RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August 2020 Shmup Club - Zer0Ranger 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: August 2020 Shmup Club - Zer0Ranger  (Read 11141 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: July 10, 2020, 07:34:24 PM »

We've likely all heard the expression that, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." In gaming, we see that a lot. A landmark game comes out, gets rave reviews, and then other development studios rush to copy the elements from that game. It's a tried and true formula, and one that has allowed many developers and publishers to continually refine a game genre, while still adhering to the basics. What happens when a developer doesn't blatantly rip off another game, but instead, pays homage to several, while doing something unique, and yet still keeping the essence of what the genre is supposed to be? That's what happened with System Erasure, and their independently developed shmup, Zer0Ranger.

Rather than copying the formula of previous games, instead, it contains a lot of subtle references and Easter Eggs that pay tribute to many classic shooters over the years. It also brings a minimalist graphical style, and a unique look and feel. Take off in your fighter, and face off against the alien menace, ORANGE GREEN! Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in August 2020, as we take on the indie shooting game Zer0Ranger!

Zer0Ranger can be had here on Steam, or DRM-free on Itch.io as well.

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
monstercloset
zoydo
Seamonkey
GravyBread
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:42:43 PM by MetalFRO » Logged

monstercloset
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 10:25:33 AM »

I'm relatively new to shmups and bought Zeroranger on the steam sale. Count me in for this!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 10:20:49 AM »

Welcome aboard, and welcome to RF Generation!

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 11:38:59 AM »

Great game! I'll be around for this one.

TOB
Corkman
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 11:35:37 PM »

I was in the Electric Underground’s stream the other day and I think both of you recommended this game. So I’m in!

Do not pursue Lu Bu!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 08:00:37 PM »

I was in the Electric Underground’s stream the other day and I think both of you recommended this game. So I’m in!

Excellent! Happy to have you on board, and welcome to RF Generation! I'll be streaming the game all month, as well, like I usually do Smiley

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 10:27:38 PM »

For anyone who appears to be struggling with the game right away, allow me to suggest trying the White Vanilla mode, which should be unlocked after the first time you play. It's a bit of a remix, so the levels are 1:1 with the main mode, but enemies are somewhat less aggressive, there are fewer bullets, and it's easier to progress. It's also really fun!

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 08:13:47 AM »

Hate to say i disagree with you about that. Cheesy

I'd recommend to play through Green Orange first (credit feeding) before playing White Vanilla, because Green Orange has a lot of cool surprises to offer and you might spoil this experience for yourself by playing WV first.

Green Orange is tough and you have to earn your credits, but it's absolutely worth the effort imo.

I signed up for La Calice Special 2020, so i will be mostly playing White Vanilla throughout the month. But i plan on playing some credits of Green Orange as well.

Here's the first score i got on Saturday (WV)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:16:59 AM by zoydo » Logged

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 08:16:53 AM »

No worries, I welcome the disagreement! To me, it just seemed like White Vanilla was going to be easier to learn, simply because the patterns were a little less chaotic, but I see what you're saying. Great score, by the way!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 09:53:23 PM »

I'm learning levels, and having fun, though there's some frustration with a couple spots where it seems like it's almost impossible not to take a hit, such as when fighting Artypo. But I'm definitely making progress.

* Zer0Ranger Green Orange 01.png (23.71 KB, 640x960 - viewed 424 times.)

* Zer0Ranger White Vanilla 01.png (57.98 KB, 640x960 - viewed 432 times.)

GravyBread
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 06:21:09 PM »

My first attempt!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 10:01:11 AM »

Nice! I've credit-fed my way through the White Vanilla mode a couple times, and it's quite a ride. I got a C+ rating both times, but the 2nd time (last night), I managed to score Z ratings on a lot of it, so I'm at least moving in the right direction. I'm hoping to eventually get a 1CC on that mode, if not a credit-feed clear of Orange Green, as well. I'm really digging the game overall, and I think the minimalist graphical approach is really slick.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 10:20:19 AM »

I played a run of Green Orange yesterday. Got to the St.3 Boss and lost my last life totally stupid because my pad disconnected. -.-

Score Update for White Vanilla (865.332):

TOB
monstercloset
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 07:47:19 PM »

I don't know how to insert an image on here, but my top score has so far been 50,222 and I got to 1-2. I'm using Type C. I haven't gotten to play as much as I would have liked, but the continues are pretty generous so I've seen some stuff further. I really like the color palette of this game and I keep being surprised how much detail they were able to pack in without compromising the colors
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 08:12:33 AM »

I really like the color palette of this game and I keep being surprised how much detail they were able to pack in without compromising the colors

This is a good point. The graphic design of the game is quite adept, despite the limited palette. I liken it to what the teams at places like Konami, Nintendo, and Capcom were able to do with the Game Boy, and what they accomplished with just 4 shades.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length