RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:59:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Introduce yourself please 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 100 Print
Author Topic: Introduce yourself please  (Read 407452 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #435 on: August 05, 2008, 09:47:26 AM »

Hello Ga5ket, welcome to the RF Gen! I hope you'll enjoy your stay here Smiley

And don't worry about being a pack-rat, most of us here are Wink

EDIT: Love your collection! Very tidy and nicely displayed! Smiley
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #436 on: August 05, 2008, 10:11:30 AM »

Hi, I'm Ga5ket from Nottinghamshire, UK. I'm employed as a programmer, and married with 3 kids, all girls. Consequently I don't have a big pot of money to spend on games, but that doesn't stop me trying. I have a very understanding wife, who also games, but doesn't collect. I used to be a Sega fan-boy until Sony stole me away. I'm just rediscovering the joys of the Dreamcast, although I tend to have a pack-rat mentality as far as games & consoles are concerned. I want them all!

Told ya that you'd be met with open arms! Wink

Hope to see you around the forums!

Tell me about your variants...
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #437 on: August 05, 2008, 05:36:52 PM »

Hey ga5ket, welcome to RF Gen, hope you enjoy your stay.

shylock
N-Gage
Canada

Stats
« Reply #438 on: August 05, 2008, 08:44:17 PM »

The submission system here is fantastic Smiley
Just make sure you read the submissions FAQ first (http://www.rfgeneration.c...submitinfo.php?action=faq) and have the games nearby when you do submissions because you need the Part Number or UPC for everything you submit Smiley
I just bought 4 games earlier tonight and found that Mass Effect for PC wasn't listed so I made that my first submission. I had the box handy so the UPC wasn't hard. Most of my boxes are in another city right now so most of my additions will have to wait.

Steam ID: Shylock (jade_monkey86@hotmail.com)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #439 on: August 06, 2008, 04:46:29 AM »

I just bought 4 games earlier tonight and found that Mass Effect for PC wasn't listed so I made that my first submission. I had the box handy so the UPC wasn't hard. Most of my boxes are in another city right now so most of my additions will have to wait.
That's great. Did you find the Part Number, too? It's usually somewhere on the side of the box, or the back. It can also be on a the cartridge for cartridge-games. For a Playstation game, this is for example: SLES 54271.
Try to fill in both, the more fields filled in when doing the title addition, the better Smiley
shylock
N-Gage
Canada

Stats
« Reply #440 on: August 06, 2008, 05:13:16 AM »

That's great. Did you find the Part Number, too? It's usually somewhere on the side of the box, or the back. It can also be on a the cartridge for cartridge-games. For a Playstation game, this is for example: SLES 54271.
Try to fill in both, the more fields filled in when doing the title addition, the better Smiley
The only two numbers I found were the ISBN number and the barcode number. I put the ISBN in for the part number and the barcode in for UPC.

Steam ID: Shylock (jade_monkey86@hotmail.com)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #441 on: August 06, 2008, 05:39:40 AM »

The only two numbers I found were the ISBN number and the barcode number. I put the ISBN in for the part number and the barcode in for UPC.
No problem. Sometimes they can be hard to find. Then it's better to just leave one or the other open Smiley
You can also edit an entry which has been made in the past if a field is missing or a something's wrong. You'll see that alot of entries don't have their Part Number or UPC yet, because you didn't need to enter them in the past. Feel free to edit any of those and submit the Part Nr./UPC if you have the games Smiley

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #442 on: August 06, 2008, 05:43:32 AM »

The bar code is great, almost any game or piece of hardware will have one.
Don't stress too much if you can't find a part number, sometimes they can be hard to find and  a lot of products don't even have one.

Lord Roke
Tiger Gizmondo

United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #443 on: August 06, 2008, 07:13:23 AM »

Hi All, I'm Phil, (from Nottingham, UK) - (36) married, 2 kids..

been gaming since playing Race Driver  at a neighbours in the late 70s. Love videogames but seem to enjoy reading about them / collecting them more than playing them at the moment.

If anything I'm Nintendo fan but also rate the 360 - have a bit of downer on the PS3 - not been too impressed with it so far. I love the style of Japanese games as I think these were more prevelant in the SNES area.

Owned lots of different systems but the Golden Age of gaming was the early 90s - mainly thinking of the SNES. Just started collecting and done a couple of bulk purchase on ebay for a US SNES and a US N64 with a good selection of games - this has not gone down well with the wife but think it was worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/...e=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/...e=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

Also recently acquired Secret of Mana - started playing this last night - seems good so far - trying to look past the dated graphics and get a feel for the game.

Collecting goals - seem to want to buy everything but focused on games I owned and sold along with top 25 SNES and N64 games.

Goal for end of the year is to pick up a copy of Chrono Trigger and complete it and maybe try and play some of these other games I've already purchased. Want to have a collection that gets played.

Also, love this website - great way of maintaining collection and reading about games etc. Also it's not banned at work like most other game related websites.

Cheers,

Phil Smiley
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #444 on: August 06, 2008, 07:34:14 AM »

Hey Phil and welcome to RF Generation! Please feel free to ask any questions you might have. Smiley

Nice eBay wins, try to convince the wife that it's for the good of the nation Wink
You can also post them in this thread: http://www.rfgeneration.c...rum/index.php?topic=824.0 where we show off our eBay winnings Smiley

Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPG's ever. Sadly, I haven't played it either Sad mainly because it hasn't been released in Europe and I should get a US SNES.

Enjoy uploading your collection and feel free to PM me or any of the staff if you run into a problem. Smiley
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #445 on: August 06, 2008, 07:51:03 AM »

Phil,

You got some damn good deals there in those lots!!! And the boxes look mint too.  Shocked  drool Definatly a good way to start a collection. I'm gonna ditto Sirgin on this one, need any help, post in the forum or pm a staff or veteran user. The collection tools are awesome, the memebers here are awesome (except for the ocasional troll  laugh), and the site is overall awesomeness.

Enjoy your stay!
Rob - logical123

Tell me about your variants...
Lord Roke
Tiger Gizmondo

United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #446 on: August 06, 2008, 08:11:02 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys - much appriciated.  Smiley
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #447 on: August 06, 2008, 08:33:07 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys - much appriciated.  Smiley
With pleasure, we're a bunch of friendly people here Smiley

PS: If you want to have your country's flag appear underneath your name when you make posts, click on the "Member Map" icon above the forum and place a dot where you live Smiley
Tan
« Reply #448 on: August 06, 2008, 11:18:44 AM »

The database standards for part/UPCs that require them for verification, only apply to hardware items not games. Don't get me wrong, they are very much welcomed for game submissions as well, but only hardware submissions will be questioned if they don't have them.

The main reason is that for every game system, there are multiple companies who make items such as accessories, controllers etc. In order for us to differentiate and prevent duplicates, we need unique information to the item in question. That way we know whether it's already in the database under a different name or not.

Games hardly if ever get duplicated, but one member's Dual Shock 2 [Clear Green] submission, could be a duplicate of another's Dual Shock 2 [Emerald] and the only way to tell if they are both unique or one a duplicate will be it's part number or UPC.

In the odd instances that a hardware item doesn't have either for whatever reason, a picture can be used as a substitute as long as the staff know via PM or post before the submission is submitted so we can approve it. As I mentioned earlier, only required for hardware not games.

Thanks,
Keith
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #449 on: August 06, 2008, 11:49:50 PM »

Welcome Phil, hope you enjoy your stay.
I definitely believe also the Sega vs Nintendo wars in the late 80s early 90s were truly the golden age of gaming.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 100 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length