RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:31:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration Archives | Weekly Poll 11/18/07 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Do you think you should have to pay for Xbox Live?
Yes, it is a great community and if we didn't pay the service would not be as nice.   -3 (13.6%)
Yes, but it should cost less.   -5 (22.7%)
No, it should be free.   -9 (40.9%)
I'm not sure.  It could go either way for me.   -4 (18.2%)
I don't care. I don't like Xbox or Microsoft!   -1 (4.5%)
Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Weekly Poll 11/18/07  (Read 5240 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: November 18, 2007, 11:23:50 AM »

So far online play for the PS3 and Wii is free.  Do you think we should pay for Xbox Live?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 11:40:05 AM »

Paying to play online is the one reason I don't have a 360. 

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 12:23:26 PM »

I voted "Yes. But it should cost less.".

While I'd like to see it be a free service, They do give out a lot of free content over the course of a year, including free XBLA games, to offset the cost of membership somewhat. The most recent being Carcassone (normally an 800 point/$10.00 game).

And considering all the free demos out there for most new releases (in addition to 1 for every XBLA game), and DLC in the form of maps, missions (ES4, etc.), that often become available for free (sometimes for a limited time, sometimes permanently), it justifies the cost of the membership.

Just like anyone else, I'd like to see the service be free of course. But I wouldn't want to if it sacrifices quality. For $4.17 a month (for a yearly membership), it provides more value than subscribing to most of the monthly gaming magazines out there, imo. Cool

BTW, people pay more to play WoW...one game...than the cost of the XBLA service to be able to play ALL the available online games on the 360.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 12:27:01 PM by phoenix1967 » Logged

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 01:09:59 PM »

I voted for Dont Care.  I don't own a 360 and if I did would likely not play online.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 01:12:53 PM »

I say it should be free. Just look at Sony's online service. It's almost as good as XBL, but it's free. Why can't MS do that?

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »

While I'd like to see it be a free service, They do give out a lot of free content over the course of a year, including free XBLA games, to offset the cost of membership somewhat. The most recent being Carcassone (normally an 800 point/$10.00 game).

And considering all the free demos out there for most new releases (in addition to 1 for every XBLA game), and DLC in the form of maps, missions (ES4, etc.), that often become available for free (sometimes for a limited time, sometimes permanently), it justifies the cost of the membership.

that might be ok in the USA but i know here in England we dont get the free XBLA games and rarely get free content either so at £40 a year (approx.$80) its not that good a value considered the others are free BUT, i have never played a game online on the other 2 machines even though i own them, i have bought versions of a game on the 360 just so i can play it on a service i pay for and to get achievements, nither really are a good reason.

so over all i think it should be cheaper but i feel paying for it might get you an over all better service, but then it might not Smiley

Tan
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »

When the tiny PS3 or Wii online presence grows to the proportions that XBL enjoys after 5 years and still offers a stable, feature rich, reliable service, only then will this even be an issue.

One solace of a paid service is that it forces them to maintain a level of quality that can't be negotiated. With a free service they could dictate the terms and change them as they see fit, or take longer with maintenance or resolution of issues.

To be honest i'd hardly call the Wii's online service a competitior to either the PS3 or the 360. Having no voice chat in-game is so behind the times, you might as well be playing against bots for all the good it'll do you.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 02:49:36 PM »

I vote it should be free. Because while there isn't much of a MMORPG presence on the 360 yet, it is stupid having to pay for a Live account and the online fee for these games as well such as Final Fantasy XI.

A better system would be for Live to be free, but gold membership or whatever to cost a fee, but reward people with discounts and freebies for their loyalty.

Tan
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 03:25:38 PM »

I vote it should be free. Because while there isn't much of a MMORPG presence on the 360 yet, it is stupid having to pay for a Live account and the online fee for these games as well such as Final Fantasy XI.

A better system would be for Live to be free, but gold membership or whatever to cost a fee, but reward people with discounts and freebies for their loyalty.

You mean like how XBL Silver is free and allows you to use all the features of Live except online play, and Gold which costs money allows online play, access to content before Silver members and Gold only content? Or how games like Phantasy Star Universe can be played online without a Gold membership, only the game subscription  fee. Wink
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 03:50:32 PM »

that might be ok in the USA but i know here in England we dont get the free XBLA games and rarely get free content either so at £40 a year (approx.$80) its not that good a value considered the others are free BUT, i have never played a game online on the other 2 machines even though i own them, i have bought versions of a game on the 360 just so i can play it on a service i pay for and to get achievements, nither really are a good reason.

so over all i think it should be cheaper but i feel paying for it might get you an over all better service, but then it might not Smiley

Yeah, pretty much.

I got this year's subscription for about £30 from ebay. Most likely from someone who bought up loads of cheap Xbox 1 Live Starter Packs. That's still very expensive. I hardly even play online so I don't know why I bought it.

Paying supposedly keeps the knobs off but it doesn't.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 04:48:46 AM »

You mean like how XBL Silver is free and allows you to use all the features of Live except online play, and Gold which costs money allows online play, access to content before Silver members and Gold only content? Or how games like Phantasy Star Universe can be played online without a Gold membership, only the game subscription  fee. Wink
In that case its no biggie, provided all online games that require their own fee go the same path as PSU.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 08:32:39 PM »

When the tiny PS3 or Wii online presence grows to the proportions that XBL enjoys after 5 years and still offers a stable, feature rich, reliable service, only then will this even be an issue.

One solace of a paid service is that it forces them to maintain a level of quality that can't be negotiated. With a free service they could dictate the terms and change them as they see fit, or take longer with maintenance or resolution of issues.

To be honest i'd hardly call the Wii's online service a competitior to either the PS3 or the 360. Having no voice chat in-game is so behind the times, you might as well be playing against bots for all the good it'll do you.

I voted Yes, but it should cost less.  Naturally I would like it free but they do have to maintain the servers, etc.  I myself do not have a 360 or a Live account but from what I read it's not a bad deal and they do have free games and such to download at times.  Also, like Tan said you get better quality this with having to pay instead of waiting for your maintenance and such with a non-pay system.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »

I understand the benefits of XBL but more games I play on PC have free game servers so it's something I'd certainly like from a console. Demos are certainly an important asset considering it'll attract sceptical gamers on a new release. I'm still waiting for the day when the bulk of a game is installed onto a console to create less disc-data reliance during gameplay.

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 11:18:26 PM »

Should be free. Only reason it's in place is to help M$ out of the red, which it ain't ever gonna leave.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 04:14:05 PM »

I think it is fine how it is.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length