RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:35:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | 7-year old dies unplugging his Game Boy. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 7-year old dies unplugging his Game Boy.  (Read 1124 times)
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« on: January 05, 2007, 04:27:42 PM »

http://www.gamespot.com/n...ml?tag=latestnews;title;2

All I can say is, wow. That is probably one of the most depressing stories I have heard in a while, and not just related to videogames. The whole scenario just seems so innocent. He had so much of his life ahead of him.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 05:14:28 PM »

They must have some powerful outlets in Thailand because I've touched the prong while unplugging something when I was younger, probably not much older than 7. And it didn't even hurt, just tingled and scared the hell out of me. Unless maybe it cause a heart attack in this kid or something. 

Anyway, that really sucks for his family.  Cry

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:27:02 PM »

That is terrible.

Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 05:37:56 PM »

Not sure which is worse, having someone to blame or having no one to blame.  Either way a child is dead long before he should have.  Truely a tragic thing.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 06:09:02 PM »

Poor guy. Condolences to the Family.

They must have some powerful outlets in Thailand because I've touched the prong while unplugging something when I was younger, probably not much older than 7. And it didn't even hurt, just tingled and scared the hell out of me. Unless maybe it cause a heart attack in this kid or something. 

Because Japan and the US Modernized before the rest of the world in terms of adoption of electricity we use a less inefficient, 120V Outlet. Had people in the US and Japan not owned large appliances in the 50s and 60s we probably would have the same voltage found throughout the world. There was a movement to change to 240V in the US but the cost of replacing existing appliances was deemed to be too high. As such, Power Generation and Transmission in North America and Japan is no where near as efficient as it is in Europe. So, in theory, you can be shocked with twice as much power in most of the world than you can in North America or Japan. SFS is an electrical engineer in training (frightening, I know), perhaps he could indulge more about service voltages.

Hello World.
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 02:32:10 AM »

I once shocked myself really bad while plugging in a TV with my hands wet.   My index, middle finger, and thumb were completely black.  Never made that mistake again.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 02:58:33 AM »

Poor guy. Condolences to the Family.

Because Japan and the US Modernized before the rest of the world in terms of adoption of electricity we use a less inefficient, 120V Outlet. Had people in the US and Japan not owned large appliances in the 50s and 60s we probably would have the same voltage found throughout the world. There was a movement to change to 240V in the US but the cost of replacing existing appliances was deemed to be too high. As such, Power Generation and Transmission in North America and Japan is no where near as efficient as it is in Europe. So, in theory, you can be shocked with twice as much power in most of the world than you can in North America or Japan. SFS is an electrical engineer in training (frightening, I know), perhaps he could indulge more about service voltages.

Power generation and transmission happens at the kV level around the world, electricity is only 120V very close to the home. 

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length