RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:33:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Manhunt 2 Denied UK and Irish Release 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Manhunt 2 Denied UK and Irish Release  (Read 8353 times)
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« on: June 19, 2007, 10:41:47 AM »

http://www.computerandvid...com/article.php?id=166215

The BBFC has rejected Manhunt 2 on PS2 and Wii, the ratings board has revealed, meaning that the sequel "cannot be legally supplied anywhere in the UK".

We've called Rockstar several times but have yet been unable to contact anyone.

According to the BBFC, the decision to refuse the game a rating was taken by the Director and the Presidential Team of Sir Quentin Thomas, Lord Taylor of Warwick and Janet Lewis-Jones.

Under the terms of the Video Recordings Act, distributors have the right to appeal the Board's decision.

David Cooke, Director of the BBFC said:

"Rejecting a work is a very serious action and one which we do not take lightly. Where possible we try to consider cuts or, in the case of games, modifications which remove the material which contravenes the Board's published Guidelines. In the case of Manhunt 2 this has not been possible. Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game.

"Although the difference should not be exaggerated the fact of the game's unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying and the sheer lack of alternative pleasures on offer to the gamer, together with the different overall narrative context, contribute towards differentiating this submission from the original Manhunt game. That work was classified '18' in 2003, before the BBFC's recent games research had been undertaken, but was already at the very top end of what the Board judged to be acceptable at that category.

"Against this background, the Board's carefully considered view is that to issue a certificate to Manhunt 2, on either platform, would involve a range of unjustifiable harm risks, to both adults and minors, within the terms of the Video Recordings Act, and accordingly that its availability, even if statutorily confined to adults, would be unacceptable to the public."

Check back for updates this afternoon but be sure to join the debate below.

Update: NGamer magazine has reviewed the Wii version, giving it 92%. Hit this link to read exclusive excerpts. Update out

Update 2: The Irish Film Censor's Office has also banned the release of Manhunt 2.

"A prohibition order has been made by IFCO in relation to the video game Manhunt 2. The Order was made on 18th June 2007 under Sec 7 (1) (b) of the Video Recordings Act 1989 which refers to 'acts of gross violence or cruelty (including mutilation and torture)'.

"IFCO recognizes that in certain films, DVDs and video games, strong graphic violence may be a justifiable element within the overall context of the work. However, in the case of Manhunt 2, IFCO believes that there is no such context, and the level of gross, unrelenting and gratuitous violence is unacceptable." Update 2 out

That's the only videogame I can think of that's been flat out denied release here. I can think of some games that have had to be edited in order to be released, but none that weren't allowed a release at all. I didn't really enjoy the first Manhunt anyway, so it's not a big loss personally.

Before we get a string of posts saying "Videogames don't cause violent behaviour", you should realise violent crime in the UK is going up and violent videogames add to the culture of it all. They may not be a direct cause of violent behaviour but it does contribute in a way.

I think censorship is good to a certain degree. Where does the line get drawn, though? How is wilfully controlling a fictional character to brutally kill another any different to a bit of the ol' fictional child molestation? It's all against the law and all morally wrong.

I'm not entirely against violent games because after all, it's not real. But there are always some people who need to be accounted for and that's why we have censorship.
Tan
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:20:04 AM »

Tthere's fantasy and imagination in games but this is just an excuse to commit brutality for entertainment value. It's like making a date rape expansion for "The Sims", no creative, artistic value to it whatsoever and Rockstar knows it.

Using the wii's controls for a game like this is just like choking and tearing at someone with your bare hands. I can think of better ways to immerse myself with hand-on gameplay than that. Maybe in the third one they'll promote spousal abuse and sexual assault. Maybe even an in-game ad about the importance of beating your kids into submission when they misbehave.  Roll Eyes

I can't help to think how people will view the wii after this game comes out. The grotesque nature of the killings with the gore, cries for mercy and massive amounts of blood, I just don't get how that's entertaining. The fact that there is a sequel and a market for this stuff is disturbing enough without seeing a company happily cater to it. There's an obvious reason snuff films are illegal. Is this the new medium to sidestep those pesky laws and morality issues?

