RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:01:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Protecting the collection for a year. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Protecting the collection for a year.  (Read 1187 times)
Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« on: January 19, 2007, 03:03:29 PM »

Well, it's pretty much been decided (not guaranteed, but it's very possible) that from March 2008 to February 2009 I'll be heading to Japan as a foreign exchange student (in a Japanese high school for a year! yeah!). My problem is, though, I'm wondering how my game collection would stand up to being almost untouched for a year. My siblings would probably play a bit during that time, but nowhere near as often as I play.

So how would I go about keeping it safe till I get back?
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 03:09:42 PM »

Plastic totes and keep the siblings away form it.

JWKobayashi
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 12:24:15 AM »

I agree with the plastic containers. That's how I store the majority of my stuff now anyways.  Keeps it nice and fresh. Smiley

[img width=350 height=19]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/JLateralus.gif[/img]
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 06:21:53 AM »

For protecting your collection, what's been said is great advice.  I do it as well and it works fine.  One thing also to cover is that your parents know you do want the stuff when you return just as much as you currently do.  Sometimes parents forget this and decide their kids dont need all those old games anymore.  Be polite, but let them know you would apreciate it if they kept the games safe.  Keep your siblings away from them definitly unless they are shared game systems in which case your just SOL.  If you have any particular favorites or just valuable titles, keep them seperate from the majority and leave them in a safe location such as the top of a closet, in a dresser drawer, in a shoe box somewheres, but dont forget where you left them.

As to going to Japan, get ready for a culture shock.  Learn the J-rail, get good walking shoes, and remember to make a few friends along the way.  It'll take some getting used to, but if you go with an open mind and the will to explore the culture, you'll have the time of your life and something you will doubtfully ever forget.

I wish I was in your shoes BTW.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 11:24:19 AM »

Alright, plastic stuff, talk to parents, hide pwnsome stuff... I figure I'll make a separate container for games / systems my siblings CAN play whilst I'm gone (you know, more recent stuff that would be easier to replace if ruined).

Thanks for the tips, all.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length