RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:24:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | The Good Video Game Store Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: The Good Video Game Store Thread  (Read 110582 times)
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »

Since it's directly related to the subject of this post, I thought I'd mention GamerSpots.com (via Duke.Togo)

It's a great idea, if you know a cool game store, LAN center, or arcade, you can add it to their database.  When you travel, check Gamer Spots to see if there are any cool spots nearby.

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »

New game store in Gainesville, Fl called Gamers HQ.  They have locations in Belleview and Inverness Fl too.  They seem alright, dealing in Atari 2600 thru modern consoles.  I bought a copy of SimEarth for $3 on the SNES. The guy working said they also do Magic and WarHammer tournaments.  Along with R.U. Game, this makes 2 retro stores in Gainesville!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »

A fellow collector opened up a store in Mascotte, FL called Cybertron Video Games. He used to have a stand in the Sanford Flea Market, but rent was too high and he moved to a brick-and-mortar store. He tends to have stock of all types, and he'll be more than happy to talk to you about his Jaguar collection. Grin

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »

Worlds Game Store
South Highland Drive  Salt Lake city utah 84106
801 486 1442
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2012, 09:37:15 PM »

I see I called it the wrong name again. So when Youtube fixes it's editing to beng back online I will add annotations
Nightowljrm
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »

People Play Games in Chicago, TN
Borderland Games in Texarkana, TX
GameXchange in Texarkana, TX is decent
GameXchange in Little Rock, AR
GameXchange in Shreveport, LA is meh
Disc Replay in Decatur, IL
jansolee66
Donor

Stats
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 05:35:33 PM »

I thought my area (Ottawa, Ontario) was completely devoid of retro stores (outside of the chain stores). Then, someone in Gatineau (just across the Quebec border) opened a store devoted to retro gaming called "Jeux et Plus". The game prices were a bit high, but systems were actually pretty reasonably priced (i.e., SNES, Sega Genesis, NES, Sega Master System were all priced in the $35-50 range). And if you were willing to dig, there were some reasonable prices on games (i.e., I got a pristine CIB RoboWarrior for $5. It's not a rare game by any means but $5 for any good condition CIB NES game is pretty good).

I then saw an online advertisement for a game seller in a flea market just outside of town (Stittsville). I went there thinking it was going to be a store filled with 360 and PS3 games with 1 shelf devoted to loose NES/SNES/Genesis titles. Boy was I wrong. The store was everything I had been wishing for since starting my collection and more. It's only a 12' x 10' room but it has high ceilings and it's packed with amazing retro stuff. I've actually had better luck finding rare stuff there, than common stuff (though there is plenty common stuff there). Some of the rare stuff he has are: Bubble Bath Babes, Snow Bros, Earthbound, multiple copies of Castlevania Dracula X, etc. I know for a fact he has a CIB Vectrex (sold it to him). I think his store would be a completionist's dream. Small ticket items are often priced cheap. Big ticket items are marked at close to retail (but I haven't really seen too many that were above retail, which is good). Apparently, he also has a store in Belleville called the "P Market" where he has a lot more stock too.
ProjectG.U.E.S.T.
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »

Game Trader (Saint Charles)
2 Hawks Nest Plz
*vintage gaming/imoprts*

I know you just pulled this from a list, but I really really cannot recommend this place. He does have a good selection of imports, but it's run by one guy who keeps odd hours, smokes in the store, and marks prices up for people he arbitrarily decides he doesn't like. He'll also glare at you the whole time you're n the shop. The place is generally a huge mess and smells awful, and because of the aforementioned smoking, there's kind of a funky patina on all the products.

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »

A new store has opened in my small town of Keystone Heights, Fl.  Its called Games n Electronics.  The 2 guys there have been open for about 6 weeks, but still don't have prices or everything entered in their system.  Today I took some dupe n64 games to them because the other place I go to had enough copies of them already and wouldn't take anymore.  for Episode 1 Racer and 4 sports titles, I thought $6 was a fair price to give me for trade.  Then I saw what was in the locked display case.  Bomberman 2: Second Assault on N64!  I looked around a bit at other stuff talking to the guy and then "found" Bomberman again and was talking about how I loved playing this when I was younger.  How I spent who knows how many nights up to late playing with my friends..etc etc.  Unfortunately it was one of the games that hadn't been entered in their system so the guy couldn't sell it to me.  That's why they were locked up.   He doesn't seem to know to much about the value of certain games but his partner does.  I'm hoping to get a good deal on it when they get it into their system, but I have a feeling his partner is gonna ruin my big deal. 
Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »

Game Over Video Games based in Texas, as a whole, might be fairly good.  Yeah, I'm sort of going out on a limb here, but one of their Austin stores was voted “Best Video Game Store” for three years in a row by the Austin Chronicle (wow, how MANY game stores are there in Austin?!).  They've been around for seven years now, have gaming contests, an online store, accept trade-ins, etc.  They're in the following cities:

