RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:27:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Akumajo or Akumajou? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Which way is the proper way to translate Castlevania from Japanese, Akumajo or Akumajou?
It's spelled Akumajo dumbass.   -3 (23.1%)
Akumajou is the correct spelling. You didn't know?   -6 (46.2%)
I don't give a shit. Either way it's all Castlevania to me.   -4 (30.8%)
Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Akumajo or Akumajou?  (Read 2257 times)
Dev1anc3
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:16:02 PM »

Well, I've been submiting alot of over seas Castlevania titles to the RFGen data base, and it occured to me, that all across the internet, people use either "Akumajo" or "Akumajou" to translate Castlevania from Japanese to English, and me being the Castlevania Collector/Correct Speller I am was wondering...   which one is it?

On Google I bring up 61,500 results for "Akumajo", and 61,900 "Akumajou", so they are both used pretty evenly it seems. If I had my pick, I'd say "Akumajou", simply because it looks better, but either way I think after this is resolved (if it is resolved), all of the listings in the database should be changed to the winner, and I'll from here on out use the "proper" spelling. Wink

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:19:07 PM »

I have no clue. Like you said just have all the ones in the database the same.

Dev1anc3
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 06:07:05 AM »

I did a serch on the Wikipedia, and brought up results from both spellings, but brought up alot more results for "Akumajou" than "Akumajo". To make things even more confusing, I also noticed that on MAME they have the Japanese version of Haunted Castle (Arcade Castlevania) listed as "Akuma-jou Dracula"...   joy.

AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 06:23:46 AM »

Japanese titles are great aren't they.

Every time a Japanese title is submitted I always check around to make sure it is the correct Japanese name and not mispelt or some mish-mash translation. The results you get are always amazingly varied. Words in different orders, spelling variations and sometimes the inability to find the title at all.

For what its worth I'll try and keep everything as linear as possible for the database entries.
JWKobayashi
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »

I don't think either are necessarily incorrect.  It just depends on the translator.  Do we have any Japanese speakers / readers / writers here?

[img width=350 height=19]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/JLateralus.gif[/img]
eternalblue81
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 06:01:51 PM »

I'm pretty sure it would be Akumajou. Generally I've found that Japanese words with "ou" many times in English translations have the "u" removed, probably so English speakers unfamiliar with Japanese will be more likely to pronouce it "oh" than like "ou" in "out" or "through". The "u" is pretty important though, and affects translation in Japanese. It elongates the "o" sound, which essentially could make it a different word in Japanese. If it were only Akumajo, I don't think the ou variation would show up anywhere at all.
Dev1anc3
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 09:24:05 AM »

I'm pretty sure it would be Akumajou. Generally I've found that Japanese words with "ou" many times in English translations have the "u" removed, probably so English speakers unfamiliar with Japanese will be more likely to pronouce it "oh" than like "ou" in "out" or "through". The "u" is pretty important though, and affects translation in Japanese. It elongates the "o" sound, which essentially could make it a different word in Japanese. If it were only Akumajo, I don't think the ou variation would show up anywhere at all.

That's a very good explanation. That would indeed make sense.

Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 03:10:05 PM »

I don't think either are necessarily incorrect.  It just depends on the translator.  Do we have any Japanese speakers / readers / writers here?
*raises hand*

So, yeah, it's Akumajou (or, if you romanize differently, Akumajoo, which could be where those other romanizations come from). At least, that's what every Japanese site I checked is telling me.
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 09:28:26 PM »

I'm not exactly sure where either matter as both could be considered properly translated.  I'd say once it's agreed on the least should be a variation title though.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 12:28:03 AM »

DDR Ultramix 3 has a song called Akumajo Dracula Medley performed by Kukeihakurabu.  I guess you could consider that a translation from Konami.  My vote hardly counts because I hardly know anything about the Japanese language, both turn out a hard 'o' and I agree with the others that the 'ou' draws out the sound longer and seems correct.

it's thinking
Lenneth
N-Gage
Australia

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 06:24:30 AM »

I vote for choosing one and then linking one to the other. That way its all in one place and more accurately reflects the total number of gamers with that game. ^_^
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length