Sure changes the "family fun" images doesn't it? Cuddle up with your significant other or your grandparents and rip someone's eye out. Bring some friends over and beat someone with a crowbar while they beg for mercy in full surround sound until they are just a greasy wet spot on the floor. Good times, good times LOL.

You Nintendo Wii owners wanted 3rd party support, well here it is, enjoy.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:05:32 PM »

You have some good points Keith but still why not give it the highest rating possible so hardly any stores can carry it? At least that way it is still released.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:17:45 PM by Tynstar » Logged

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:15:22 PM »

You have some good points Keith but still why not give it the highest rating possible so hardly any stores can carry it?

The highest rating we have is "18" for 18 years old. Just like GTA, Gears of War, Dead Rising etc. And yet I see them in every shop selling games. Age ratings don't change whether a shop can sell it or not.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 12:18:52 PM »

You have some good points Keith but still why not give it the highest rating possible so hardly any stores can carry it?

The highest rating we have is "18" for 18 years old. Just like GTA, Gears of War, Dead Rising etc. And yet I see them in every shop selling games. Age ratings don't change whether a shop can sell it or not.

I see. Over here we have an "AO" rating and if a game gets that hardly any stores will carry it.

Tan
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »

Should snuff films be sold in stores as long as they have a "Adults Only" rating?
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 12:23:03 PM »

Should snuff films be sold in stores as long as they have a "Adults Only" rating?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0134273/

Tan
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 12:27:18 PM »

http://imdb.com/title/tt0134273/

That's a film about snuff films not a live taped killing or a murder simulator, hence it's "R" rating.  Tongue
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 12:31:37 PM »

True enough but is a video game is real? How can you compare the two?

You want to compare murdering someone and filming it with murdering people in a video game.

Tan
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 12:36:30 PM »

True enough but is a video game is real? How can you compare the two?

You want to compare murdering someone and filming it with murdering people in a video game.

There's a difference between playing Call of Duty and winning the war versus murdering for enjoyment or torture for the entertainment of yourself and others. I guess it's all in the approach. Would burnout be the same if you had to do missions where you ran down school children crossing the street or Command and Conquer if you had to commit genocide towards a group of civilians on top of warfare? Would they still be respectable tasteful games?

I really think there are limits to free speech and expression using media.
Tan
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 12:42:57 PM »

Especially given the fact that the Wii is very hands on. You'll be sticking your arms out to choke someone to death, or swinging a baseball bat or stabbing with a knife. Reach out and twist your wrist with the nunchuk as you gore someone's eye out. Imagine that in your living room.  Tongue

Feel the rumble as the blade bounces off someone's skull lol
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »

Of course they wouldn't be as good but it is MY choice to play them. I agree with you Rockstar is making this game just to push buttons. This game is bad for video games IMO. But I don't want my government to tell me if I can buy it or not.

Tan
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 12:59:27 PM »

I agree that the governement shouldn't be involved. The games industry itself should tend to these things, discourage projects like this from starting a new gaming trend that explores the darkest parts of our humanity. Not sure how but it should be a artistic agreement amongst developers. If even one of these games get's into the hands on children on the wii the youtube vids of it will be worse than anything anyone has ever seen, as bad as kids in Iraq carrying AK's.

At least the kids in Iraq are fighting for something, not just killing for pleasure and recreation.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 01:07:13 PM »

I agree with you but all the controversy will help sell the game. A great example of that are the adult games for the 2600 they didn't sell well at all. Then they released Custer's Revenge and it had a lot of controversy and it sold 2-3 times more then the other games.

Tan
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 01:14:40 PM »

I have no doubt it will sell well, and that's really sad. It's been my experience that mostly teens played the first one regardless of rating. It could actually push Wii's into the hands of Playstation fans.

Use the same engine, no need for a serious story or character backgrounds, just come up with some waggle and people will be talking about it right up to when GTA comes out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length