

Oh awesome! Who was the other guy I need to high five for putting this gem on their list as well?

It wasn't me but I have this game and have yet to play it.  After reading the quotes I need to play this game!

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2020, 07:50:23 AM »

Another three off my list.

SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2020, 08:15:11 AM »

Goemon's Great Adventure is actually one of the few N64 games I have that's off the beaten path. Fun little game, though it's one I haven't put enough time into. And while I haven't played the N64 version of Gauntlet Legends, the Dreamcast version is awesome. Fun game.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2020, 09:04:39 AM »

Man, I should have kept an eye on this thread after I asked for updates... 8 of my games have been mentioned across the various extra lists so far.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2020, 09:13:52 AM »

I probably should have included Mario Golf on my list. I played it quite a bit back in the day but have mostly forgotten about it over the years.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »

Once again, great work Racer!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2020, 11:18:42 AM »

I probably should have included Mario Golf on my list. I played it quite a bit back in the day but have mostly forgotten about it over the years.

I have never played the game, but really wish I had, and I might have done the same.  I cannot help to notice that Camelot is the dev for this title, and I am a huge fan of Mario Golf on GBC.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2020, 12:19:47 PM »

Alright, the final list is on the front page, so I'm laying my cards out on the table:

1.   Mario Kart 64 – My friends and I spent countless hours playing this, and I'm pretty sure I absolutely dissected this game, conquering every mode and unlocking everything. The battle mode was always a hit during multiplayer sessions.

2.   Goldeneye 007 – Rare's unique take on the FPS genre struck a chord with many people, myself included. Large levels with multiple objectives depending on difficulty setting, tons of weapons and gadgets to use, and that sweet battle mode. Many hours were spent playing both the single-player campaign and the multiplayer battle mode.

3.   Resident Evil 2 – One of the best survival-horror titles of all time receives a great port for the N64. What’s not to like?

4.   Super Smash Bros. – Another game I poured a ton of hours into, both by myself and with friends, unlocking everything and completing every challenge in the game. I always enjoyed the fast-paced chaotic action of this series.

5.   Super Mario 64 – I've never been a big fan of 3D platformers, and for the longest time Super Mario 64 stood as the only one I really enjoyed. A revolutionary title for its time, and a game I still enjoy just as much now as I did in 1996.

6.   The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – A turning point for one of the all-time greatest video game series. Some of the sequels have improved and refined the experience over the years, but this entry still stands the test of time, no pun intended.

7.   WCW/NWO Revenge – This was my favorite wrestling game until the early WWF Smackdown games on PS1 dethroned it. My friends and I poured a ton of hours into this.

8.   Mario Party – I spent a lot of time playing this with friends and family. Ending friendships has never been so much fun!

9.   Star Fox 64 – My favorite entry in the Star Fox series by far. The gameplay is fun and smooth with multiple paths and stages throughout, and the game is always endearing with its personality and charm. A great game that still holds up today!

10.   Doom 64 – Some bad level design rears its head more often than I’d like, but it's a fun game otherwise, and the classic Doom action never gets old!

11.   Star Wars: Rogue Squadron – A great flight combat game set in the Star Wars universe. If you enjoyed the opening Hoth level of Shadows of the Empire but lost interest once the third-person action stages started, then definitely check this game out!

12.   WCW vs. NWO World Tour – AKI & THQ really nailed the wrestling formula with this game and established the formula that many future wrestling games were based on.

13.   Diddy Kong Racing – Takes the Mario Kart formula and introduces some new elements such as aerial vehicles. Not quite as good as Mario Kart, but I still had a lot of fun with this one back in the day.

14.   Paper Mario – I didn't play this game until after playing The Thousand Year Door, and honestly I found this game to be pretty disappointing in comparison. However, this is still a solid RPG, and when it comes to RPGs on the N64, beggars can't be choosers.

15.   Mischief Makers – One of the most unique games I have ever played. Almost every stage is different from the one before it, and just when you think you've seen everything the game has to offer, it throws yet another curve at you. The controls can be a bit awkward, but once you get the hang of it, it's a fun ride.

16.   The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask – There are a lot of tedious elements in this game, but I still enjoy the core Zelda mechanics. It's a pretty good game when it gets out of its own way.

17.   Hexen – It's more or less a Doom clone but with a gothic fantasy setting. A decently fun game in its own right, but what really made this game stand out to me was the splitscreen co-op. I remember playing through the entire game with a friend and having a lot of fun with it.

18.   Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire – It's kind of a jankfest other than the classic opening Hoth level and a few other flight stages, but I played this game a ton as a kid and will always have a soft spot for it.

19.   Wave Race 64 – The first racing game ever released for the N64 was something unique and really caught my interest at the time. I rented this game a few times and remember having a lot of fun with it.

20.   1080 Snowboarding – The first snowboarding game I ever played, and the only one since that I have gotten invested in. I remember really enjoying this game back in the day.

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2020, 02:23:47 PM »

Banjo Kazooie comes to mind right away for its music. Otherwise nothing jumps out at me.
  I was going to say Banjo, too, but honestly, I haven't played the N64 in 10+ years so I don't remember much about the music.
Super Mario 64 also has some great tunes as does Donkey Kong 64.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length