RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | September 2020 Shmup Club - Kamui 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: September 2020 Shmup Club - Kamui  (Read 6967 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: August 11, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »

In 1999, Japanese indie developer Siter Skain released the 1st of 3 games, loosely connected in a trilogy, and bound by a storyline revolving around the ALLTYNEX OS, a dangerous A.I. created by mankind that has laid dormant for many years. However, it now threatens to wipe out humanity. It's up to you, piloting the ship KAMUI, to attack and destroy the ALLTYNEX OS, and prevent it from destroying civilization.

Despite being the 3rd and final game in the story canon of the ALLTYNEX TRILOGY of games, Kamui  was released first, and draws heavy inspiration from Taito's RayForce. Not only does it resemble Taito's double-layer shooting game, but it uses it's primary mechanic as a major driving element. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in September 2020, as we dive into PC shmup Kamui! Use your vulcan cannon, lightning weapon, and super beam to take out enemies, and rid the galaxy once and for all, of the ALLTYNEX OS, so humanity can finally have some peace.

KAMUI is available on Steam here.

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
zoydo
Geriatric.Danmaku
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:48:09 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:10:16 PM »

Hey Guys,

as this is another one of the La Calice games, i'm in. When i saw you picked it for September, i just played a few runs and try to focus more on it this month.

I just played a run and beat my former score, i submitted for the tournament.

The way the lock-on and laser works is still a bit confusing compared to other lock-on shooters like Rayforce or Crimzon Clover f.e., but i'm getting used to it.

This is my current score (played today):

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 08:30:52 PM »

Yeah, in a way, it's easier than those other games, because you don't have to aim. However, since you can't shoot and lock-on at the same time, there's quite a dance you have to do to take out enemies with forward fire, while also letting up on that periodically to lock-on. It's an interesting balance. Thanks for jumping in, zoydo!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 10:01:26 PM »

I'm not quite at the same level of score you are, zoydo, but I'm at least making progress. Unfortunately, the stage 3 boss is my wall. That thing just wrecks me. So much bullet and laser spam.

* Kamui 01_small.png (164.6 KB, 601x470 - viewed 572 times.)

Geriatric.Danmaku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 03:16:47 PM »

Hello Shump players!   I'm attempting to join in on the fun!   But for now, only in the "Geriatric" division.   Which is my excuse for playing on "Easy".   And not that well yet!   

The entries under the name "Smak" have been registered at various times over the last three years.

The entries under the name "GDM" are registered during the current month.   

My current goal is to get a new PB during this month.

Any 50+ aged players want to take a shot at me?  BRING IT!!!!!  !!1   (please don't actually bring it, not up for that level of competition)

* 20200906151228_1.jpg (103.45 KB, 800x600 - viewed 408 times.)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 08:13:02 PM »

Haha, welcome board, good sir! Glad to have you finally jump into the fray. That's a pretty respectable score already. Keep at it!

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 10:50:18 PM »

Hey Geriatric.Danmaku, welcome. Smiley

I managed to break 7mil finally. Still couldn't beat the Stage 3 Boss, its ridiculously hard...

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 08:34:51 AM »

Dropping the STG Weekly video for Kamui here for reference, as much for myself as for anyone else. It might help with routing and boss strategies. Right now, the stage 4 boss is my wall.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 09:56:58 PM »

I keep forgetting to post my latest score, but I managed to get to stage 4 and get my PB so far a few days ago, though I haven't quite been able to replicate that performance. Been practicing stage 4, but can't quite beat the boss in less than 2 lives yet. That's a difficult boss fight, and it takes so long to take it out.

* Kamui 02_small.png (215.72 KB, 601x470 - viewed 527 times.)

Geriatric.Danmaku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 10:09:56 PM »

Golly those are some nice scores.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 02:09:09 PM »

Thank you kindly! I'm still very much stuck on stage 4, though I'm hopeful I can find a way to at least make stage 5 before month's end. I didn't think I had any hope of a clear, and while I had to rethink that assessment quickly, now it looks like my original thought was correct. Seems like it's not unreachable, though, if I put in a little more time.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 10:16:26 PM »

New PB tonight! The stage 4 boss is still wrecking me, but at least in full runs, I've managed to get through stage 3 a handful of times, and even that difficult stage 3 boss. Feeling pretty good about my progress, though I kinda hoped I might be able to eek out a clear this month. Not looking good for that.

* Kamui 03_small.png (215.62 KB, 601x470 - viewed 513 times.)

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 08:48:38 AM »

Any final thoughts on the game?

Geriatric.Danmaku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »

Kamui made me start to really feel old.   It's just a lot of activity to keep up with.  Eventually playing it made feel stressed out.

Kamui is such a professional production, it's hard to think of as a Dojun title.   

I used AntiMicro button mapping software to map the pressing of both buttons to just one.  Which made things a little easier to manage.

If you are feeling that your current Shmup is not stressing your brain enough, try out Kamui!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length