Austin
Houston
Round Rock
San Antonio
San Marcos
Sunset Valley

I first got to know of them when they rented a booth at a local gaming expo I usually attend every year (which was last November).  They were actively cleaning games and selling stuff.  Months later I was able to check out their store here in town (it's pretty far for me to go and I only have spotty transportation throughout the year).  Atari 2600 commons are like $1.99, which is a bit much, but other prices seem reasonable.  Everything's nicely grouped together via platform and consoles are in displays.  They have all kinds of stuff too (at the time I was there, at least), as I don't recall seeing a TI-994/a game anywhere except for back in the day when they were sold!  They sell all kinds of stuff too, like gaming t-shirts, game-related dvds, tie-in products (some kind of Pac-Man cola or something) and loose manuals and all.  I brought in several 2600 games and a boxed Vectrex game, being surprised at getting $23 store credit (although I'm sure the boxed Vectrex game helped), which I got a really cool Space Invaders shirt and several bucks back cash for that Smiley They also have a coin-op either Ghouls and Ghosts or Ghosts and Goblins in the back (didn't notice if it was set on free play though), along with a museum of consoles with cards telling of the system name, date released, etc.  A bit of a unique place!

Some stores also do repairs too but the Houston one didn't, at least not when I went, as I asked since I have a couple of games that need fixing.  Hopefully they'll have this fixed at some point, as well as a closer location to me.  The lady there also said it was buy three (or maybe it was only two) games and get one free day; don't know if that's every Friday or what.

I'd give the store a B overall; definitely worth looking into if you're in Texas, and they're expanding some more right now.

http://www.gameovervideogames.com/

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »

We Got Game
1140 Riverfront Dr
Mankato, MN

https://www.facebook.com/wegotgamestore

We just got a new independent game store in town.  They carry whatever is in stock at the time, and have excellent customer service.  Their store policies are wildly different than GameStop or Game Central (a MN retro-games chain).

1)  Trade-ins are always at a set rate.  Trade for cash at 40% their sale value.  Trade for store credit at 60%.  Always.
2)  Buy-two-get-one.  Always.
3)  Try before you buy.  You can sample anything in house.  They've got a cozy setup that could even accommodate a small LAN party.

Prices aren't as steep as GameCentral (which blows ebay away), but they're certainly no garage sale or thrift store either.  Here's some of my comments (beyond the stellar store policies already mentioned).

Pros:
  • New titles are automatically $5 lower than the competitor (GameStop).
  • Current-gen used titles are generally cheaper.
  • Stock changes frequently.
  • They carry retro consoles too.  Whatever get on trade-ins.
  • Rare items get featured on their daily facebook post.
  • Excellent customer service and shopping experience.  Talkative employees, and OCRemix sets the mood.

Cons:
  • Stock changes frequently.
  • Mostly newer stock.

Just like the thrifts and pawns, you gotta check regularly if you want to dig up anything special.  Overall, its a good experience and gives me an outlet to dump some loose carts without the toil of listing them on the internet.  A
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:14:25 PM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
VideoGameRescue
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »

I have a small video game store at a flea market in Jacksonville, Florida. Am i allowed to invite everyone to my store? If so I'll give the info Smiley

Also I think ill go here this week and give an update
A new store has opened in my small town of Keystone Heights, Fl.  Its called Games n Electronics. 

Bring an Old Friend Back to Life!
www.VideoGameRescue.com
monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »

Play N Trade
Hope Chapel Rd.
Jackson, NJ

Nice small shop. Owner is always the only one I see there and knows his stuff. Sometimes the prices aren't always the most competitive but it's the only store (that I know of, in the county at least) that carries anything older than 2005. Pretty good selection considering that fact and it does seem to change with semi frequency.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »

There are not many specialty stores in my area. I avoid Gamestop like the plague because of their shitty service, quality, and prices (At least in my area). I usually pick up games at local thrift stores, pawn shops, garage sales, Craigslist ect... But when I'm looking for specific games or the impulse buy I buy from Destiny Games. Fair prices great service and very knowledgeable staff members. They have great selections from old to new systems. Anyone in the Metro Detroit area should check them out.

42134 Ford Rd
Canton, MI 48187
(734) 404-5548

http://www.destiny-games.com/Store

It's 8 months later, but I wanted to second this.  I don't get out there that much since it's like a 30 minute drive, but this place is really awesome.  The owner is a really nice guy that'll gladly shoot the shit with you on top of the great selection and good prices.  I've probably bought 50+ games from these guys since the start of the year.
Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »

People Play Games in Chicago, TN
Don't you mean Chicago, IL?  I have been to that store and they do have an AMAZING selection.  However I found the people working there less than cool.  Most people who work at non-chain retro stores get somewhat excited and more friendly when I tell them I'm a collector.  I always try and chat with them since it almost always leads to "deals".  I did not find this to be true at this place.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length