RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:51:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | All-Pro Football 2K8... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: All-Pro Football 2K8...  (Read 3351 times)
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« on: February 02, 2007, 12:05:49 PM »

Word is out that All-Pro Football 2K8 will be released this summer by 2K Games to compete with Madden '08.

Imo, ESPN NFL 2K5 is still the best football game on the market, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the same developer release a new football game.

Ever since EA got 5 year NFL exclusivity, they've pretty much bought out any competition. So football fans have been pretty much forced into a "Take it orleave it" situation.

What 2K is doing with their new game is actually getting retired pro football players to allow their names and likenesses to be put into the game. This is BIG news! If you'll notice, in a Madden game, if you try to play a classic team, you don't have those player names or likenesses because there's a lot of work in getting every former NFL football player to agree to it. Each person has to individually sign a contract agreeing to this...and therefore a lot of work is needed. 2K is actually doing this and over the last 2 years has gotten a LOT of these former players on board.

As someone that has always liked football games, but is boycotting the Madden series because of the NFL exclusivity bullshit, I'm definitely looking forward to what 2K has coming up.

Thoughts?

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:13:18 PM »

That sounds really cool. I might get it just because I think what EA did was bullshit.

Doesn't 2k have exclusive rights to MLB?

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 01:22:51 PM »

I think you're right that 2K has MLB exclusivity. But no one makes a big deal about it because football has pretty much overtaken baseball as our national pastime.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 02:56:24 PM »

I think you're right that 2K has MLB exclusivity. But no one makes a big deal about it because football has pretty much overtaken baseball as our national pastime.

Yeah that's true. I think the only other big deal would be a NBA game.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 07:54:37 PM »

Here's an interview with one of the developers:

http://www.gamespot.com/p...convert&click=topslot

shoes23
Legendary AFK'er
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:54:39 AM »

Wasn't there a clause in all of these agreements that allowed first-party publishers to still us the licenses (i.e. MLB 06: The Show)?  I wonder why Sony or Microsoft hasn't tried to get into the football market? 

2K5 was good in the presentation department, but seriously flawed with quirks and glitches in the gameplay.  Madden is still the best, but could use a major update in the presentation department (at least in the PS2 version of Madden 07 there isn't even a pregame, the game just loads and shows the team captains getting ready to call the toss). 

I'm a huge sports game fan, but they only 2K series that I've ever felt has been superior to all others the NBA 2K series.  Their baseball franchise is pathetic, football was good but could use improvement, and hockey topped EA for a year before NHL 04 started to straighten things out.

As for the game, I'm looking forward to bowling over some defenders with the mighty Bo Jackson.  Although now he'll be running for some team named the Swashbucklers.

www.questmarker.net
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/shoes23.png[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 10:44:16 AM »

I thought NBA, NHL and NFL 2K were better then the EA games for a few years.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 12:11:33 PM »

Football games are 'tarded.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 12:12:56 PM »

Wasn't there a clause in all of these agreements that allowed first-party publishers to still us the licenses (i.e. MLB 06: The Show)?  I wonder why Sony or Microsoft hasn't tried to get into the football market?
I'm certain there was one for the MLB license, but I think as far as the NFL goes, it's EA all the way.

And by the way, Tynstar and phoenix1967, EA did not buy out the NFL rights. The NFL is the one that decided to give the video game to one developer, and they decided to approach EA about getting exclusive rights. They could have just as easily asked 2K to do it. EA is not the bad guy here, the NFL is.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 01:15:59 PM »

Why would the NFL limit it to one developer? I thought EA asked them and just threw a lot of money at them. Either way EA still blows now.

Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 07:58:57 PM »

Football games are 'tarded.

Agreed

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 06:25:24 PM »

Madden has competition again...

http://www.2ksports.com/games/football2k8/

I just read the article about it in Game Informer as well. Pretty sweet!

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 06:36:17 PM »

Depending on the price I might give this game a shot even though I haven't played a football game since 2K on teh Dreamcast.  Screw you EA!

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 08:52:13 PM »

Unfortunately it looks like a full priced title $59.99.

And it's better than buying Madden. I'm still boycotting it at least until the NFL-exclusive thing is over.

It's looking like it's going to be worth it, though. We'll see.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 01:04:48 AM »

Great news. I might even consider getting it just to give them a sale against EA.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length