RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:31:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | how many games are there 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: how many games are there  (Read 3356 times)
NESJunkie
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 09:18:29 PM »

I agree that there aren't a million of them, but there are a lot. There is probably no real way to count them all especially if you include PC games. I can't imagine how many of them there are plus all the variations on MAC and old Tandy's etc. Too many to count!

I was the 13th member to join this site. My parents were married on Friday the 13th. I was married on the 13th. Feeling lucky?

Here is a link to my profile on VAPS. I am mainly an arcade collector now. http://www.vaps.org/membe...tail.php?member_id=381193
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 06:42:54 AM »

I don't know about a million. but for sure there's at least a bazillion.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 07:27:52 AM »

I have like 80.

When shall his new form be revealed?
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 07:43:39 AM »

That settles it, there are somewhere between 80 and 1 bazillion games.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 08:22:49 AM »

Exactly my point. I think.

When shall his new form be revealed?
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 12:37:48 PM »

That settles it, there are somewhere between 80 and 1 bazillion games.

works for me. don't need to be any more accurate than that.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2006, 06:32:54 AM »

Well, I attached a spreadsheet that I have been working on a little bit.  It needs some serious updating, but it is a pretty accurate count of all the American releases for each system.

Some stuff isn't on there (most computer games) and for systems like the C64, I am going by the list that they have at DP which only counts games released on carts.

It totals around 14,000 games released for those systems.  If you're going to be liberal about the game counts for different platforms, we can assume that every region outside of Japan is going to have around the same amount of total games, so add another 84,000 games (there are 8 different regions, right).  Japan probably has around 3 times as many games released there (and that's probably undercutting it), so we'll say that Japan has had 42,000 games released there.

Computers alone have probably had at least 100,000 games released over the years, but we'll say 150,000 just to be safe.  We can lump homebrews, repros, and pirates into one group.  The pirates alone probably bump this up to around a 50,000 game group.

The last group we have is the "random game" section.  These are games like those little LCD handhelds and the like that no one really wants but collectors, and even then its a little iffy.  We'll just say there are 10,000 of those.

If you add up all of my Highly unscientific numbers that are RIDDLED with errors and bad assumptions, that brings the total up to 350,000 total games.  This isn't even counting web based games, and carts with multiple unique games on it.

In conclusion, no there haven't been a million games.  Jerk.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 06:44:39 AM by Sauza12 » Logged
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2006, 06:38:46 AM »

Well, I attached a spreadsheet that I have been working on a little bit.  It needs some serious updating, but it is a pretty accurate count of all the American releases for each system.

Some stuff isn't on there (most computer games) and for systems like the C64, I am going by the list that they have at DP which only counts games released on carts.

Nice spreadsheet!

atari_wizard
Sega Master System
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 10:10:42 AM »

Nice spreadsheet!

I second that. @ Sauza12, you put some serious time into that. How long have you been tracking games for all US systems?

Have you played Pitfall II today?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/atari_wizard.png[/img]
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 12:07:25 PM »

I second that. @ Sauza12, you put some serious time into that. How long have you been tracking games for all US systems?

Thanks guys.  I made that spreadsheet last year sometime and it only took me a day or two.

I guess I've been keeping track of the total number of US released games since I started seriously collecting.  One of the first things I did when I got into it was find out how many games were available for the systems that I had an intrest in.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2006, 12:24:21 PM »

I can't see the list :-/

I need to install Office 2k4 again

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 01:25:01 PM »

I can't see the list :-/

I need to install Office 2k4 again

Office 2k4? You on a Mac?

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 02:30:12 PM »

No. GOD NO!

I don't install just Excell though i install the entire Microsoft Office pack.
Excell, Word, Acess, and that other prog i can't remember.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 02:31:26 PM by IZRET101 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length