RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:44:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | 3rd party controllers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 3rd party controllers  (Read 3450 times)
shadytool
RFG Friend

Stats
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:05:17 PM »

i loathe 3rd party controllers with a passion, they seem cheap to me.  i understand that they are less expensive than the "real" controllers but for myself i need the quality.  even when that means saving the money and not getting a second controller right away.

with that said, i want one of these bad.
http://www.streetfightercontroller.com/index.html

that is how awesome they are. :rock:
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:32:57 PM »

Third-party controllers do suck, though I pick them up used on occasion if one is kind of unusual.  And every once in a while, when first-party controllers suck (5200 anyone?), there is a controller made by somebody else that is better.

Those Street Fighter controllers look really cool, but I'd never buy one unless it was on clearance and really, really cheap.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 08:41:01 AM »

This seems like an idea that has been needed for ten years!  I know I have always wanted a controller with the buttons mapped this way.
2D-Forever
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 10:51:09 AM »

Since the PS controllers suck so badly for fighting games, this one imitating a sega 6button looks like what I'm looking for.  I'd still want one cheap though.

-God gave us memories so we could languish in dispair.
-Once delayed, Twice dismayed.  SNK
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 11:28:59 AM »

Never have i gotten a good third party controller, but those look cool and will probably work out great for fighters. If you end up getting one tell us how it stacks up to other conttrollers.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 03:00:13 AM »

I dunno, I'm a big fan (no pun intended) of the Air Flo controller for GC. It really comes in handy when I'm kicking the shit out of Gauntlet and any "party" game.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 11:16:33 AM »

I was going to get airflow controllers but i never bought a controller before so i decided not to break the habit. I either get them as gifts or when i get a system new or used thats pretty much it.
On the other hand  my little bro has bought about 4 3rd party PS controlers and all of them are garbage.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 02:02:18 PM »

I pick them up from time to time mainly just for the collection. I seem to use the first party stuff when i'm actually playing. Most of what I have is for my older systems with the exception of the 2 Xbox controllers I bought that were a Best Buy exclusive with a Halo 2 preview DVD. I think the system I have the most 3rd party contollers for is the Atari 2600. the same theory holds true even then, while just a directional stick and a fire button the 3rd party stuff still feels like crap compared to the trusty old standard Atari 2600 stick.

I've actually thought about doing a controller section on my website. to me it would be interesting to see pictures of all the controllers available on various systems over the years.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 05:16:33 AM »

I always used a 3rd party controller for my playstation. It was slightly bigger than the regular one and just felt better. I think there are a lot of good 3rd party controllers out there, it's just that once you're used to the original controller it's hard to switch to a different kind.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 01:20:31 PM »

The only 3rd party things i really like are by Pelican. Everything ive ever got that was made by Mad Cartz stoped working right shortly after the warranty.

Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 09:44:18 AM »

Fist off, my apologies for reviving an old thread (I've been kind of away for a while).

I picked up a Soul Caliber II arcade stick yesterday for $30.  It's a universal stick for XBox, Cube, and PS2 thought I bought it for my XBox - to play MAME games how they're meant to be played.  So far it's pretty good.  No rumble feature or anything, but it promises to be compatible with most games.  I can't wait to try Soual Caliber (never played it EVER) or the new MK games with it.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 12:58:26 PM »

I've got an XARCADE stick that I use for MAME games. It kicks the lama's ass. Sometimes you can get them refurbished on Ebay for $70 with a lifetime warranty.

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 11:07:52 PM »

I've heard they lick the lama's ass.  When I built my arcade cab, I researched into putting an X-Arcade stick in it, or building my own control panel.  The reviews I read say the X-Arcade use the cheapest  joysticks and buttons possible.  Thus I built my own using the highest quality Happs buttons and joysticks for slightly cheaper than buying a  2 player X-Arcade stick.  Of course I had to drill the holes, wire it, paint it, etc. etc.

Now, I'm sure the X-Arcade is better than the $30 stick I got, but it's also quite a bit more expensive.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 02:04:24 PM »

I picked up a Soul Caliber II arcade stick yesterday for $30.  
OD

I picked this up right before my vacation for 20 bucks i have been using it with SC2 and it is tons of fun. I have yet to use the program ability for it yet.
But its very responsive and i like the design.

It kicks the lama's ass.

I thought i was the only person who said this.
Well me and Winamp anyways

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2004, 10:04:09 AM »

Today i picked up the Akuma PS2 controller Shady was talking about. It looks pretty cool and i love the box art. There was also a Ryu(?) controller. I didnt pay any attention to that one thats why im not sure. it came to $26 somehitn and i just realized the guy didnt give me my reciept.
Well they were both at Blockbuster.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length