RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:20:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | Football (soccer) Player Identification Quiz 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Football (soccer) Player Identification Quiz  (Read 9766 times)
AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« on: January 23, 2007, 11:33:23 AM »

After the revelation from the David Beckham thread that Americans don't know any other players than Pele and Alexi Lalas Cheesy, I've decided, for Tynstars pleasure, to begin the ultra educational "History of Football Quiz".

I'll post a new player when I get to work, and we'll see if you can manage to solve which player from footballing history I've selected for the day. Also let the Americans have a try before all the Europeans jump in.

I won't choose any bizarre players, and all would be pretty recognizable to footy fans.

So on to todays selection:

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:52:23 AM »

No clue. Have to ask my Mexican coworker.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 05:39:41 PM »

You could've posted a bigger picture, you can't even see the logo on his chest. I'm not sure wether he's German or English. If he's german I know who he is (THE BASTARD!), but if he's English I would have no idea.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 06:44:49 PM »

Who is it?

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:45:32 PM »

I wouldn't be able to recognize star football players here, how the hell would I recognize soccer players from Europe?

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:49:21 AM »

It's Franz "Der Kaiser" Beckenbauer, and the picture is from after the 1974 world cup, which the Germans won. Undeserved, of course.
AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 04:23:14 AM »

You are correct Mark, and I thought you wouldn't like him too much. Smiley Here's a selected bio taken from wiki :

Twice selected the European Footballer of the Year, he appeared 103 times for the West Germany national team and played in three World Cups. He lifted the World Cup trophy as captain in 1974, and repeated the feat as a manager in 1990. With the club Bayern Munich, he won three consecutive European Cups from 1974 to 1976, and went on to become coach and president of the institution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Beckenbauer

Here's the next one, surely people must have heard of him, he had quite a famous turn Wink

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:52:45 AM »

As a dutchman I have to say that this is the most famous person from the Netherlands ever. Of course not in the USA, but everywhere else he is. I went to Poland, told someone I'm from the Netherlands and they would say this guy's name. My brother went to Ecuador, where most people don't even know where the Netherlands are, but they all knew him.

He's known for his soccer abilities, his coaching abilities and also his manner of speaking. I suppose that, in that respect, you could compare him to that one american baseball player that said those strikingly obvious things. I think it was babe ruth, but I'm not sure.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 11:06:32 AM »

No clue.....

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:07:56 AM »

I don't know that Babe Ruth ever coached. 
The guy that had a way with words was Yogi Berra.  He did play and coach, and did both quite well.  He would be a good analog to this fellow three posts above.  (At least by Arr's description.)

Oddly enough, this man was linked to in the thread about Yogi Berra. Don't know if they are the same person, the two pictures don't line up to well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruijff

edit: tynstar posted while I was writing, so I had to change the number of posts.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:09:39 AM by Hydrobond » Logged

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 11:24:26 AM »

You are correct Hydrobond it is indeed Johan Cruyff. One of the greatest players ever to grace the field for the beautiful game.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:33:18 AM »

The Phantom Goal was pretty nice.

BTW now that I now his name I still have never heard of him or the first guy in this thread. I do like this thread though.

AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 12:13:15 PM »

Here's another one to be getting on with seeing Hydrobond answered the last one. Again he's another footballing great, and has one of the greatest footballing nicknames ever:

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 12:23:31 PM »

^Thats's gotta be Pele.  (Sorry, no accents.)

edit: btw, smart move rehosting the images. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:25:28 PM by Hydrobond » Logged

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 12:24:13 PM »

You really should post colored photos.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length