RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 09:29:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration Archives | Weekly Poll 3/11/07 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Do you think video games have adverse affects on our children?
Yes, they will repeat what they see in video games in real life.   -3 (12.5%)
No, bad parenting is the reason why kids are breaking the law.   -21 (87.5%)
Jack Thompson anyone?   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Weekly Poll 3/11/07  (Read 3270 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:18:49 PM »

Do video games affect the way our children are?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 03:16:14 PM »

Most likely. But then you could blame it on the parents for letting them play violent games when they're not old enough.

Young people can be very impressionable. When I was six I saw Goofy on TV practising to swim by lying on a chair and making swimming movements. During a school lesson while the teacher was talking I randomly laid down on the chair and made swimming movements. Children grow out of that eventually but if all their friends are talking about killing prostitutes and stealing cars in video games, there are going to be some that take it a step further. Young people would probably say they aren't influenced by a lot of things but the chances are they are. It could be subtle, like swearing a bit more because there's so much casual swearing on TV. Or it could be more blatant, like learning how to punch from fight videos on t'internet, leading to wanting to go out and start a fight.

There are so many variables that it's impossible to pinpoint a few certain things that have lead to the degeneration of society.
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 03:18:18 PM »

Wow, I'm kind of between yes and no. I believe some kids will mimic what they see, but not all. I'm a prime example... I've never tried to ride my stone unicycle while swinging my club at things. Of course, I have played lots of strip mahjong.  :embarassed:

Slowly building an ammo fort.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »

Hellz naw.

It's me.

Seriously though, no. I think it's a lack of things to do. I, for instance, went to a roller rink last night and it was so lame I just wanted to start shooting up heroine and attacking cops. Damn kids should be out in the fields breaking their backs, not sitting in front of a TV.

Now I'm gonna go watch TV.

When shall his new form be revealed?
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »

I'm a true believer of "you are a product of your raising". Basically just meaning however you were raised is how you will turn out in life.

I played all kinds of video games as a kid, and my friends and I use to play guns ALL the time out in the woods. ( Play rifles, handguns, revolvers, etc. ) And I don't even own a gun now. And have barely ever shot a real firearm.

Your parents ( 95 % of the time ) are to blame in one way or another.
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 01:11:55 AM »

People are responsible for their own actions. I think special intrest groups use video games as a excuse to rape money from the goverment.

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 02:09:17 AM »

I can't vote because
Yes, they will repeat what they see in video games in real life. YES
and
No, bad parenting is the reason why kids are breaking the law. YES
and
Jack Thompson anyone? WHO?

I agree completely with James on this.
Parents should NOT let their kids near these games, but it's not just games (movies, tv, music,etc). Hell, who knows when the day may come I decide to mimic Splatterhouse and put on a ice hockey mask ,and get myself a chainsaw haha.
Nope, it's not going to happen, but it also proves that we are responsible for our own actions, but a heavy influence is avery bad thing. I try not to swear all the time, but it's tricky when at work everyones second sentence has a swear word. But I have little brother to think about at home. So it's a mix of all of the above.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:13:03 AM by Cobra Blade » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 01:09:45 PM »

It is all parenting!

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 02:54:53 PM »

I guess another problem is we have kids having kids these days  Undecided

Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 07:11:36 PM »

It is ridiculous to claim that computer games affect children. If Pac-Man had affected children in the eighties, then today we would have lots of young people, runnning around in dark rooms, eating pills and listening to monotonous music...

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »

I agree with the above points that parenting is to blame.  These various groups want something to blame for these school shootings, etc. and this all goes back to bad parenting.  Just because I play GTA it does not mean I will go shoot people or steal cars.  The parents need to be held accountable to teach there children what is right and wrong and not rely on TV and video games.  Do you see any of us breaking the law from playing our video games when we were younger?  Parents need to be held accountable and the Jack Thompson and those other groups need to point the blame where it should be pointed..... on parents and the offending party themselves.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 03:49:41 PM »

I don't think you can entirely shift the blame from videogames to parents. Sure, we on here haven't turned into murderers or whatever from vieogames, but as I said, children can be very impressionable. Most children could be fine with a certain level of violence in games but there are always a few who take it too far or just too literally. Those are the ones who are likely to make it into the news, or turn into general riff-raff.

Videogames aren't the only things corrupting society, just as parenting isn't the only thing.
Kevincal
Donor
United States
Awards: RFG Promoter

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 07:02:17 PM »

PARENTS!

Cherish the most important things in life, your health & family.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 07:45:42 PM »

You can't just blame parenting. Especially nowadays when kids are in school more than with their parents. It's society as a whole.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 03:53:20 AM »

It is ridiculous to claim that computer games affect children. If Pac-Man had affected children in the eighties, then today we would have lots of young people, runnning around in dark rooms, eating pills and listening to monotonous music...

Oh and don't get me started about Mario and his magic mushrooms haha  laugh

Society is indeed to blame, just look at what kids are exposed to on free to air TV early mornings in music clips alone.
Both parents and the society around us needs a serious shakeup.

I did however finally vote, and it was the parents.
Ever sinc% Nintendo claimed Night Trap was a game with real life graphics that you go around trying to rape a bunch of young girls SEGA introduced the video game rating system so regardless of content in a game the wrong audience should not be exposed to it.

Stores and parents must follow the age guidelines and not look at a game as something harmless, as it has just as much impact as any movie or song on children.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length