RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:24:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sequels: Fame or Lame? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sequels: Fame or Lame?  (Read 4743 times)
2D-Forever
Jaguar CD

Stats
« on: July 09, 2004, 08:18:39 AM »

I know this one can be argued both ways:

The Good:
Resident Evil 2
Armored Core 2
The Bad:
Devil may cry 2
Homeworld 2
And the Ugly:
Windows 2 (ie. 95, 98, me, Xp)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 09:25:40 PM by tynstar » Logged

-God gave us memories so we could languish in dispair.
-Once delayed, Twice dismayed.  SNK
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 08:30:15 AM »

I said you cheated just beacuase i couldnt vote yes or no. I mean sometimes even a sequel sucks but then the one after that is good

Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 04:32:55 PM »

i said you cheated, because they can go either way.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 07:02:15 PM »

WTF is with people not voting and giving a reason screw them i say their votes dont count.
But seriously you should give a reason.

Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 07:43:06 PM »

Er OK, I was caught in 2 minds over this, but my reason is that more often than not, 'sequels' fix issues that were annoying in a previous version of a game, and are generally more 'updated'.  This is not true for all sequels of course, some turn out to be utter tripe or a simple cash-in.  The scales tipped towards great, mainly because I'm really looking forward to the Half-Life and Counter-Strike sequels Tongue

Me vs Gretzky
danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 09:41:12 PM »

i could not decide either, because there have been a lot of very good sequels and a lot of very bad or so-so sequels  imo, good sequels:
-continue the plot
-improve gameplay by fixing the bad things with controls, glitches, etc.
-do NOT make the same game with only new graphics and levels
-add new mechanics, but not too many or drastically different gameplay, make sure the players who have bought the sequel because they liked how the first game was played are not dissappointed
-improve graphics (maybe)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 09:49:02 PM by danvx6 » Logged

[img width=450 height=150]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/Danvx6sigORANGE.jpg[/img]
Rejinx
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 06:22:36 PM »

bump

Wanted to see if feeling have changed in 2 years.  I hate most sequels.  I think EA has done that to me.  They have one of the biggest crews of game Develipers in the world and what do we get?  The 14th Maddein and more sims 2 exspantion packs. BE ORIGINAL!!!

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Rejinx[/img]
My Podcast: www.RetroRundown.com
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 06:30:18 PM »

As long as the game mechanics havn't changed, but the game has been expanded, then I like em.  If they are drastically different, then I don't, even if they are an improvement.  If you wanted to change it that much, give it a different name.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 06:56:17 PM »

Wow, talk about reviving topics from the dead, and plus 1 to people who use the search feature.

Anyways, sequels can go either way, some can be really bad (Windows Me), some really good (RE 4). I voted you cheated.

Hello World.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 08:37:13 PM »

Cheater!

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 09:24:48 PM »

They can be good. Sports games once a year are fine by me. But with sports games now I think you should beable to download a new roster every year instead of buying a new game. Maybe you can now I don't know.

Games like GTA and others that have a game every year is a little old.

Cham Zord
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 02:35:20 AM »

Generally, sequels are great. My backups are TimeSplitters 2 and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. As long as a company can realize their flaws in the previous game and build upon it in the sequel, there should be no reason why a sequel sucks.

In a perfect world, there are no boundaries...

We already live in a perfect world...
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 02:53:13 AM »

I voted that Sequels are great.  Even if they don't meet the expectations, they are generally a graphically improved version of the previous game.  People expect to be amazed at a sequel the same way that they were amazed with its prequel, but that is very hard to accomplish.  Generally speaking, if you did not play the 1st release of a game, and start playing a game's sequel, you are usually more satisfied than when you did play the first game in the series.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
atari_wizard
Sega Master System
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 03:16:55 AM »

I voted for sequels are great. Of course there are always a those exceptions, but those are the ones that I will never buy. I pick up all the mario, mega man, GTA, Tony Hawk, Hitman & few others without even trying them out. When it comes to the exceptional games, I would have to rent/borrow them before going thru with a purchase.

Have you played Pitfall II today?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/atari_wizard.png[/img]
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 05:38:24 AM »

Sequels are great. Although I would've rephrased it to "sequels are a good thing".

There are a lot of games with good ideas, but not that great overall due to lack of polishing and/or technical expertise. If they get the needed support/financing, they could produce a quality sequel (assuming it's not a rush job).

I'm watching for Flatout 2 for this reason. The 1st game seemed okay, but with flaws. And from what I'm hearing, the sequel takes care of a lot of gameplay issues. And hopefully, there will eventually be a Marvel vs the Imperfects 2; the idea of a 3D fighting game with Marvel characters is very appealing, but I think that they're going to need to make a sequel that takes care of the initial flaws.

And let's not forget Halo 2. One of the best videogame sequels out there, imo.

Yes, there are definitely dud sequels. But you gotta take the bad with the good here.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 05:43:00 AM by phoenix1967 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length