RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:18:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | i miss sega 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: i miss sega  (Read 6838 times)
TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« on: August 01, 2006, 12:16:23 AM »

this is something that has been bugging the shit out of me for a while and i finally decided to put it into words. i am sure everyone has seen some thread about wanting sega to make a new system. but hear me out on this one, i have some logical reasons.

1. the words 'nintendo' and 'sonic' do not belong in the same sentence.

2. the dreamcast's graphics (i think) are remotely comparable to an xbox (not 360). the dreamcast ran on a windows processor and a few years later microsoft comes out with the xbox. hmmmmmm.

3. sega was the first to have online gaming.

4. the game gear rocked. i still think its better then a ds. its brighter and has a tv adapter.... nintendo has yet to make a handheld with as many capabilities (i.e. tv, master gear converter, brighter screen, bigger screen, etc.)

5. sega has always been ahead of itself. they need to sit back down with the dreamcast and expand the horizons (i.e. dvd lens, high speed modem, etc.)

6. sega cd. not very popular but they had the right idea of where to go with technology. they knew where gaming was going.

thats the basics of whats been bugging me. i am not sure of how you feel but i think these are legit reasons for sega to get back on top of the gaming world. because sonic should never be on a nintendo system. thats like putting nixon on a $100 bill, its just not right. please share your thoughts on this, i would like to hear what people think.

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
Kevincal
Donor
United States
Awards: RFG Promoter

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 01:20:19 AM »

Ya Sega kicks ass.  It's really too bad that they mis-managed/rushed the launch of the Sega CD, 32X, and then the Saturn.  Really, instead of releasing those 3 systems they should have focused on one system that kicked ass, and then there might not have been a Playstation 2...Makes you wonder.  Even though Sega did a great job with the Dreamcast, they had already disheartened so many gamers that grew up playing the Genesis, so most just waited for the PS2.

Cherish the most important things in life, your health & family.
Kevincal
Donor
United States
Awards: RFG Promoter

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:26:19 AM »

And to comment on your points:

1:  I would have never imagined even back in the late 90's that Sonic would be on a Nintendo system, and that it would be a watered down Sonic...How sad is that... 

2.  I've always thought the DC's graphics were super-polished looking.  Games like Soul Calibur, Daytona USA, and Sonic Adventure look so awesome.  No jaggies, just smooth as hell.

3.  Ya, they were, although I never really got into online gaming myself...

4.  Still don't own a GG, although I will be getting one eventually and have always heard good things about them.

5.  Yep.

6.  Yep.  (sorry..it's late..lol)

I chose the Genny over the SNES back in the early 90's and Sonic blew my mind back then and I became a Segaphile until about the launch of the Playstation.  (I chose the PS over the Saturn.)

Cherish the most important things in life, your health & family.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:25:12 AM »

I used to love sega as much as the next nerd, but I'm not sure if I want them to make another system. If they can't make good games for other systems, why could they make good games for their own? What great mind blowing games has sega released since the end of the dreamcast? I can't name a single one. Sure, they have some fun titles, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Also, your reasons don't sound logical to me at all. You're glorifying the past, as if that guarantees good games for a new sega console. Sega wasn't the first with a cd-rom drive. If there's one example of a gaming company not knowing where gaming was going, it was sega. They released the 32X, for god's sake! If they had known where gaming was going, they'd be leading the market now, instead of making b titles for other consoles. And if you think the dreamcast looks as good as the xbox, you're blind.
ganonbanned
Nintendo 64
United States
Awards: The RFG Kid

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 08:36:04 AM »

Everything that is true:
this is something that has been bugging the shit out of me for a while and i finally decided to put it into words. i am sure everyone has seen some thread about wanting sega to make a new system. but hear me out on this one, i have some logical reasons.

1. the words 'nintendo' and 'sonic' do not belong in the same sentence.

2. the dreamcast's graphics (i think) are remotely comparable to an xbox (not 360). the dreamcast ran on a windows processor and a few years later microsoft comes out with the xbox. hmmmmmm.

3. sega was the first to have online gaming.

5. sega has always been ahead of itself. they need to sit back down with the dreamcast and expand the horizons (i.e. dvd lens, high speed modem, etc.)

