RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:09:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Sales Extravaganza | * IMPORTANT READ EBAY SCAM * 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: * IMPORTANT READ EBAY SCAM *  (Read 4551 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: December 30, 2006, 10:09:04 AM »

I was actioning off a PS3 on ebay and a buyer used buy it now.  Well my auction states that I will only ship only to the US and this guy was from the UK.  Than the guy emails me this: Hi friend,
    I just came across your item off eBay and  I was looking for an exactly gift to a relative of mine. I hope that your item is as good in its condition as you have described at your auction off eBay. I will be sending it as a gift to a relative of mine that study abroad at the University Of Lagos, In Nigeria. So I will like you to get the cost(amount) for the shipment of this item to him in  IKEJA LAGOS STATE 100001.NIGERIA.As soon as you get the price for the shipment, please kindly get back to me, and add the amount to the cost of the item at eBay and sent it along with the invoice at paypal or eBay okay. So that I can direct the money to you either any means of payment. But I would prefer making the payment of this item via paypal, this is because it¢s the safest means of payment for an online transaction, and eBay has assured us for the using of paypal. Paypal protect both the buyer and the seller, so I will like you to send me your paypal email account so that I can direct the money to your account today okay. And remember that you are to ship the item via USPS GLOBAL EXPRESS MAIL, or EMS 3 to 5 business day for the delivering. This is because they are the safest and affordable means of shipment that I can afford.

Best Regards,

Rev.Eddie Bower.

So the clown now wants me to ship to Nigeria.  Red flags already started going up.  This clown created the account yesterday which is the day he bought it and has zero feedback with their feedback private.  Not only that but the guy isn't registered.  So I reported him.  This thing smells like a total scam!  So my wife did some investigation and came up with this: http://forums.ebay.co.uk/...ID=400126018&start=40 & http://dh.binkystick.com/index.php?end=1160506919 & http://answercenter.ebay....amp;forumID=2&start=0 & http://www.sciencesharewa...com/ebay/nigeria-scam.htm.  The same thing as what happened to me.  I'm sure with how Ebay is and doesn't back up there customer I won't get my money back from posting but at least I don't lose a $600.00 item.  I just want to warn you guys so you guys don't inadvertaly get scammed and send the item.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 11:00:46 AM by shaggy » Logged

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 06:57:55 PM »

Good info, Shaggy. Thanks.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 09:05:45 PM »

I think someone tried to pull this on Shin Evil Leon.

In anycase report the fucka!

When shall his new form be revealed?
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 11:35:06 AM »

Well, I ended doing the Ebay Live Chat and told them I was hit by the Nigeria scam.  They refunded 100% of my money because the buyer was no longer a registered member of Ebay.  I wonder what would have happened if he was still a registered member.  I'm sure Ebay would have screwed me somehow.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 02:50:20 PM »

Good catch

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 02:50:29 PM »

Sorry, double post

Rejinx
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 09:57:20 PM »

Thanks for the info Shaggy nod

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Rejinx[/img]
My Podcast: www.RetroRundown.com
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 09:22:13 AM »

I wonder what would have happened if he was still a registered member.  I'm sure Ebay would have screwed me somehow.
It would just take longer to get your final value fees back.  I think you need to wait 7 days before you can start an Unpaid Item process (unless buyer is no longer registered, then it's instant), and then another 8 days or so before you can select an option along the lines of "seller feels dropping contact is the only way to solve this dispute" and the buyer will subsequently get a strike and the seller will get their final value fees back. 

I've had people contact me quite a bit about setting up a partnership with them or shipping stuff to Nigeria...always a similar story with wanna-be business talk.  I've learned to ignore and refuse to deal with anyone claiming to be from Nigeria. 

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 09:30:08 AM »

that thing happens all the time here, they have a one very similar that they send out to ebay and peoples business saying they will over pay and get you to send them the rest of the money its all shite
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:32:00 AM by Alabama-Shrimp » Logged

two_scoop_steve
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »

Thanks for the Info

shannonrose86
Memorex VIS
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »

I had a very similar thing happen when I was selling my Acer laptop (@ end of October). It was from some guy in UK saying his son was abroad and studying architecture in Nigeria. He wanted me to end the listing early so he could buy it from me for like 600 bucks. I knew the thing wasn't even worth that much so I replied to him that this was an auction only. I knew it was a fraud he had no feed back and was also an unregistered member. I got an email later the same day from Ebay telling me not to sell to this person. I guess Ebay noticed I received an email from an unregistered member. (on a side not I did sell that comp successfully for like 400 bucks Grin). On another occasion while I was selling off some Batman figurines (around September). 2 separate buyers from Argentina, South America tried to pull the same thing. Ebay never sent me an email regarding these people about possible fraud. (I made over $300 on them though Smiley)

Shannon Rose
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length