RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 05:13:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 793217 times)
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2007, 05:16:10 PM »

I've heard quick formats can make hard drives very slightly less reliable than a full format. For the sake of a few hours I'd rather not take the chance. I've only ever formatted one hard drive, roughly one year ago. So I didn't entirely know what I was doing. At the rate it's going it looks like it will finish at 3am.

That was mainly an excuse for my ineptitude. I was so excited I missed the option for a quick format. I suppose now that it's doing a full format I can't stop it and do a quick format.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2007, 05:53:35 PM »

Well, I am now a uncle. My sister was scheduled for a C-section at 8:30 this morning because the baby wasn't in the right position, so we all got to the hospital at about 7:00 and were waiting but they did an ultrasound and found that the baby moved last night/early this morning into the right position so she had a natural birth. The doctor predicted she'd have it at around 1:30 so at 2:00 my mom went down to her room and found out that she had already had it at 1.
It's a girl girl, named Ashlynn, and she was 6lb 15oz. (3.6kg).

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2007, 06:29:29 PM »

Congrats for you and your sister!

Hello World.
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2007, 07:38:03 PM »

Congrats!

Also, I hope everybody has a fun filled night tonight. (and a safe one too) party

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2008, 01:06:58 AM »

FIRST POST OF THE NEW YEAR!
At least in our timezone....

TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2008, 03:02:48 AM »

Huhzah!

Hello World.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2008, 03:03:44 PM »

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwn

Had a nice lobster dinner last night.

When shall his new form be revealed?
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwn

Had a nice lobster dinner last night.

Hard to beat lobster.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2008, 03:45:26 PM »

New hard drive = Borked

Probably.

I dunno.

It kept disappearing in Windows then eventually Windows wouldn't boot with it connected. It would show the Windows loading screen then go blank.

dunce
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »

Sounds like an exchange is in order.

Hello World.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2008, 07:35:18 PM »

I asked on a computing forum (Obviously with more information than "Borked") and the general view is that it needs to go back. Sad

I'm just a bit nervous about it being found to not be faulty because they charge for collection, testing and return +VAT if it isn't faulty. (Comes to around £30 somehow)

PS: Well done NES_Rules on becoming an uncle. It looks like I ignored that post but I didn't.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2008, 08:23:45 PM »

I asked on a computing forum (Obviously with more information than "Borked") and the general view is that it needs to go back. Sad

I'm just a bit nervous about it being found to not be faulty because they charge for collection, testing and return +VAT if it isn't faulty. (Comes to around £30 somehow)

There are a few ways to determine if it's the drive that is the problem.  The first thing I would try is plugging another hard drive (one that is known to be functional) into the same port that the questionable drive was on.  If that functions flawlessly, then it is likely a bad hard drive.  If not, then you might want to try a different data cord and a different port on the motherboard if possible.  Additionally, most hard drive manufacturers have a diagnostic tool that you can download.  Find that program and run the test on the bad drive.  (I have assumed that this is an internal hard drive.  I don't know much about external hard drive problems, except for the usual IRQ issues.)

Hope this helps. 

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2008, 04:58:08 AM »

Yeah, I tried all of that. Different sata cables, different power cables, different sockets, different hard drives in each socket, I disconnected another hard drive while trying to use the new one. I couldn't boot into Windows with the new drive connected so I ran a diagnostic tool from a boot disk which said it failed on reallocated sectors. That's probably because of bad formatting. Undecided I couldn't format the drive with the tools on the boot disk for some reason. Eventually I couldn't even get past the POST screen while the drive was connected.

I've got an RMA number anyway.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2008, 06:32:29 AM »

Yeah, that sounds like a bad drive. 

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2008, 07:48:43 AM »

Wow PC talk!

I almost want to start upgrading my PC.
As soon as i hit the post button and wait for the screen to reload i will remember why i have not done so in the last almost 10 months.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length