6. sega cd. not very popular but they had the right idea of where to go with technology. they knew where gaming was going.

thats the basics of whats been bugging me. i am not sure of how you feel but i think these are legit reasons for sega to get back on top of the gaming world. because sonic should never be on a nintendo system. thats like putting nixon on a $100 bill, its just not right. please share your thoughts on this, i would like to hear what people think.

everything except the game gear thing was true.  let me put it this way: The PSP is a modern game gear.  and i think the 32x is a great (and strange) system.  sure they were stupid to release it, but i still like it.
any modern sonic game sucks.  they are to short and nothing like the originals, every time they make a new game they just add blank the animal pal and throw in the 50 other animals.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:39:44 AM by ganonbanned » Logged
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 10:05:56 AM »

I used to love sega as much as the next nerd, but I'm not sure if I want them to make another system. If they can't make good games for other systems, why could they make good games for their own? What great mind blowing games has sega released since the end of the dreamcast? I can't name a single one. Sure, they have some fun titles, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Also, your reasons don't sound logical to me at all. You're glorifying the past, as if that guarantees good games for a new sega console. Sega wasn't the first with a cd-rom drive. If there's one example of a gaming company not knowing where gaming was going, it was sega. They released the 32X, for god's sake! If they had known where gaming was going, they'd be leading the market now, instead of making b titles for other consoles. And if you think the dreamcast looks as good as the xbox, you're blind.

I agree with this.

I am a big Sega fan but I don't think they should make a new system.

ganonbanned
Nintendo 64
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 10:18:27 AM »

hey did anybody else think xbox 360s controller is strangely similar to the DC?  (without the vmu)
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 10:39:56 AM »

hey did anybody else think xbox 360s controller is strangely similar to the DC?  (without the vmu)

I didnt.

ganonbanned
Nintendo 64
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »

I didnt.

nobody else i asked thought so, bought i did.  and i think sega should make a new system because i think that they would have learned from there mistakes not to release crap systems.i would wish atari would come back but they would have no 3rd party support and it would probly be the atari jaguar 2.

i also look at it as it could of happened to nintendo, hell, it STILL could happen to nintendo.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:32:14 PM by ganonbanned » Logged
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 02:13:22 PM »

The Dreamcast was not crap but Sega screwed themselves with the 32X and the Sega CD so no third party software companies wanted to make games for teh Saturn or DC.

RetroYoungen
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 03:01:28 PM »

The Dreamcast was not crap but Sega screwed themselves with the 32X and the Sega CD so no third party software companies wanted to make games for teh Saturn or DC.

Which is a real shame, since the Saturn and the DC could have been so much better than they have turned out to be.  I love my DC to death, and I've thoroughly enjoyed my Saturn library, but I would have liked to see the kind of first-party support that would encourage third parties to come on board.

Even still though, gotta love the gems that did come from third parties, Powerstone and Soul Caliber being the two biggest examples.

But I agree, Sega probably shouldn't make another console.  Unless possibly a new handheld that can "perfect" the Game Gear (better battery life, less LARGE, sharper screen, all that kind of jazz), because then they can create stuff a little bit more "old-school," which they're one of the best at.  I'd love to see something like that happen, and they might have enough still in them to pull it off.

But full-on console?  Don't think so.

Here is where the witty signature is supposed to go.
TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 04:42:36 PM »

all of you have good points. i can understand the idea of the psp being a modern gg. it slipped my mind when i wrote the post of the psp and its movie capabilities and nice clear screen. and someone mentioned  sega should do a new handheld. i dont think it would survive due top the psp and its popularity. id just like to see a new consol.
i think the dreamcast had a lot of good titles: power stone, soul calibur, marvel vs capcom 1 & 2, capcom vs snk, illbleed, sonic adventure, shenmue, and the list goes on.
atari jaguar 2........ most people dont associate new systems with atari (at least i dont). when someone says atari i think of pong.
i can understand people losing their faith in sega with the string of crappy add-ons. but i think the name sega alone is in everybodys minds that when they see a commercial and hear that sega scream and see a new consol is in the making that it would peak interrest.
i know they probably wont make another consol but i can still dream.

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 05:52:55 PM »

survive due top the psp and its popularity.

Are you forgetting the DS and GBA?

If Sega ever did make a new system they would have to become one of the top if not thee top software makers. Get people lovin their games and then make them exclusives to their new systems.

TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 06:18:31 PM »

i am really not impressed with the ds or gba. i think the backlight is dull and looks like a glorified gameboy color. i think they are inferior to the game gear. but the psp on the other hand i think is slick.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 07:29:31 PM »

due top the psp and its popularity. id just like to see a new consol
Last Week in Japan:
DSL 262,453
PSP 35,938
7.3 DS Lites sold for every PSP. Just wait until FFIII comes out

June US Sales
1.) Nintendo DS - 593,000 (+307%)
4.) PlayStation Portable - 221,000 (+39%)
Little more than 2:1.
PSP Popular?! Ha. The DS Prints Nintendo Money.

i am really not impressed with the ds or gba. i think the backlight is dull and looks like a glorified gameboy color.
I'd kill for a Blue DS Lite. My Cobalt GBAsp is sexy, and the new model GBAsp and DS Lite both have blindingly bright backlights.

Sega is a sad story, I would agree with most people when they say that the 3rd party Sega's games tend to be lackluster (exception to the rule-- Super Monkey Ball).  However, maybe the next generation will bring something new from Sega. New tools, new chances, perhaps the future is brighter when it comes to Sega's games.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 07:57:53 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length