RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:19:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | May 2020 Shmup Club - Fantasy Zone 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: May 2020 Shmup Club - Fantasy Zone  (Read 22034 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: April 13, 2020, 08:45:27 AM »

Sega is no stranger to arcade shoot-em-up games, as demonstrated by early hits, such as Zaxxon, its sequel Super Zaxxon, or the lesser known Star Jacker. Sega didn't stick with the genre that long, though, as the market had become flooded during the early 1980's arcade boom. The story goes, that someone in a position of power at Sega saw Konami's success with Gradius in Japan in 1985, and decided Sega needed to have their own, similar game. Designer Yoji Ishii was given the task, and rather than make a clone, he took the design in a very different direction, adopting a free-scrolling approach, like Williams' Defender, and giving the game a very bright, colorful look, paired with a set of very cute, whimsical characters, and a very fantastical setting, which became the game's namesake. That game, of course, is Sega's classic, Fantasy Zone.

Fantasy Zone was a success in the arcade, and appeared on many consoles and home computers during the 1980's and early 90's, including the Famicom, NES, Sega Master System, MSX, Sharp X68000, TurboGrafx-16, and more. It received an arcade-perfect port on the Sega Saturn in 1997, as well as receiving multiple iterations on the PlayStation 2. The arcade version is unlockable in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 and Xbox 360, received a 3D port on the Nintendo 3DS, and has now been given the M2 Sega Ages treatment on the Nintendo Switch. With so many ways to play, there's no excuse to sit this one out. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club as we team up with Opa-Opa, and fight off an enemy invasion on multiple planets, as we play Fantasy Zone in May 2020!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
douglie007
FauxMacho
shaggy
zoydo
Normatron
petezilla

High Scores

SMS:
NES:
Famicom:
TurboGrafx:
Arcade:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:03:29 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 10:02:44 AM »

I will join this... love the game

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 01:37:34 PM »

Welcome aboard, Doug!

FauxMacho
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 12:26:39 PM »

Nice, I'll join on Switch and if things open back up, maybe a day at the arcade.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 01:31:18 PM »

Nice, I'll join on Switch and if things open back up, maybe a day at the arcade.

Very cool! Jealous of anyone who can actually play it in the arcade. I don't believe I've ever seen it in the wild.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 07:47:58 PM »

I actually have this for the SMS so I'm in!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 08:31:41 AM »

Sweet! Welcome to the Shmup Club Cheesy

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 03:34:20 PM »

Sweet! Welcome to the Shmup Club Cheesy

Welcome to the party pal!

SMS set complete!
zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 05:25:52 AM »

I've never been a big fan of Fantasy Zone.  But it's on several SEGA collections and i got a copy for PCE, so i join in. Maybe i find some love for it.

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 11:46:33 PM »

I've never been a big fan of Fantasy Zone.  But it's on several SEGA collections and i got a copy for PCE, so i join in. Maybe i find some love for it.

Excellent!

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 03:50:50 PM »

So how does this work?  We just trying to beat the game or post a high score?

SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 10:39:17 AM »

So how does this work?  We just trying to beat the game or post a high score?

Both! Let us know which version you're playing, maybe talk about your experience with that version, or the game in general. Let us know what you like, don't like, etc. and share your impressions of the game. And then yes, post your high scores, when you have them, and if you beat the game, post an end screen or credit roll, so we can revel in your success and celebrate with you Cheesy

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 10:49:54 AM »

So I opened up my copy and found this clipping a magazine:

It may help you guys out.  I tired to do it but can't get $10,000 laugh

If anyone if interested the reverse side has a level select for a Mickey Mouse game on the NES.

SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 10:53:48 AM »

Awesome find, shaggy! I had not heard of that tip before. This will be great for practice, though I would say play it straight/legit w/o using this, for submitting a score Wink

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 11:00:55 AM »

So, I'm playing the SMS version.  I read through the manual and it wasn't pleasant.  It seems to be lacking in detail.

I don't like the speed that my ship moves around at.  It's to fast and slippery to me so I don't think the engine upgrades will work for me.  I got some extra weapons and didn't know they were timed which really makes a point of getting a weapon useless.  I figured out that initially the shop comes out after you get $2,000 but after that I don't know when it comes out.  

At first I thought I needed a special weapon to destroy the bases because the noise it makes is a noise that sounds like it was "blocked".  Through luck I figured out that your regular shots can destroy the bases.  Same with the bosses, I didn't if I was hitting them.  Again, I thought maybe I needed to use a special weapon but I was able to defeat the first boss (with many shots).  

There are a lot of improvements that could be made for this game/version.  I wonder how the NES game plays out.  I'm wondering if maybe you are supposed to get a weapon and not use it except for the boss but then that brings up the next question, when does the select (SEL) come so you can change weapons?

I'm not particularly enjoying this game.  I know it gets a lot of love but at the moment, I don't get why.

I made it to level 3 and got 41,000 points.  I'll have to take a picture next time.

SMS set complete!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length